Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Topic - Comcast Newsgroups Alternatives

I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

I'm partial to Giganews ... $7.99/mo for 2 GB. Much more than you need for
wRec/apbw combined. High retention rate, and excellent service and
reliability.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am
facing a newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something
that doesn't cost too much.

If you don't want binaries,
http://schmidt.devlib.org/usenet/free-news-servers.html lists several
free servers.

http://news.individual.net is ten Euros (approx 15 bucks) a year.

http://www.newsguy.com starts at about 8 bucks a month and has
binaries.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" writes:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

I'm partial to Giganews ... $7.99/mo for 2 GB. Much more than you need for
wRec/apbw combined. High retention rate, and excellent service and
reliability.

Usenetserver.com. $14.95/mo unlimited, min 105 days retention.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

I'm partial to Giganews ... $7.99/mo for 2 GB. Much more than you need for
wRec/apbw combined. High retention rate, and excellent service and
reliability.

usenet-news.net sells access by the gigabyte, use any time with no
monthly rates or expiration date, includes both text and binary groups.
$5.00 gets you 10GB of downloads. $24.00 gets you 100 GB. $66.00
gets you 300 GB.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in
:

I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am
facing a newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something
that doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

Google Groups works in a pinch, but naturally it's not ideal.

I use Astraweb. They had a 60GB of transfer for $25, which will take me
forever to go through. (I only read the occasional binary post.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 18, 2:34*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? *Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

I'm on comcast and haven't heard anything about newsgroups being cut?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

When Time Warner did away with USENET we (wife and I) went with Astra Web Pay
as you go plan http://www.news.astraweb.com/ $10 for 25 gig. We have had it for
several months now and have no complaints. We are fairly heavy users of USENET,
but light on the binary groups. I look at woodworkers and train binary. Our use
to date is 17,602,130 bytes (0.02 GB) As you see a little goes a long way.

They just started a new plan also for 110GB $25.00

Hope this helps

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.online-service.comcast

On 9/18/08 2:34 PMSep 18, "Lee Michaels" wrote:

I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

You should take this discussion to alt.online-service,comcast where it is
not OT.

BTW - You can find the announcement at http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:32:35 -0700 (PDT), Tom Watson
wrote:

On Sep 18, 2:34*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? *Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

I'm on comcast and haven't heard anything about newsgroups being cut?

Hi Tom,

I had not seen anything either, but indeed, it is true.
Comcast will eliminate its access to GigaNews on October 25.

Check he http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

While not pertaining to your request per se, I'm actually welcoming it to
some degree. While I find the Usenet groups very handy for questions, I
find the idea of paying 8 bucks a month to read SPAM, trolls, and political
posts in this group to not be worth it at all - especially when the number
of wood related questions is almost non-existent.

Personally I'm going to drop all Usenet and see how it goes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am
facing a newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something
that doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

While not pertaining to your request per se, I'm actually welcoming it
to some degree. While I find the Usenet groups very handy for
questions, I find the idea of paying 8 bucks a month to read SPAM,
trolls, and political posts in this group to not be worth it at all -
especially when the number of wood related questions is almost
non-existent.

Personally I'm going to drop all Usenet and see how it goes.

As I have posted ad nauseam, I paid astraweb $10 for 25 GB of download
http://www.news.astraweb.com/, to be used as I desire. Headers are not
included in the download quota. I paid June 20, 2008 and to date I have
used 91,372,146 bytes (0.09 GB), with 24,908,627,854 bytes (24.91 GB)
remaining, according to their website.

So that is far from $8/month.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

While not pertaining to your request per se, I'm actually welcoming
it to some degree. While I find the Usenet groups very handy for
questions, I find the idea of paying 8 bucks a month to read SPAM,
trolls, and political posts in this group to not be worth it at all -
especially when the number of wood related questions is almost
non-existent.
Personally I'm going to drop all Usenet and see how it goes.

So where are you going to get all your questions answered? Home Depot?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:34:42 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am facing a
newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

I've been using APN for about a year now and really like it..

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

For most folks, the $3 a month plan is all that they need..

Very fast, all my NG's available, no ads, good retention, etc..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:

While not pertaining to your request per se, I'm actually welcoming
it to some degree. While I find the Usenet groups very handy for
questions, I find the idea of paying 8 bucks a month to read SPAM,
trolls, and political posts in this group to not be worth it at all -
especially when the number of wood related questions is almost
non-existent.
Personally I'm going to drop all Usenet and see how it goes.

So where are you going to get all your questions answered? Home Depot?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

I sure ask a lot of questions, that I know, but so far I haven't asked about
how evil Republicans are, or how the country is bankrupt and it's all the
Republican's fault, or even how Sarah Palin will bring about armageddon. I
guess when I get to that stage I'll come back. But for now, oh well. If I
have a question about something I'll ask the people I should ask - friends,
family, or my own personal experiences.

We'll see, maybe forcing people to pay for Usenet will clean out the trolls,
OT posts, and bring it back to an advice oriented forum. I doubt that, in
fact I suspect that making people pay will reduce the members to an even
smaller subset - further reinforcing the notion that the forum is "theirs"
and making it even less approachable to strangers. There are quite a few
groups out in Usenet land that have such tight memberships that newbies get
roughed up at the slightest transgression. Read comp.lang.c for a taste of
how bad it can get. There are also more than plenty of groups that have
been taken over by trolls - to the point where new questions are not
advisable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:43:23 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:34:42 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Snip
Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something that
doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

I've been using APN for about a year now and really like it..

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

For most folks, the $3 a month plan is all that they need..

Very fast, all my NG's available, no ads, good retention, etc..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I'm with Mac as above

Rgds,
Phil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...h-comcast.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...h-comcast.html

It is ironic that the word scumbag was not used once in that article.

I have been having trouble with my newsgroup access for several months now
anyway. I will need to convert very soon. I have had to shut down and start
up the concast newsgroups at least 15 times a day for the last three days.
And there are periods of no access at all. Think they are giving me a hint?

Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking 22 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 37 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Crap about crap flooding the newsgroups, floods the newsgroups! Twayne Woodworking 1 January 15th 08 05:26 AM
Should I believe the Comcast repairman? tenplay Home Repair 27 January 13th 06 01:35 PM
Off topic-question about newsgroups Eric R Snow Metalworking 15 July 31st 05 06:30 AM