Todd H.

Default tile - changing color via a newer process?

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

I _think_ this may be known as reglazing, but I'm not certain.

Anyone have any more info on that? I've googled and found some
refereences to a Glasstech 9000 process, but remarkably little seems
to be said about this process as a whole. I'm considering it as a
means to dress up a bathroom in preparation for home sale and would
welcome any further to educate myself on choosing refinishers to do
this work.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Charles Spitzer

"Todd H." wrote in message ...

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

I _think_ this may be known as reglazing, but I'm not certain.

Anyone have any more info on that? I've googled and found some
refereences to a Glasstech 9000 process, but remarkably little seems
to be said about this process as a whole. I'm considering it as a
means to dress up a bathroom in preparation for home sale and would
welcome any further to educate myself on choosing refinishers to do
this work.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

it's a paint, and no, it's not worth it. give the buyer a tile allowance or
price the house less to start with.

SQLit

"Todd H." wrote in message ...

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

I _think_ this may be known as reglazing, but I'm not certain.

Anyone have any more info on that? I've googled and found some
refereences to a Glasstech 9000 process, but remarkably little seems
to be said about this process as a whole. I'm considering it as a
means to dress up a bathroom in preparation for home sale and would
welcome any further to educate myself on choosing refinishers to do
this work.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

The only "reglazing" that I have seen is for bathtubs. A friend checked into
it and it was more expensive than replacing the tub... which we did.

Put the home on the market and see what happens. Clean and uncluttered
works for me. If the home does not sell or offers are way below what your
asking then consider spending the money

Richard J Kinch

Todd H. writes:

Anyone have any more info on that?

Tile and glaze are made at thousands of degrees. No retrofit is going to
involve that. You're looking at some kind of paint, perhaps epoxy based.
Duane Bozarth

"Todd H." wrote:

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

I _think_ this may be known as reglazing, but I'm not certain.

Anyone have any more info on that? I've googled and found some
refereences to a Glasstech 9000 process, but remarkably little seems
to be said about this process as a whole. I'm considering it as a
means to dress up a bathroom in preparation for home sale and would
welcome any further to educate myself on choosing refinishers to do
this work.

These are almost (if not all) franchisee operations from a "veritable
plethora" of outfits but all are variations of an epoxy or acrylic
surface application. Better ones will do a good job of resurfacing the
existing to get a good bond, others may simply hand sand a little and
go...

I'm w/ the respondent who suggested first just putting it on the market
unless it's really ugly or stained...you could always do it if it seems
to be a stumbling block at that point. If you do, you'll probably have
to disclose it in order to cya in case it starts failing after a sale in
short order...

G Henslee

Todd H. wrote:
I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

WTF does a realtor know???
Duane Bozarth

G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:
I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

WTF does a realtor know???

What superficial cosmetics cab make a house sell faster, maybe???
Todd H.

Duane Bozarth writes:
G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:
I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

WTF does a realtor know???

What superficial cosmetics can make a house sell faster, maybe???

Ding! :-)

This is a quite updated yet 1970 construction home, and the blue/green
aquamarine tile color is the last vestige of anything predating the
last decade, so this tile is begging for an update. When I found out
I could get it turned white and have it still look like tile for about
$400 I was pretty intrigued.

This process seems interesting because so few folks--including some
very experienced pro's I've talked to in my neighborhood, and
pro-sumer grade rehabber types--seem to be informed about it.

I've had 2 estimates on the job from tub/tile reglazing guys
today--both within about $15 of each other. Neither mentioned a
franchise or anything--one mentioned that he uses 2 different
suppliers of tile reglazing materials, so it didn't seem like super
secret hush hush stuff. He'll be able to match my bathtub color as he
has several shades of white available. Both were independent 1-man
operations in the yellow pages under "bathroom updating" or some such.
Barring anything new here, I'm inclined to work with the first guy
that's available.

Anyone else with any direct experience with the process I'd welcome
any insights!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Duane Bozarth

"Todd H." wrote:

Duane Bozarth writes:
G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:
[...]

No direct experience -- my experience has been that all the providers
I've been aware of were either franchises or guys who had bought the
initial training then went on their own. There was a big stink in E TN
over this when the franchiser tried to sue/close down a couple of guys
there for "trade secret" infringement. There's a new service here in
town who just started up--bought the training from an outfit online like
the "Make A Million In Real Estate" and "Refinish Furniture for Mucho
Moolah" or "Be A Quantum Mechanic--Eat Steak!" shills. What success
he's had I don't know.

I really don't know how successful the rework is for more than a short
time--I have doubts that it would be a good investment in the long run
but might pay in a short-term scenario such as yours although it could
turn out to be a disservice to the new owner. That could get into some
nebulous areas disclosure, etc.

