Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default using acetone to clean audio cassette heads

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 10:02:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Suffice it to say that using a substance for a purpose not mentioned on the containers label just isnt what you want. Go to a trusted computer or parts retailer and specifically ask for parts cleaner, €˜head cleaner .. etc. Because it beats re-inventing the wheel, being adventuresome, gambling, etc...

There is always that.

But: Windex (a trusted name-brand cleaner) is:

Ammonia
Isopropyl Alcohol
Blue Dye
Water

Not very much of the first three, either.

Most of those here are at least somewhat sophisticated in the use of search engines. Some of us even fix things on occasion. Point being that with a small amount of research and time, we may be capable of formulating perfectly adequate cleaning solutions that are also both safe and effective. Typically, when we do this successfully, the results are fine, the costs low, and environmental impacts minimized. All good. The only significant caution(s) would be to be absolutely sure we understand the ingredients involved.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA