Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Terry Schwartz Terry Schwartz is offline

Default using acetone to clean audio cassette heads

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:07:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 2, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, GHilgenber wrote:
I have a ford ranger and the cassette player has a lot of static the radio
plays fine.I have demagnetizer and cleaning tapes I was thinking of using
acetone on the heads?

Use a cleaning tape or the like . Chemicals and liquids can harm rollers and other plastic / rubber parts . Alcohol will dry out the oils in plastics and rubber , causing them to harden . Acetone will tend to dissolve these materials .

All those materials are 19 years older than when this topic was initiated.... So yeah, I bet they're dried out.