Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UK electronics bits/ junk shops?

On 6/9/2010 1:13 AM N_Cook spake thus:

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more
GWM Radio Ltd,Worthing;Techno Trade,Fareham ; Forum Stores part of
Southampton University no more; Greenweld, Southampton (trading name
continues ); Fraser Electronics, Southsea seem to be all gone.

Same exact thing has happened here in the San Francisco Bay Area, which
should be surprising, given that this area includes Silicon Valley. I've
seen dozens of electronics/surplus stores vanish. Haltek & Halted: gone.
Weird Stuff: still there, but a faint shadow of its former greatness.
I'm sure other folks here can name many others that are RIP.

In many places the only electronics to be obtained are at [cough] Radio
Shack ...