Old March 15th 19, 08:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How do they put the flux in solder?

I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

Old March 15th 19, 08:37 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/03/2019 4:24 pm, wrote:
I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

Google "Extrusion"
Old March 15th 19, 10:25 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:24:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

A lot like putting stripes on toothpaste, which is also clearly impossible.
Old March 15th 19, 11:31 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

On 15/03/2019 4:24 pm,
wrote:
I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

Google "Extrusion"

Or try
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_(confectionery)

Mike.
Old March 15th 19, 07:20 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/03/15 3:25 a.m., whit3rd wrote:
On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 1:24:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a box of 18 gauge solder that says it has 5 cores. Putting one
core in solder that thin seems impossible. and this has five. How do
they make it?

A lot like putting stripes on toothpaste, which is also clearly impossible.

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Old March 15th 19, 07:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

It starts, as you suggest, as a much larger tube, and then is drawn to the correct diameter.

https://static.makeuseof.com/wp-cont...er-640x240.jpg Is a picture of single-core solder. 5-core takes a little bit more care, and will not be possible with the more brittle formulas.

The key is keeping the tin/lead admixture annealed during the entire drawing process, yet not so warm as to melt. Noble metals do much better at this than others, and lead is very nearly a metaloid in any case - so this is not a casual exercise. The multiple cores serve to spread the rosin more evenly, so it is not just hype.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old March 15th 19, 08:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:20:08 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and lay
flat on a cold surface until set?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 15th 19, 09:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2019/03/15 1:17 p.m., Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:20:08 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and lay
flat on a cold surface until set?

There was an musical ad in the 70s that asked that question as I
recall...but I can't remember how it went other something like "How do
they put the caramel in Cadbury's bar?"

Old March 15th 19, 09:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 15 March 2019 20:17:53 UTC, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:20:08 -0700, John Robertson wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they put the filling in the Cadbury
Caramel bars...

Form the caramel bars, freeze them, dip in a vat of hot chocolate and lay
flat on a cold surface until set?

"An enrober operates by first dipping the bottom part of a confection in a bath of liquid (chocolate is the primary coating used with such equipment). The item then passes through a curtain of liquid to complete the task."

NT