scale

Default Teflon Pipe Tape or TFE Paste Thread Compound with Teflon for Galvanized to ABS Threads??

I am about to thread together my sink drain down at the huge waste tube
for the house. I have ran all ABS and it will be threading on to a
1/2in galvanized pipe that branches out of my main chute for the house

My question is...i have blue (thin) Red (medium) and yellow (gas but
thick) teflon tape. I also have Some TFE Paste with Teflon in a small
jar (i think this is refered to as pipe dope).

What is the best sealing connection for this type of setup?

What do you pros use? I dont want leaks

Thanks in advance for the replies.

SQLit

"scale" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am about to thread together my sink drain down at the huge waste tube
for the house. I have ran all ABS and it will be threading on to a
1/2in galvanized pipe that branches out of my main chute for the house

0.5 inch seems pretty small for a drain. ABS is not pressure tested, I would
not use it for a supply line.

My question is...i have blue (thin) Red (medium) and yellow (gas but
thick) teflon tape. I also have Some TFE Paste with Teflon in a small
jar (i think this is refered to as pipe dope).

The tape color is basically the thickness of the Teflon tape. I tend to use
tape and pipe dope, but that is what the plumber that taught me told me to
do.

CR

"scale" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am about to thread together my sink drain down at the huge waste tube
for the house. I have ran all ABS and it will be threading on to a
1/2in galvanized pipe that branches out of my main chute for the house

My question is...i have blue (thin) Red (medium) and yellow (gas but
thick) teflon tape. I also have Some TFE Paste with Teflon in a small
jar (i think this is refered to as pipe dope).

What is the best sealing connection for this type of setup?

What do you pros use? I dont want leaks

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Plumbers that I work with have told me to always use both. Two wraps of tape
and then the teflon paste. Tighten by hand then no more than one half turn
more. More joints leak from being over tightened than too loose.
CR

Toller

"CR" wrote in message
m...

"scale" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am about to thread together my sink drain down at the huge waste tube
for the house. I have ran all ABS and it will be threading on to a
1/2in galvanized pipe that branches out of my main chute for the house

My question is...i have blue (thin) Red (medium) and yellow (gas but
thick) teflon tape. I also have Some TFE Paste with Teflon in a small
jar (i think this is refered to as pipe dope).

What is the best sealing connection for this type of setup?

What do you pros use? I dont want leaks

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Plumbers that I work with have told me to always use both. Two wraps of
tape
and then the teflon paste.

Yes they have told me that also, though I have found tape to be quite
adequate.

Tighten by hand then no more than one half turn
more. More joints leak from being over tightened than too loose.

Assuming you don't use enough force to actually damage the theads, I don't
see how making it tight could cause a leak.