Old January 14th 19, 11:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default using acetone to clean audio cassette heads

On 1/14/19 3:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Yes, it was mostly water. However, there were obscure additives
that were quite necessary, usually to solve uncommon or odd
problems. The customers were getting mostly water, but the
common ingredients and obscure additives were what they really
were buying.

Exactly. I am more than happy to pay for stuff that works instead
of mucking about trying to "make my own."

Two things of note, brake fluid really does stop weeds in your
driveway cracks, and lamp oil (paraffin oil) is considerably
cheaper than Saddle Soap.

I did learn how to make Prussic Acid, but that's pretty iffy.
I'd rather my enemies drop dead from natural causes or through
their own misfortune.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Old January 15th 19, 12:55 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 14 January 2019 23:05:12 UTC, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 1/14/19 3:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Yes, it was mostly water. However, there were obscure additives
that were quite necessary, usually to solve uncommon or odd
problems. The customers were getting mostly water, but the
common ingredients and obscure additives were what they really
were buying.

Exactly. I am more than happy to pay for stuff that works instead
of mucking about trying to "make my own."

I have more success with my own formulations than retail preparations, mostly at far less cost. I don't see any upside to going retail. I'll use them when they're good, eg washing powder, but many things it's easy to do better. Retail descalers are especially time & money wasting.

NT
Old January 16th 19, 11:08 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 11:03:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:02:07 UTC, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 08:07:13 -0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Suffice it to say that using a substance for a purpose not mentioned on the container’s label just isn’t what you want. Go to a trusted computer or parts retailer and specifically ask for ’parts cleaner’, ‘head cleaner’ .. etc. Because it beats re-inventing the wheel, being adventuresome, gambling, etc...

You won't do very well in life with that attitude.

I humbly disagree.