Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UK electronics bits/ junk shops?

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more
GWM Radio Ltd,Worthing;Techno Trade,Fareham ; Forum Stores part of
Southampton University no more; Greenweld, Southampton (trading name
continues ); Fraser Electronics, Southsea seem to be all gone.
Budgie / Kaytronic Southampton is still there but other than what is in the
window I don't know what he has, I don't think he does either.
Anyone know of any shops or even regular market stalls anywhere in the UK
still (my interest got started with a regular market pitch with electornic
surplus when a little kid). Hamfest/Radio rally sites once a year , around
the country seem to be the only hands-on outlets these days

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" writes:

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more

Is Bardwells in Sheffield any use?

http://www.bardwells.co.uk/aboutus.asp

Cheers,
Martin
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Martin Thompson wrote in message
"N_Cook" writes:

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more

Is Bardwells in Sheffield any use?

http://www.bardwells.co.uk/aboutus.asp

Cheers,
Martin

Is it internet/post only?
I'm just trying to discover if there is any shop-type outlets anywhere in
the UK

Bull is still going, Brighton way
http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/Default.htm
but no shop.
Was it them or another outlet , a shop, somewhere between Hove and Portland
, Sussex ?

Remembered another one local to me gone Afflecks , Shirley Southampton

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more GWM Radio Ltd,Worthing;Techno Trade,Fareham ; Forum Stores part of
Southampton University no more; Greenweld, Southampton (trading name
continues ); Fraser Electronics, Southsea seem to be all gone. Budgie /
Kaytronic Southampton is still there but other than what is in the
window I don't know what he has, I don't think he does either. Anyone
know of any shops or even regular market stalls anywhere in the UK still
(my interest got started with a regular market pitch with electornic
surplus when a little kid). Hamfest/Radio rally sites once a year ,
around the country seem to be the only hands-on outlets these days

Dunno if they are still on the go, but their shop was always worth a
rummage around. Lots of bargain bins. ;-)

Semiconductor Supplies International Ltd
Dawson House
128/130 Carshalton Road
Sutton
Surrey
SM1 4TW
020 8643 1126

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message
In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Roughly that area there used to be such a shop on the road between Kingston
and Surbiton , not far from what is now Kingston University. Last time I
went in there it was current computer stuff only though.

There used to be a shop in a residential part of Bournemouth , but could not
find it when I was last in that area.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 1:13 AM N_Cook spake thus:

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more
GWM Radio Ltd,Worthing;Techno Trade,Fareham ; Forum Stores part of
Southampton University no more; Greenweld, Southampton (trading name
continues ); Fraser Electronics, Southsea seem to be all gone.

Same exact thing has happened here in the San Francisco Bay Area, which
should be surprising, given that this area includes Silicon Valley. I've
seen dozens of electronics/surplus stores vanish. Haltek & Halted: gone.
Weird Stuff: still there, but a faint shadow of its former greatness.
I'm sure other folks here can name many others that are RIP.

In many places the only electronics to be obtained are at [cough] Radio
Shack ...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Same exact thing has happened here in the San Francisco Bay Area, which
should be surprising, given that this area includes Silicon Valley. I've
seen dozens of electronics/surplus stores vanish. Haltek & Halted: gone.
Weird Stuff: still there, but a faint shadow of its former greatness.
I'm sure other folks here can name many others that are RIP.

Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:

http://www.halted.com/

Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara, not far from Halted:

http://www.anchor-electronics.com/

Jameco is a mailorder supplier in Belmont, just off of 101, that has a
will-call counter where you can pick up and/or place orders:

http://www.jameco.com/

Fry's, who are responsible for the closure of many of those small electronics
suppliers, isn't worth mentioning. Other than when I do visit, the one thing
I want is out of stock. They have no intelligent stocking procedu both
high-demand and low-demand items are equally stocked. Guess which shelf space
is always empty? Brain-dead management.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
DaveC newsgroups wrote:

Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:

http://www.halted.com/

Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara, not far from Halted:

http://www.anchor-electronics.com/

Excess Solutions in Milpitas is also worth visiting.

Jameco is a mailorder supplier in Belmont, just off of 101, that has a
will-call counter where you can pick up and/or place orders:

http://www.jameco.com/

Fry's, who are responsible for the closure of many of those small electronics
suppliers, isn't worth mentioning. Other than when I do visit, the one thing
I want is out of stock. They have no intelligent stocking procedu both
high-demand and low-demand items are equally stocked. Guess which shelf space
is always empty? Brain-dead management.

No, actually, the "Brain-dead management" shelves usually seem to be
well-stocked at Fry's. I guess nobody wants to buy brain-dead
management in retail quantities (most companies seem to buy it
wholesale, and probably pay more for it that way).

:-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Jun 9, 9:05*pm, (Dave Platt) wrote:
In article ,

DaveC *newsgroups wrote:
Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:

er....the thread title says UK.
UK= United Kingdom!
just thought respectfully I'd point that out, as there have been
several irrelevant (US-related) answers here!
-B
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Jun 9, 9:13*am, "N_Cook" wrote:. Hamfest/Radio
rally sites once a year , around
the country seem to be the only hands-on outlets these days

This month is the BVWS Harpenden Auction and 'garden party' of the
vintage wireless museum. Last month was the NVCF near Rugby....quite a
few simialr events thru the year.
-B

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DaveC newsgroups wrote:
Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:

er....the thread title says UK.
UK= United Kingdom!
just thought respectfully I'd point that out, as there have been
several irrelevant (US-related) answers here!

Then he should have asked on a UK only newsgroup.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 11:41 AM DaveC spake thus:

Same exact thing has happened here in the San Francisco Bay Area, which
should be surprising, given that this area includes Silicon Valley. I've
seen dozens of electronics/surplus stores vanish. Haltek & Halted: gone.
Weird Stuff: still there, but a faint shadow of its former greatness.
I'm sure other folks here can name many others that are RIP.

Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:

http://www.halted.com/

Huh; didn't know they were still around. I used to go to their store
when they were in Mountain View, but that was a long time ago.

Jameco is a mailorder supplier in Belmont, just off of 101, that has a
will-call counter where you can pick up and/or place orders:

http://www.jameco.com/

Forgot about Jameco. Since I used to work in Belmont I used to stop by
there from time to time. Nice to be able to pick stuff up.

And of course here in the East Bay we have Al Lasher's Electronics in
Bezerkeley. Great old-time store.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 10:26 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Al Lasher's Electronics

http://www.allashers.com/

Oooooh Cool! Thanks.

--Winston
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 10:26 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

South San Francisco Bay Area

http://www.anchor-electronics.com/

Great store! (Mind the hyphen.)

--Winston
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 10:26 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/9/2010 11:41 AM DaveC spake thus:

Same exact thing has happened here in the San Francisco Bay Area,
which should be surprising, given that this area includes Silicon
Valley. I've seen dozens of electronics/surplus stores vanish. Haltek
& Halted: gone. Weird Stuff: still there, but a faint shadow of its
former greatness. I'm sure other folks here can name many others that
are RIP.

Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:
http://www.halted.com/

Huh; didn't know they were still around. I used to go to their store
when they were in Mountain View, but that was a long time ago.

You mean Haltek? They've been gone a long time.

I first visited them when their store was off Sterlin Rd.
in Mountain View. (Since renamed N. Shoreline Blvd.)

You never knew what would be hanging from the ceiling.
Sometimes a PV array from a satellite. One time a drone plane.

Lots of fun!

Real old old timers will recall Olsen Electronics in Santa Clara
and Weatherbee Industrial Electronics, Peninsula Electronics,
Alco ...

--Winston

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 10:44 PM Winston spake thus:

South San Francisco Bay Area

AKA "South Bay"

http://www.anchor-electronics.com/

San Mateo still has a decent electronics outlet:
http://www.sanmateoelectronicsca.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 10:51 PM Winston spake thus:

On 6/9/2010 10:26 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 6/9/2010 11:41 AM DaveC spake thus:

Same exact thing has happened here in the San Francisco Bay Area,
which should be surprising, given that this area includes Silicon
Valley. I've seen dozens of electronics/surplus stores vanish. Haltek
& Halted: gone. Weird Stuff: still there, but a faint shadow of its
former greatness. I'm sure other folks here can name many others that
are RIP.

Halted (HSC) Electronics, alive and well in Santa Clara and Rohnert Park:
http://www.halted.com/

Huh; didn't know they were still around. I used to go to their store
when they were in Mountain View, but that was a long time ago.

You mean Haltek? They've been gone a long time.

Ah, so, you're right.

I first visited them when their store was off Sterlin Rd.
in Mountain View. (Since renamed N. Shoreline Blvd.)

Ackshooly, that's Stierlin Rd. I remember that. (Used to work on
Industrial Wy. in Palo Alto, near the former Ford Aerospace plant, since
sold to Sun, a short walk from Mt. View.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:13:01 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote:

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more
GWM Radio Ltd,Worthing;Techno Trade,Fareham ; Forum Stores part of
Southampton University no more; Greenweld, Southampton (trading name
continues ); Fraser Electronics, Southsea seem to be all gone.
Budgie / Kaytronic Southampton is still there but other than what is in the
window I don't know what he has, I don't think he does either.
Anyone know of any shops or even regular market stalls anywhere in the UK
still (my interest got started with a regular market pitch with electornic
surplus when a little kid). Hamfest/Radio rally sites once a year , around
the country seem to be the only hands-on outlets these days

Potts, Derby.
http://www.rfpotts.com/
But again nothing like what they were.

Shop near station in Borehamwood packed up and went south west 15-20
years ago.

Can we blame it on the Internet, schools or the everything's too
dangerous to touch / no user serviceable parts mentality that's been
pushed for last 30-40 years?
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

b wrote in message
On Jun 9, 9:13 am, "N_Cook" wrote:. Hamfest/Radio
rally sites once a year , around
the country seem to be the only hands-on outlets these days

This month is the BVWS Harpenden Auction and 'garden party' of the
vintage wireless museum. Last month was the NVCF near Rugby....quite a
few simialr events thru the year.
-B

&&&&&&&&

The RSGB site has perhaps a full rally list for the year
http://www.rsgb.org/events/index.php
Radio rallies held at horse racing grandstands tend not to have car boot
sections. Generally content is about 1/3 radio stuff,1/3 general electronics
,1/3 computer stuff
I will probably go to the Newbury one next week
20 JUNE
NEWBURY RADIO RALLY AND BOOT SALE - Newbury Showground, next to M4 J13. Big
display area of amateur radio stations, exhibitions, special groups, clubs
and societies. . Sellers have access from 8am and pitches cost £10.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hill wrote in message
[...]

Radio rallies no longer have "bring and buy" sections , killed off by site
owners/runners demanding they should have insurance cover should someone
electrocute themselves - hundreds of squid for one-off events , so no more

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hill wrote in message
[...]

The US-centric sub-thread mentioned Anchor and reminded me of Nottingham
http://www.anchorsupplies.com/index.htm
I only ever see at radio rallies- do they have a shop type base?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Peter Hill wrote:
Can we blame it on the Internet, schools or the everything's too
dangerous to touch / no user serviceable parts mentality that's been
pushed for last 30-40 years?

I've wondered about that. I asked a teacher at the local large school if
they had an after school electronics construction club - we had at the
school I went to.
And the answer was no. Computer ones, though. It also seems odd to me that
many computer whizz kids wouldn't know how to change a faulty hard drive
on a desktop.

I suppose when I was a kid you could save some money by building a radio
etc. Not so now.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 11:41:56 -0700 DaveC wrote in
Message id: :

[snip]

Hi Dave,

Are you the same DaveC on Yahoo Tek groups?
If so, here's the manual you were looking for:
https://home.comcast.net/~spam_gobbler/Tektronix TDS620 640 Oscilloscope Users Manual.pdf

Jay
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hill wrote:
Can we blame it on the Internet, schools or the everything's too
dangerous to touch / no user serviceable parts mentality that's been
pushed for last 30-40 years?

I've wondered about that. I asked a teacher at the local large school if
they had an after school electronics construction club - we had at the
school I went to.
And the answer was no. Computer ones, though. It also seems odd to me that
many computer whizz kids wouldn't know how to change a faulty hard drive
on a desktop.

I suppose when I was a kid you could save some money by building a radio
etc. Not so now.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Don't local radio ham clubs often have a young members section for hands on
tinkering as well as radio procedure?. Probably clobbered by paedo paranoia
over the last few years

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Jun 10, 8:44*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Peter Hill wrote in message

[...]

About 10 years ago, I used to often visit the Anchor surplus store at
nottingham. Great days....no idea if they still exist.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:56:45 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dunno if they are still on the go, but their shop was always worth a
rummage around. Lots of bargain bins. ;-)

Semiconductor Supplies International Ltd Dawson House
128/130 Carshalton Road
Sutton
Surrey
SM1 4TW
020 8643 1126

Google Street View says yes:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=u...=Semiconductor
+Supplies+International+Ltd&oe=utf-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=Semiconductor
+Supplies+International
+Ltd&hnear=&ll=51.362576,-0.185477&spn=0,0.001032&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=51.3 62576,-0.185477&panoid=hhapRgOVeYXWPIE_rKAGIw&cbp=12,130. 76,,0,6.75

Website is www.ssi-uk.com, but there's bugger all on it.

Farnell's trade counter on the Maybrook industrial estate in Leeds is
usually worth a look if you're in the area. They have a "Bargain Bin"
table next to the sales counter -- I managed to pick up a pair of ex-demo
Instek digital bench power supplies for about £30 a piece (RRP is about
10x that). One needed the power section resoldering, the other needed a
new set of binding posts (which Instek were more than happy to provide).
I've also had storage boxes, components (bags and bags of HP high-
brightness LEDs, and so on).

M&B Radio used to be pretty good too. Used to be under the Dark Arches
(Swinegate) under the train station, but that shop closed ages ago.
Apparently they've reopened in Addingham, but the website (http://www.mb-
radio.co.uk/) is basically useless (read: filled with placeholder data!)

--
Phil.

http://www.philpem.me.uk/
If mail bounces, replace "10" with the last two digits of the current year
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" writes:

Radio rallies no longer have "bring and buy" sections

The Dover and Canvey Island rallies I've been to recently both did. (I
now have all the 1960s transistors I could ever possibly want, among
various other interesting junk!)

--
Adam Sampson http://offog.org/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
I've wondered about that. I asked a teacher at the local large school
if they had an after school electronics construction club - we had at
the school I went to. And the answer was no. Computer ones, though. It
also seems odd to me that many computer whizz kids wouldn't know how
to change a faulty hard drive on a desktop.

I suppose when I was a kid you could save some money by building a
radio etc. Not so now.

Don't local radio ham clubs often have a young members section for hands
on tinkering as well as radio procedure?. Probably clobbered by paedo
paranoia over the last few years

Could be - but despite a life long interest in electronics, ham radio
leaves me cold.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Philip Pemberton wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:56:45 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Dunno if they are still on the go, but their shop was always worth a
rummage around. Lots of bargain bins. ;-)

Semiconductor Supplies International Ltd Dawson House
128/130 Carshalton Road
Sutton
Surrey
SM1 4TW
020 8643 1126

Google Street View says yes:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=u...=Semiconductor
+Supplies+International+Ltd&oe=utf-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=Semiconductor
+Supplies+International
+Ltd&hnear=&ll=51.362576,-0.185477&spn=0,0.001032&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=51.3 62576,-0.185477&panoid=hhapRgOVeYXWPIE_rKAGIw&cbp=12,130. 76,,0,6.75

Website is www.ssi-uk.com, but there's bugger all on it.

