Ben

Default Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General

A few months ago I posted to this group about my tile showing an indentation
directly on top where the subfloor meets. I also explained how one of the
tiles cracked, the installer replaced them, but then the indentation came
back and now 5 of the tiles have cracked. Based on various responses from
this group, I contacted the Attorney General since the installer was blaming
it on a structual issue. The installer still claims this and refuses to do
anything else. It appears to me that he did not ensure the subfloor was
properly secured to the joists and that should be his problem.

I would like to know if anyone has some good suggestions to go back to the
Attorney General and installer with.

My original message posted some time ago was:

I had a new home built in August 2000 and about a year later noticed that
one of the tiles was cracked down the middle. This had me look at all the
tiles and noticed that an indentation was going down the center of numerous
tiles...happens to be right above where the floor boards meet.

The builder had the tile guy replace the cracked tile, which caused the next
tile in line to crack. However, they waited until May 2002 and the replaced
tile did not crack again...at that time they removed all the tile that
showed an indentation and the associated wonder board. It was replaced with
new wonder board (just the portion below each 12 X 12 tile (usually in a
line of tiles), tile, and grout.

Well, sadly, it is now showing the indentation on every tile that was
replaced.

The tile guy claims he has never seen this before and does not know what to
do. I looked at another house he worked on and it too has the same issue.

I watched him do the job and it appeared to be a good one, but I am not a
tile expert.

I need some ideas on what could be wrong and what I should do.

Any experts out there?

Ben

Tom J

"Ben" wrote in message

I had a new home built in August 2000 and about a year later noticed that
one of the tiles was cracked down the middle. This had me look at all the
tiles and noticed that an indentation was going down the center of

numerous
tiles...happens to be right above where the floor boards meet.

Your beef is with the builder, not the tile guy. Something is giving under
the tile or they wouldn't be cracking.

Tom J

MLD

Daughter had the exact same problem. Many cracked tiles and all were where
the subfloor sections butted together. Called in another tile contractor, a
number of tiles were pulled up and diagnosis was that the nails on the
subfloor were spaced too far apart, thus allowing the subfloor to move.
Tile contractor resisted making amends, very large floor, expensive
tile --Turned out, he had a new employee do the nailing---documented
everything in a letter--small claims court was next--won a judgment--guy
pleaded poor, judge made him bring in bank statements, business statements
to show how poor he was. He wasn't poor, lost again and was instructed to
show up in court on a specific date ready to pay in full; he laughed and
said that he never would. He never showed up for his court
appearance--daughter got an arrest warrant issued by the court. Several
days later he was picked by the Sheriff up at his home at 5 AM. Came before
the judge in handcuffs and was told pay the restitution or stay in jail.
His daughter was there, whipped out a roll of bills and paid my daughter in
the spot. He also paid for the labor of ripping out the old floor--case
closed.
MLD
"Ben" wrote in message
[...]

Ben

Do you have a garden bathtub or jacuzzi? When filled with water it is
too heavy for the framing. Yell at the builder.

All tile is affected, which is more than just the master bathroom that does
have a jacuzzi.

mark Ransley

1 You have been screwed
2 Call the bldg inspector, get opinion.
3 Get 4 estimates to fix problem
4 File a lawsuit in court , small claims
if max limit will do it
5 subpeona all, or inspector
6 go to court
7 DA probably will say same
8 move the ball its your game
9 have a drink to many
greater than small claim and you want
pay to loose and spend years in court
11 an atty will blow my thinking here tonight
because he is an atty
12 I have done it so have millions
13 Go for it you paid for it

Ben

Was the type of floor covering being planned known to the builder while
he was designing, planning and constructing the house?

Yes, the builder knew what areas were to be tiled.

If so, and the tile guy checked as I think you are now thinking he
should have, what would the tile guy have told you, and who would you
want to fix the substandard flooring? Obviously you think a few pounds
of additional nails or screws would solve the problem of the decking
being too thin to prevent it and possibly the joists from flexing?

He claimed he checked and all looked fine. However, being a little more
experienced now, I have noticed that they nailed the floor to the joists
with liquid nails. However, there were sections where the joist was missed.

Who
chose and specked the subfloor material and did the initial nailing?

My guess, the builder.

Why
nails if tile were to be used?

Dunno. Is that not code?

And without additional nails/screws,
wouldn't the original design "move" regardless of the type of floor
covering?

Yes, but it appears that only a hard surface like tile would be
affected...not carpet or even possibly vinyl flooring.

wayne

First thing

The geeral contractor hired the tile guy not you correct?

If so your beef is with the general and you could care less about the tile
guy. He and you have no direct relationship!

Second since you say other people have a similar problem you should notify
the builder you are going to file a

"Construction Defect" claim against him and are looking at having it turned
into a class action

You don't mention whcih state you are in but most states take construction
defect claims pretty seriously and the builder would wind up spending big
bucks trying to defend himself if they didn't put down backerboard and
stagger the joints!

Tell the builder you want all the tile torn up and the underlayment put down
correctly if that is the problem!

Contact your local TV "Consumer reporter

If several homes have the same problem is should make a great story!

Wayne