Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default using acetone to clean audio cassette heads

In article -
september.org, says...

Don't use rubbing alcohol, it contains oil. Vodka is fine. Clean the
pinch wheels as well. All must be bone dry before putting a tape in.

The heads are metal. No worries about hardening. Who told you there was
oil in rubbing alcohol? It's alcohol and water. Period.

Heads have some insulating material imbedded. Real rubbing alcohol is
supposed to have oil to prevent skin drying too much. Most don't. Isopropyl
or ethyl cleans heads.

Rubbing alcohol seems to be a gernetic term by many.

One form is about 70% alcohol and some oils and water.

You can buy some that is about 90% alcohol and 10 % water with no other
oils in it. I have some here labled 91 % and some labled 99%. They are
isoprople alcohol and not labled rubbing alcohol. Alcohol absorbs water
from the atmosphere so before long the 99% will be much less if open to
the air.

Xylene was used at one time to clean the tape machinery. I am not sure
if it is in the stores any more or not.