Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie

Default no strip hookup wire i.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:48:04 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
On 18 Oct 2005 18:43:50 -0400, (Hul Tytus)
comp.arch.embedded, sci.electronics.repair, sci.electronics.design
no strip hookup wire

Who sells hookup wire that can be soldered without stripping? Typical
use is reworking pc boards. Some magnet wires are of this type, but solder
at too high a temperature for easy use on a pc board. The ones I've tried
will loosen the copper if joints aren't made quickly.

Any suggestions for a maker or seller for a wire in the 26 guage range
would be appreciated.

I use #24 teflon-covered wire. It resists solder, but can be stripped
in tight places simply by "pinching" with needle-nose pliers... very
handy for making tight PCB reworks. At GenRad we called such boards
"blue-wired" for the color of the insulation.

I hacked a wire wrap tool to do this. A WSU-30M:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/623/1537.pdf
I filed off the rivet holding the little stripper blade to the middle
of the tool, and stuck it in an X-acto handle. I could daisy-chain an
arbitrary number of pins (all .1" thru-hole, of course). :-)

Cheers!
Rich