Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Default Comcast Dropping Usenet

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Alternatives
http://groups.google.se/group/sci.el....repair/topics
http://groups.google.se/group/sci.el...cs.misc/topics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Well, it'll give me more free time. But I've enjoyed helping and learning in
this group.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

In article ,
nospam wrote:
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

There are other ways of getting news groups than just your ISP providing
them.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

nospam wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

there are free ones on
motzarella.org
gazeta.pl (down the last couple of days)
datemas.de

posted via motzarella for this one

Google was fine when it was deja vu, crap nowadays

--
General electronic repairs, other than TVs and PCs
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repairs.htm

Diverse Devices, Southampton

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Read my sig.

Conversion was easy -- just the server name, userid, and password (the
last two they choose for you, and they're wierd -- although the
proper command depended I think on whether the internal article
number, within a newsgroup, was greater or less with APN than it had
been with Erols.

With less, I didn't have to do anything but get more headers, etc.
With more, I had to "Sample the latest 1000 headers", for example.

Forte Agent has this last command, but I don't know if other
newsreaders have an equivalent. At worst, you'll have to unsubscribe
from the newsgroup, discard the contents you've gotten so far, and
start from scratch, for those newsgroups where it doesn't just work
normally.
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...
nospam wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

there are free ones on
motzarella.org
gazeta.pl (down the last couple of days)
datemas.de

posted via motzarella for this one

Google was fine when it was deja vu, crap nowadays

--
General electronic repairs, other than TVs and PCs
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repairs.htm

Diverse Devices, Southampton

Thanks for those references.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:00:47 -0400, mm wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Read my sig.

.... if you had one.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:14:00 +0200, Ken wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Alternatives
http://groups.google.se/group/sci.el....repair/topics
http://groups.google.se/group/sci.el...cs.misc/topics

*Not* the best choice -- by far.
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

On 20 Sep 2008 23:43:01 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:00:47 -0400, mm wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Read my sig.

... if you had one.

The post you replied to had one. Does it have to have a blank line or
label that says sig for you to be able to tell?
--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Go to astraweb. $10 non-expiring 25GB of downloads.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I suggest YOU drop comcast.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I suggest YOU drop comcast.

Graham

I, for one, would love to.

The problem:
What would you suggest I use for connectivity? Satellite is a
non-starter. Dialup? Don't make me laugh... It'd be going over Comcast's
VOIP, and at a higher price than I'm already paying for the internet
connection! Wireless? Not a bad idea - if we had anything that even
resembled line-of-sight to the general vicinity of the only wireless
installation in the area. All factors which conspire to leave me, and
likely quite a few others like me, pretty well hosed.

Ain't communications monopolies great?

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

mm wrote:

Read my sig.

... if you had one.

The post you replied to had one.

No, it didn't.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:45:00 -0700, Don Bruder
wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I suggest YOU drop comcast.

Graham

I, for one, would love to.
snip
All factors which conspire to leave me, and
likely quite a few others like me, pretty well hosed.

Ain't communications monopolies great?

Ditto

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:25:12 -0400, mm put
finger to keyboard and composed:

wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:00:47 -0400, mm wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Read my sig.

... if you had one.

The post you replied to had one. Does it have to have a blank line or
label that says sig for you to be able to tell?

I must confess that I didn't recognise your sig, either, until you
added the dash-dash-space.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:03:48 -0700, UCLAN wrote:

mm wrote:

Read my sig.

... if you had one.

The post you replied to had one.

No, it didn't.

Why do you say that?

When that post came back to me, it had a sig, almost the identical sig
that my next post had and that this post will have.

Now I can understand that a reader can't tell just from looking what I
wrote specifically for a given post, and what came from the sig. file.

But I can't understand how the two of you don't know that you can't
tell just from looking, and why you think there was no sig. when I've
told you there was one**. And why it's so important to each of you,
and why you're so sure you're right, that you go to the trouble to
post.

**When I said "See my sig" in my first post, and again when I assured
Allodox in my second post that there was a sig.

That really interests me, and I would be most interested in any
explanation. And grateful for a serious explanation.

(You're not just pulling my chain because I don't always use a period
after "sig", are you? That would be quite a waste of time and
bandwidth, so I don't think it's that.)
--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:00:47 -0400, mm wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Read my sig.

... if you had one.

The post you replied to had one. Does it have to have a blank line or
label that says sig for you to be able to tell?

I must confess that I didn't recognise your sig, either, until you
added the dash-dash-space.

- Franc Zabkar

I understand that. But you didn't think it so important that you
posted about it just to point out that I was wrong. You don't have
the troll-like nature the other two exhibited.

