Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How do they put the flux in solder?

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 21:57:06 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 3/16/19 8:37 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 18:54:17 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

As interesting as all this confectioners lore is, it has
absolutely NOTHING to do with flux cored solder....

I don't think that's true. Why, just the other day I was brushing my
teeth with striped toothpaste after eating some some hard candy discs
that had a valentine heart shape that went clean through the candy and
it got me to thinking about multi core solder and how they make the
stuff. So there.
Eric

AFAIK the two usual methods for that sort of job are co-extrusion (as in
Blackpool Rock candy sticks, where the writing went all the way through
from one end to the other) and drawing down a preform through a
succession of wire dies. For solder, drawing down would be my guess.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

That's exactly how flux cored solder is made. Same for hypodermic
tubing. Similar process for the very small diameter glass tubing used
for injecting stuff into living cells. Except the glass is just drawn
out from a larger tube, it doesn't go through a die.
Eric