Old January 9th 19, 04:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default using acetone to clean audio cassette heads

On Wednesday, August 2, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, GHilgenber wrote:
I have a ford ranger and the cassette player has a lot of static the radio
plays fine.I have demagnetizer and cleaning tapes I was thinking of using
acetone on the heads?

Use a cleaning tape or the like . Chemicals and liquids can harm rollers and other plastic / rubber parts . Alcohol will dry out the oils in plastics and rubber , causing them to harden . Acetone will tend to dissolve these materials .

Old January 9th 19, 04:12 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:07:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 2, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, GHilgenber wrote:
I have a ford ranger and the cassette player has a lot of static the radio
plays fine.I have demagnetizer and cleaning tapes I was thinking of using
acetone on the heads?

Use a cleaning tape or the like . Chemicals and liquids can harm rollers and other plastic / rubber parts . Alcohol will dry out the oils in plastics and rubber , causing them to harden . Acetone will tend to dissolve these materials .

All those materials are 19 years older than when this topic was initiated.... So yeah, I bet they're dried out.
Old January 9th 19, 07:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, 9 January 2019 16:12:46 UTC, Terry Schwartz wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:07:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 2, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, GHilgenber wrote:

I have a ford ranger and the cassette player has a lot of static the radio
plays fine.I have demagnetizer and cleaning tapes I was thinking of using
acetone on the heads?

Use a cleaning tape or the like . Chemicals and liquids can harm rollers and other plastic / rubber parts . Alcohol will dry out the oils in plastics and rubber , causing them to harden . Acetone will tend to dissolve these materials .

All those materials are 19 years older than when this topic was initiated.... So yeah, I bet they're dried out.

cleaning tapes are almost hopeless anyway. Wet cleaning is the only effective option.

Don't use rubbing alcohol, it contains oil. Vodka is fine. Clean the pinch wheels as well. All must be bone dry before putting a tape in.

NT
Old January 10th 19, 08:07 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have a ford ranger and the cassette player has a lot of
static the radio plays fine.I have demagnetizer and cleaning
tapes I was thinking of using acetone on the heads?

Use a cleaning tape or the like . Chemicals and liquids can harm
rollers and other plastic / rubber parts . Alcohol will dry out
the oils in plastics and rubber , causing them to harden .
Acetone will tend to dissolve these materials .

All those materials are 19 years older than when this topic was
initiated.... So yeah, I bet they're dried out.

cleaning tapes are almost hopeless anyway. Wet cleaning is the only
effective option.

Don't use rubbing alcohol, it contains oil. Vodka is fine. Clean the
pinch wheels as well. All must be bone dry before putting a tape in.

The heads are metal. No worries about hardening. Who told you there was
oil in rubbing alcohol? It's alcohol and water. Period.

Heads have some insulating material imbedded. Real rubbing alcohol is
supposed to have oil to prevent skin drying too much. Most don't. Isopropyl
or ethyl cleans heads.

Greg
Old January 10th 19, 08:31 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I forget the official standard for it, but it contains rather more than water & alcohol. Looked it up last year.

NT
Old January 10th 19, 09:18 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

The body of the head is made of molded resin.
The magnetic element is made of polished folded iron.(try to look with a
microscope).
I go on saying that a good quality cleaning head is useful.
Don't forget to adjust the azimuth setting at the end.

gregz a √©crit le 10/01/2019 √* 09:07¬*:

Old January 10th 19, 10:58 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

And I suppose you have to pause your 25/hr 8-day-a-week smoking habit during this time too, right?
Old January 10th 19, 01:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, August 2, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, GHilgenber wrote:

I have a ford ranger and the cassette player has a lot of static the radio
plays fine.I have demagnetizer and cleaning tapes I was thinking of using
acetone on the heads?

As other have pointed out, the OP made his request almost 19 years
ago, but since everyone here seems to be discussing the merits of
various head cleaning methods, I have a question. How can "static" be
a symptom of dirty tape heads? Drop outs - yes. Loss of highs - yes.
Static? Sounds more like a bad connection or static electricity being
generated somewhere.