Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default UK electronics bits/ junk shops?

On Jun 10, 8:44*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Peter Hill wrote in message

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:13:01 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote:

I don't know of any small independent operations with a walk-in shop any
more
GWM Radio Ltd,Worthing;Techno Trade,Fareham ; Forum Stores part of
Southampton University no more; Greenweld, Southampton (trading name
continues ); Fraser Electronics, Southsea seem to be all gone.
Budgie / Kaytronic Southampton is still there but other than what is in

the
window I don't know what he has, I don't think he does either.
Anyone know of any shops or even regular market stalls anywhere in the UK
still (my interest got started with a regular market pitch with

electornic
surplus when a little kid). Hamfest/Radio rally sites once a year ,

around
the country seem to be the only hands-on outlets these days

Potts, Derby.
http://www.rfpotts.com/
But again nothing like what they were.

Shop near station in Borehamwood packed up and went south west 15-20
years ago.

Can we blame it on the Internet, schools or the everything's too
dangerous to touch / no user serviceable parts mentality that's been
pushed for last 30-40 years?
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

The US-centric sub-thread mentioned Anchor and reminded me of Nottinghamhttp://www.anchorsupplies.com/index.htm
I only ever see at radio rallies- do they have a shop type base?

About 10 years ago, I used to often visit the Anchor surplus store at
nottingham. Great days....no idea if they still exist.