Curiousity--did either of these guys provide a longevity warranty?
G Henslee

Duane Bozarth wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

WTF does a realtor know???

What superficial cosmetics cab make a house sell faster, maybe???

Specifically, WTF does a realtor know about a tile reglazing technique.
Answer is they don't know **** about it. Most realtors know 2 things.
Charge 6% or more to list the property and then turn it all over to a
title company to process when a buyer comes along. Secondly they know
how to keep their license to steal current with the state.

Todd H.

G Henslee writes:
Duane Bozarth wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after it's
processed.

WTF does a realtor know???

What superficial cosmetics cab make a house sell faster, maybe???

Specifically, WTF does a realtor know about a tile reglazing
technique. Answer is they don't know **** about it.

This particular realtor I spoke with appears to know more than most
here on the subject at hand--i.e. that the process exists and does
deliver a neutral color on existing tile in good condition for about
$400. The more I talk to the reglazing guys (I've spoken with 3 now),
they all say "Yeah I hear 'i didn't know that was possible' at least
once a day."

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
G Henslee

Todd H. wrote:
G Henslee writes:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:

[...]

If you consider this you should contact a licensed pro. It's a process
that takes careful thorough preperation and application.
Todd H.

G Henslee writes:

If you consider this you should contact a licensed pro. It's a
process that takes careful thorough preperation and application.

Oh absolutely! I wouldn't dare deal with some of the fairly nasty
chemicals here myself. Thanks for the reply.

Here's a web page of a place that appears to use the Kott system that
one of the folks I'm considering uses. It appears to have lower
toxicity and better adhesion than competing processes, but has a
longer drying time (72 hrs).
http://www.customglaze.com/about_resurfacing.html

I need to circle back and find out more details on the process used by
the other folks I've talked to.

Thanks all for the input.
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
SQLit

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
G Henslee writes:
Duane Bozarth wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day after

it's
processed.

WTF does a realtor know???
What superficial cosmetics cab make a house sell faster, maybe???

Specifically, WTF does a realtor know about a tile reglazing
technique. Answer is they don't know **** about it.

This particular realtor I spoke with appears to know more than most
here on the subject at hand--i.e. that the process exists and does
deliver a neutral color on existing tile in good condition for about
$400.

Tile is created from clay and then baked in a kiln once for color and then
again for the glaze. Anything that can take that out and still meet the EPA
guidelines for $400, I am interested in.

$400 says to me epoxy paint.

I am in suspenders, post the information from the realtor. Phone number,
address, name, web page etc...
Me thinks that when the request for info comes there will be a stalling
tactic or "that is not what I meant."

--------snipped----------------------

G Henslee

SQLit wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message ...

G Henslee writes:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

G Henslee wrote:

Todd H. wrote:

[...]

"Reglazing" is misleading, even though the guys that do their finish's
glaze. I would hope that most people understand they are not getting
their tile actully 'reglazed'. Refinishing would be a better term.

Depends upon what the definition of is, is I spose.

The 'refinishing' process as stated by one contractor goes:

Step 1: Strip out the old caulk form around the tub and unscrew the
overflow plate (when possible)
Step 2: Set-up our powerful negative ventilation system & chemically
clean the tub and lightly sand it.
Step 3: Remove the drain cover, clean & sand the area.
Step 4: Acid etch the tub removing the old finish leaving it dull and
ready to prime. This step is key!
Step 5: Repair most chips 100% free using a special patching compound.
Step 6: Sand and blend the patched areas and sterilize the entire tub.
Step 7: Mask off the entire room including the floor.
Step 8: Set-up our hot turbine air compressor & remote air supply
Step 9: Apply the chemical primer including a powerful bonding agent
designed to bond to ceramic.
Step 10: Spray 2-3 coats of primer and allow it to dry.
Step 11: Tac-cloth and smooth the tub and install your free glazed in
anti-slip grip base.
Step 12: Mix our 2 part top coat consisting of a catalyst & resign, let
it induct & prepare to spray the top coat.
Step 13: Spray the tub giving you a total of 6+ coats leaving you with
amazing like new results.
Step 14: Clean up and remove the masking and pack up our equipment.
Step 15: Caulk the tub & put back any hardware that was removed
SQLit

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
G Henslee writes:

If you consider this you should contact a licensed pro. It's a
process that takes careful thorough preperation and application.

Oh absolutely! I wouldn't dare deal with some of the fairly nasty
chemicals here myself. Thanks for the reply.

Here's a web page of a place that appears to use the Kott system that
one of the folks I'm considering uses. It appears to have lower
toxicity and better adhesion than competing processes, but has a
longer drying time (72 hrs).
http://www.customglaze.com/about_resurfacing.html

I need to circle back and find out more details on the process used by
the other folks I've talked to.