I only figured out on Tuesday that my service was cancelled; it took
until Thursday to pick an alternative, and until Saturday when I read
the start of this thread to decide to tell everyone how
Erols/RCN/Starpower had behaved. My post in this thread was the
first time I had used the sig, and so it had errors. Once I saw them,
I was able to correct them.
--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

I suggest YOU drop Comcast.

Other than the fact that Comcast charges too much, I have no complaints --
their customer service is excellent.

But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What would
I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back to
dial-up.

Some of the money spent on the Iraq war might have been spent to install a
universal fiber-optic infrastructure. The actual service would be provided
by competing companies, not the government.

* As far as I know. Years ago there was a hybrid satellite system, with a
land connection providing the uploads.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 20, 4:44*pm, "nospam" wrote:
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Free http://news.motzarella.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I suggest YOU drop Comcast.

Other than the fact that Comcast charges too much, I have no complaints --
their customer service is excellent.

But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What would
I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back to
dial-up.

Some of the money spent on the Iraq war might have been spent to install a
universal fiber-optic infrastructure. The actual service would be provided
by competing companies, not the government.

* As far as I know. Years ago there was a hybrid satellite system, with a
land connection providing the uploads.

Direct PC

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:00:47 -0400, mm wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Read my sig.

... if you had one.

The post you replied to had one. Does it have to have a blank line or
label that says sig for you to be able to tell?

I must confess that I didn't recognise your sig, either, until you
added the dash-dash-space.

- Franc Zabkar

I understand that. But you didn't think it so important that you
posted about it just to point out that I was wrong. You don't have
the troll-like nature the other two exhibited.

It isn't a sig file without the sig delimiter. That combination of
two dashes, a space and a return allow proper news readers to
automatically trim the signature when you reply to a message. ANything
else is just inline text, no matter why it is there. Your news reader
software should automatically add the delimiter, followed by a simple
text file you create as your signature.

You are using Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American) which is
about six years old. Even so, it should support a proper sig file.
What you are using right now is not a sig delimiter. It is missing the
space after the dashes.

I only figured out on Tuesday that my service was cancelled; it took
until Thursday to pick an alternative, and until Saturday when I read
the start of this thread to decide to tell everyone how
Erols/RCN/Starpower had behaved. My post in this thread was the
first time I had used the sig, and so it had errors. Once I saw them,
I was able to correct them.
--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Don Bruder wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I suggest YOU drop comcast.

I, for one, would love to.

The problem:
What would you suggest I use for connectivity?

No alternative at all ? Cable or ADSL, whichever Comcast isn't. If none then
presumably the internet you already have ?

You install a 'news reader' program - the simpler the better IMHO, I use Netscape
4.8, configure it and hey presto you have news.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I suggest YOU drop Comcast.

Other than the fact that Comcast charges too much, I have no complaints --
their customer service is excellent.

But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What would
I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back to
dial-up.

Don't you have different carriers and systems like cable vs DSL in the USA ?
Obviously 'outback' may be difficult.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-09-21, William Sommerwerck wrote:
But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What

would
I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back

dial-up.

Internet service is available via satellite, a friend of mine in a rural
area has it.

I still use dialup. Nothing wrong with dialup, it teaches one the virtue
of patience, and with the right provider it is very inexpensive!

There's lots wrong with dialup when you're downloading multi-megabyte files.

Some of the money spent on the Iraq war might have been spent to install

universal fiber-optic infrastructure.

I don't really have any interest in having a fiber optic connection to my
home, and do not believe taxpayer dollars should be spent on such a thing.

Yeah, I guess the interstate highways were a really lousy idea, too.
Eisenhower, that damned socialist.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

No alternative at all ? Cable or ADSL, whichever Comcast isn't.
If none then presumably the internet you already have?

The others aren't available in my area.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What
would
I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back

dial-up.

Don't you have different carriers and systems like cable vs DSL in the USA

?
Obviously 'outback' may be difficult.

DSL is not available in my area. The phone company uses multiplexed lines
that can't carry high-speed digital.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
DSL is not available in my area. The phone company uses multiplexed lines
that can't carry high-speed digital.

The lines can certainly handle digital. It's how the phone company chooses
to use them that can't. ;-)

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

In article , says...
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Check out Motzarella.com, free Usenet access. I'm using it since Cox's
Usenet servers have been pretty much useless the past couple of months.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Roger Blake wrote:
I don't really have any interest in having a fiber optic connection to my
home, and do not believe taxpayer dollars should be spent on such a thing.

The money has ALREADY been given.
The problem is that the ISPs pocketed the cash and haven't delivered:
http://www.google.com/search?q=$200.billion+internet.service.providers

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:00:52 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

On 2008-09-21, William Sommerwerck wrote:
But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What would
I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back to
dial-up.