Good to know they still exist. The shop was a fairly minor part of the
business, I guess. They were great at getting small quantities of obsolete
ICs etc, I found. Unlike when you Google and find a minimum quantity of
10,000 ...

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Philip Pemberton wrote in message
[...]

RS/ Hedge End depot Hampshire only has a subset of the main lines around the
counter area , no end of lines, returns etc.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adam Sampson wrote in message
"N_Cook" writes:

Radio rallies no longer have "bring and buy" sections

The Dover and Canvey Island rallies I've been to recently both did. (I
now have all the 1960s transistors I could ever possibly want, among
various other interesting junk!)

--
Adam Sampson http://offog.org/

There never seems to be any midwinter carboot radio rallies in the south and
I looked into hiring a covered market site for a Sunday mid winter but
insurance was prohibitive. I asked an organiser of one of the best south
coast rallies Wimborne Flight Refuelling why no longer any bring and buy. He
said insurance was now required . About the same time Longleat bring and buy
stopped.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 11:02 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/9/2010 10:44 PM Winston spake thus:

South San Francisco Bay Area

AKA "South Bay"

For you and me, yes.

USENET is worldwide and there are lots
of "South Bay" areas that aren't ours.

http://www.southbaycities.org/node/257
http://www.southbaycity.com/Public_Documents/index
http://www.southbaytrail.com/

http://www.anchor-electronics.com/

San Mateo still has a decent electronics outlet:
http://www.sanmateoelectronicsca.com

Another opportunity. Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/9/2010 11:07 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/9/2010 10:51 PM Winston spake thus:

(...)

I first visited them when their store was off Sterlin Rd.
in Mountain View. (Since renamed N. Shoreline Blvd.)

Ackshooly, that's Stierlin Rd.

Yes, it was. Thanks!

--Winston -- Used to work on Coffin Road
(renamed 'Bowers Avenue' for some reason).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/06/2010 14:38, N_Cook wrote:

There never seems to be any midwinter carboot radio rallies in the south and
I looked into hiring a covered market site for a Sunday mid winter but
insurance was prohibitive. I asked an organiser of one of the best south
coast rallies Wimborne Flight Refuelling why no longer any bring and buy. He
said insurance was now required . About the same time Longleat bring and buy
stopped.

The main one I religiously visit each year is the Dunstable Downs Radio
Club car boot sale in Stockley Park, Luton. It happened last month but
keep a watch on this website for the next, 2011!
http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/

There is a new Rally, at the National Code Centre, Bletchley Park,
Milton Keynes on Sunday 29th August, that might be worth a visit.
http://www.mkars.org.uk/rally.html

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Peter Hill wrote:
Can we blame it on the Internet, schools or the everything's too
dangerous to touch / no user serviceable parts mentality that's been
pushed for last 30-40 years?

I've wondered about that. I asked a teacher at the local large school if
they had an after school electronics construction club - we had at the
school I went to.
And the answer was no. Computer ones, though. It also seems odd to me that
many computer whizz kids wouldn't know how to change a faulty hard drive
on a desktop.

I suppose when I was a kid you could save some money by building a radio
etc. Not so now.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I mentioned local Forum Stores before, which closed ten or more years ago
leaving the kitting of school electronic projects and school talks/ great
egg race type events of the educational trust side of the Southern Science
& Technology Forum and now that seems to have expired about 2002.
I asked of the nearby to me the Itchen Valley ham radio club and they have a
young members section although nothing specific about it on their website.
Perhaps from a sample of 1 a number of such clubs still have a supervised
electronic/radio section for youngsters.

I will ask an electronics bod I know ,involved with school governers
locally, and see what he knows about hands-on electronics/ practical side of
CDT or whatever they call it now, in schools these days