Thanks all for the input.
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

from web page supplied
" If you would like a complete copy of the testing reports as well as a
specially prepared report on the dangers of urethane paints, ask Custom
Glaze for the details, we will be happy to forward those reports to you. "

http://www.ecohome.org/ecolution/eco.../6eco_ren.html

My searches with Google seem to indicate that the product has been around
for some time.
(Unbeknownst to me)
Kott franchises the products so your left with the installer. $400 bucks
for a tile tub surround seems cheap to me. But what do I know.

Todd H.

"SQLit" writes:

from web page supplied " If you would like a complete copy of the
testing reports as well as a specially prepared report on the
dangers of urethane paints, ask Custom Glaze for the details, we
will be happy to forward those reports to you. "

http://www.ecohome.org/ecolution/eco.../6eco_ren.html

Correct. The Kott dudes don't use the urethane paints, so they're
marketing to highlight dangers of the competing process.

My searches with Google seem to indicate that the product has been around
for some time.
(Unbeknownst to me)

Yeah, I guess it's been around for 15 years or more.

Kott franchises the products so your left with the installer. $400
bucks for a tile tub surround seems cheap to me. But what do I
know.

Yes it does seem very cost effective, hence the appeal!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Todd H.

G Henslee writes:
SQLit wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message ...
Todd H. wrote:

[...]

G,

This is indeed what the process I had done by a franchiee of Kott
Koatings http://kottkoatings.com/ did for my bathroom described above,
and it was a fantastic success. A 2 person team came with one
focusing on the labor intensive prep work and the other doing the
coating itself and donning the big honkin respirator. The friggin
tile looks brand new, a brilliant white, and all the icky green of the
old tile and the stained grout are now a lovely uniform shade of
white. For a whopping $375.

This process took 72 hours to be ready for showering. This is by no
means a low odor process--it stinks to high heaven, but is habitable
within an hour after they're done. I'd give a solid 2 days before
showing the place to anyone though. For showering, I gave it 72
hours, caulked the area with 100% silicone caulk, and gave it another
24 hours for the caulk to cure and it has been a joy to look at versus
the old green aquamarine eyesore tile. It literally looks brand
new--and surely looks a better than I could've done retiling, that's
for damned sure.

Thumbs up--the process works, and is pretty amazing. Interesting how
so few people know about it.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
ameijers

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
G Henslee writes:
SQLit wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message

Todd H. wrote:

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a

Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new

process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day
after

"Reglazing" is misleading, even though the guys that do their finish's
glaze. I would hope that most people understand they are not getting
their tile actully 'reglazed'. Refinishing would be a better term.

Depends upon what the definition of is, is I spose.

The 'refinishing' process as stated by one contractor goes:

(snip)
[...]

But what will it look like in five years? That is the big question for most
refinishing processes for hard surfaces- tile, tub, siding, your car,
whatever. A fresh paint job on anything usually looks better- the trick is
putting on a finish that holds up. Hope your refinish job holds up, but I
still have my doubts about durability. Seen too many failed tub 'reglaze'
jobs.

aem sends...

Todd H.

"ameijers" writes:
But what will it look like in five years?

Even if it's total crap in 5 years, it's still 5 years where it's NOT
blue/green aquamarine. :-)

But according to this individual's references which I checked, he's
been doing their rental unit tubs/tiles for over 8 years and they
haven't had any problems.

Durability is the concern, of course, but on the bang/buck scale, it's
very hard to argue against the aesthetic bang you get out of this
process, even if it only lasts 5 years.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Dear Todd,
I just want to let you know about Hard Tops, a company specializing in
refinishing for over 15 years. The owner formulated his own methods and
products, and are proving to be the best in the world. The products and
processes are exclusive to Hard Tops + Affiliates. The life expectancy
of the polymerized acryllic urethane coatings are over 15 years, and
you get a 1-year warranty on the work.
Check out the website to find a refinisher near you:
http://www.hardtops.com/affiliates.asp
Also, feel free to give Hard Tops a call @ 1-800-687-7188 if you would
like to know more about the company.
Todd H. wrote:
"ameijers" writes:
But what will it look like in five years?

Even if it's total crap in 5 years, it's still 5 years where it's NOT
blue/green aquamarine. :-)

But according to this individual's references which I checked, he's
been doing their rental unit tubs/tiles for over 8 years and they
haven't had any problems.

Durability is the concern, of course, but on the bang/buck scale, it's
very hard to argue against the aesthetic bang you get out of this
process, even if it only lasts 5 years.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

removing tile mastic from plaster walls Jane Home Repair 5 February 23rd 05 01:12 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
PlasPlugs tile cutter?? What a load of pants Ben UK diy 24 April 30th 04 09:54 AM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM