Todd H.

G Henslee writes:
SQLit wrote:
"Todd H." wrote in message ...
Todd H. wrote:

I have some lovely 70's light green tile in a shower that a Realtor
indicator could be changed to a more neutral color with a new process
that's inexpensive, fast to do and you can use the same day
after

"Reglazing" is misleading, even though the guys that do their finish's
glaze. I would hope that most people understand they are not getting
their tile actully 'reglazed'. Refinishing would be a better term.

Depends upon what the definition of is, is I spose.

The 'refinishing' process as stated by one contractor goes:

Step 1: Strip out the old caulk form around the tub and unscrew the
overflow plate (when possible)
Step 2: Set-up our powerful negative ventilation system & chemically
clean the tub and lightly sand it.
Step 3: Remove the drain cover, clean & sand the area.
Step 4: Acid etch the tub removing the old finish leaving it dull and
ready to prime. This step is key!
Step 5: Repair most chips 100% free using a special patching compound.
Step 6: Sand and blend the patched areas and sterilize the entire tub.
Step 7: Mask off the entire room including the floor.
Step 8: Set-up our hot turbine air compressor & remote air supply
Step 9: Apply the chemical primer including a powerful bonding agent
designed to bond to ceramic.
Step 10: Spray 2-3 coats of primer and allow it to dry.
Step 11: Tac-cloth and smooth the tub and install your free glazed in
anti-slip grip base.
Step 12: Mix our 2 part top coat consisting of a catalyst & resign,
let it induct & prepare to spray the top coat.
Step 13: Spray the tub giving you a total of 6+ coats leaving you with
amazing like new results.
Step 14: Clean up and remove the masking and pack up our equipment.
Step 15: Caulk the tub & put back any hardware that was removed

G,

This is indeed what the process I had done by a franchiee of Kott
Koatings http://kottkoatings.com/ did for my bathroom described above,
and it was a fantastic success. A 2 person team came with one
focusing on the labor intensive prep work and the other doing the
coating itself and donning the big honkin respirator. The friggin
tile looks brand new, a brilliant white, and all the icky green of the
old tile and the stained grout are now a lovely uniform shade of
white. For a whopping $375.

This process took 72 hours to be ready for showering. This is by no
means a low odor process--it stinks to high heaven, but is habitable
within an hour after they're done. I'd give a solid 2 days before
showing the place to anyone though. For showering, I gave it 72
hours, caulked the area with 100% silicone caulk, and gave it another
24 hours for the caulk to cure and it has been a joy to look at versus
the old green aquamarine eyesore tile. It literally looks brand
new--and surely looks a better than I could've done retiling, that's
for damned sure.

Thumbs up--the process works, and is pretty amazing. Interesting how
so few people know about it.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.