Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default using acetone to clean audio cassette heads

On Wednesday, 9 January 2019 16:12:46 UTC, Terry Schwartz wrote:
On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:07:57 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 2, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, GHilgenber wrote:

I have a ford ranger and the cassette player has a lot of static the radio
plays fine.I have demagnetizer and cleaning tapes I was thinking of using
acetone on the heads?

Use a cleaning tape or the like . Chemicals and liquids can harm rollers and other plastic / rubber parts . Alcohol will dry out the oils in plastics and rubber , causing them to harden . Acetone will tend to dissolve these materials .

All those materials are 19 years older than when this topic was initiated.... So yeah, I bet they're dried out.

cleaning tapes are almost hopeless anyway. Wet cleaning is the only effective option.

Don't use rubbing alcohol, it contains oil. Vodka is fine. Clean the pinch wheels as well. All must be bone dry before putting a tape in.

NT