Internet service is available via satellite, a friend of mine in a rural
area has it.

Good to know. Plus Verizon at least has internet via cell phone
towers.

I still use dialup. Nothing wrong with dialup, it teaches one the virtue
of patience, and with the right provider it is very inexpensive!

I agree.

I have dsl for a year now. WRT email and Usenet, the extra speed
means next to nothing. Its good that webpages are faster, but I used
to dl webpages while reading my email or the newsgroups.

What is nice about dsl is it's easier to play radio; and even tv such
as the political conventions, where it started even earlier than
public tv. But I don't have cable tv

I got a good deal on dsl for teh first 2 years, but I have no idea
what they will want to charge me a year from now.

Some of the money spent on the Iraq war might have been spent to install a
universal fiber-optic infrastructure.

I don't really have any interest in having a fiber optic connection to my
home, and do not believe taxpayer dollars should be spent on such a thing.

They put in fios here about 3 months ago, and based on the colored
dots on teh grass, it seems at least one of my neighbors has
subscribed. I live in a middle middle income townhose n'hood and I
don't think anyone here can really afford it, but some will buy it.
--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

mm wrote:

But I can't understand how the two of you don't know that you can't
tell just from looking, and why you think there was no sig. when I've
told you there was one**. And why it's so important to each of you,
and why you're so sure you're right, that you go to the trouble to
post.

A) There was no sig (as Google will verify.) It appeared as plain
text in the body of your message. Nothing to distinguish it as a
sig rather than just more of your post. How was one to know where
your text stopped and your sig began?
B) You're taking the trouble to reply. What does that say?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Don Bruder wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I suggest YOU drop comcast.

I, for one, would love to.

The problem:
What would you suggest I use for connectivity?

No alternative at all ? Cable or ADSL, whichever Comcast isn't. If none then
presumably the internet you already have ?

You install a 'news reader' program - the simpler the better IMHO, I use
Netscape
4.8, configure it and hey presto you have news.

Graham

The internet I already have is Comcast. Unless I drop back to the
slow-motion hell of dial-up, or move up to a multi-hundred-bucks-a-month
fractional T line, there simply IS no alternative. (I've looked into
that option, and no matter how I try to diddle the numbers, it just
plain ain't feasible - As a ballpark figure, I'd be laying out something
on the order of 30 grand for the install, and likely waiting for close
to a year for it to happen, before I saw so much as a single byte of
data traveling on it.)

Like I said: Ain't communications monopolies wonderful?

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:01:54 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

You are using Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American) which is
about six years old. Even so, it should support a proper sig file.
What you are using right now is not a sig delimiter. It is missing the
space after the dashes.

My version of agent has no problem seeing mm's dash-dash-space.
Something is wrong at your end. Maybe Mozilla strips trailing spaces?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:01:54 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

What you are using right now is not a sig delimiter. It is missing the
space after the dashes.

This is mm's post as seen by Google:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...2?dmode=source

There is definitely a dash-dash-space sig delimiter.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Don Bruder wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Don Bruder wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
nospam wrote:

[...]

Were you the OP ?

Well you'll have to stick with comcast and shell out a few shillings for news. I
reckon Astraweb's $10 one-off pre-pay deal is good for many years for text groups.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore writes:

Don Bruder wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Don Bruder wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
nospam wrote:

[...]

I did that when UPenn dropped USENET, but then someone suggested aioe
(nntp.aioe.org) which is currently free, and seems to be just about as good.
And no sign-in passowrd.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore writes:

nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Go to astraweb. $10 non-expiring 25GB of downloads.

Graham

I did that when UPenn dropped USENET, but then someone suggested aioe
(nntp.aioe.org) which is currently free, and seems to be just about as good.
And no sign-in password.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Per Samuel M. Goldwasser:
I did that when UPenn dropped USENET, but then someone suggested aioe
(nntp.aioe.org) which is currently free, and seems to be just about as good.
And no sign-in password.

Individual.net has been good to me for a few years now.

It's about $18 per year - close enough to free for me.
--
PeteCresswell
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
Eeyore writes:

nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Go to astraweb. $10 non-expiring 25GB of downloads.

Graham

I did that when UPenn dropped USENET, but then someone suggested aioe
(nntp.aioe.org) which is currently free, and seems to be just about as good.
And no sign-in password.

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Off Topic - Comcast Newsgroups Alternatives Lee Michaels[_2_] Woodworking 17 September 23rd 08 01:28 AM
Comcast Cameras to Start Watching You? Oren[_2_] Home Repair 5 June 22nd 08 11:14 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking 22 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 37 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Should I believe the Comcast repairman? tenplay Home Repair 27 January 13th 06 01:35 PM