Posted to alt.home.repair

Default putting some solder on a copper pin hole --- flux or not?

I just dimpled a copper supply pipe with a screw while hanging durock.

The pinhole does not leak, but I want to put some solder in it. Do I
need to flux the pinhole as I would a regular joint or should I just
clean the copper, heat the pinhole, and melt a bit of copper in it?

Thanks.

mh

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
I just dimpled a copper supply pipe with a screw while hanging durock.

The pinhole does not leak, but I want to put some solder in it. Do I
need to flux the pinhole as I would a regular joint or should I just
clean the copper, heat the pinhole, and melt a bit of copper in it?

Thanks.

mh

Hi,
if pipe is full of water, I think it is near imposible to solder.
I understand there is some sort of epoxy for that. If there is no leak,
maybe there is no hole made. Do you have a water meter? No sign of
meter needle moving when water is not used? On my meter, if there is a
leak however samll it is, detector needle starts carwling slowly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
I just dimpled a copper supply pipe with a screw while hanging durock.

The pinhole does not leak, but I want to put some solder in it. Do I
need to flux the pinhole as I would a regular joint or should I just
clean the copper, heat the pinhole, and melt a bit of copper in it?

Thanks.

mh

Flux. Always, no exceptions or the solder won't stick 99.9% of the time. It
takes but a second to wipe some on so why would you consider any other
method?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 15, 9:20*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Flux. Always, no exceptions or the solder won't stick 99.9% of the time. It
takes but a second to wipe some on so why would you consider any other
method?

Bet you meant to say, "Clean to bright copper, then flux', right?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 1:27*am, Joe wrote:
On Jun 15, 9:20*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Flux. Always, no exceptions or the solder won't stick 99.9% of the time. It
takes but a second to wipe some on so why would you consider any other
method?

Bet you meant to say, "Clean to bright copper, then flux', right?

Joe

Simple job. Could prrobably be done while averybody here is talking
about!
Drain pipe and stick a bit of soldering on the alleged hole!
If someone has to ask how to solder pipe then get somebody else to do
it!!!!!
If it's too seriously damaged cut pipe (that will help drain it) cut
out half an inch or so and rejoin using a soldered copper coupling.
If not wanting to solder use 'compression' fitting!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2008 4:26 AM terry spake thus:

On Jun 16, 1:27 am, Joe wrote:
On Jun 15, 9:20 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Flux. Always, no exceptions or the solder won't stick 99.9% of the time. It
takes but a second to wipe some on so why would you consider any other
method?

Bet you meant to say, "Clean to bright copper, then flux', right?

If it's too seriously damaged cut pipe (that will help drain it) cut
out half an inch or so and rejoin using a soldered copper coupling.
If not wanting to solder use 'compression' fitting!

I second that emotion. Why risk it when it's such a simple repair? Drain
the line, cut it, splice in a short piece and two couplings, bingo.

(Assuming there's enough space to do this.)

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 04:26:50 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

If someone has to ask how to solder pipe then get somebody else to do
it!!!!!

Where do you get someone at 3AM?

Besides it takes all the fun out of learning; "I'm just boiling water
in the pipe!", "why don't I just drill a hole in the pipe and drain
it?"

It makes a better DIYer.