Hul Tytus

Default no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

comp.arch.embedded, sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
no strip hookup wire

Who sells hookup wire that can be soldered without stripping? Typical
use is reworking pc boards. Some magnet wires are of this type, but solder
at too high a temperature for easy use on a pc board. The ones I've tried
will loosen the copper if joints aren't made quickly.

Any suggestions for a maker or seller for a wire in the 26 guage range
would be appreciated.

Hul
--
- for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line -

Paul E. Bennett

Hul Tytus wrote:

comp.arch.embedded, sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
no strip hookup wire

Who sells hookup wire that can be soldered without stripping? Typical
use is reworking pc boards. Some magnet wires are of this type, but solder
at too high a temperature for easy use on a pc board. The ones I've tried
will loosen the copper if joints aren't made quickly.

Any suggestions for a maker or seller for a wire in the 26 guage range
would be appreciated.

For prototyping work I often use enamelled copper wire in 26swg or thinner.
The coating that works best for me is the pinker one. It is even easy to
solder down at a kink in the wire for wire-through connections. The trick
is to just tin the very end before putting it down to the board.

Note that some of the enamel coatings are not so easy to burn off.

Paul E. Bennett
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/
Hul Tytus

Thanks Dave. I tried that this afternoon with another brand of
30 gage wire-wrap wire and it worked. I've put a roll of 26 gage Kynar on
the list.

Hul

In comp.arch.embedded DaveM wrote:
"Hul Tytus" wrote in message
Thanks Jim - I'll give that a try. There's some thermocouple wire handy
that'll serve for a test.

Hul

In comp.arch.embedded Jim Thompson wrote:
On 18 Oct 2005 18:43:50 -0400, (Hul Tytus)
wrote:

comp.arch.embedded, sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
no strip hookup wire

Who sells hookup wire that can be soldered without stripping? Typical
use is reworking pc boards. Some magnet wires are of this type, but
solder
at too high a temperature for easy use on a pc board. The ones I've
tried
will loosen the copper if joints aren't made quickly.

Any suggestions for a maker or seller for a wire in the 26 guage
range
would be appreciated.

Hul

I use #24 teflon-covered wire. It resists solder, but can be stripped
in tight places simply by "pinching" with needle-nose pliers... very
handy for making tight PCB reworks. At GenRad we called such boards
"blue-wired" for the color of the insulation.

...Jim Thompson

I've used kynar insulated wire wrap wire like that .. the insulation melts
easily under soldering heat, and the wire is available in 26, 28 and 30 AWG.
Find it at most outlets and catalog distributors.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

Mike Young

"Hul Tytus" wrote in message
Thanks Dave. I tried that this afternoon with another brand of
30 gage wire-wrap wire and it worked. I've put a roll of 26 gage Kynar on
the list.

http://www.westlakeplastics.com/msds...ynar%20740.pdf
"... if this material is heated in excess of 600 F (315 C) hazardous
decomposition products will be produced. Hazardous decomposition products
include hydrogen fluoride and oxides of carbon, the concentrations of which
vary with temperature and heating regimens."

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to the finished insulation; the msds
refers to the raw pellets. I expect that it does, but don't know the risk
level relative to say flux or any of the other junk we burn and breathe.