Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Off Topic - Comcast Newsgroups Alternatives

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I know that we have had this discussion before. But now that I am
facing a newsgroup amputation, I am getting a bit upset.

Any suggestions for an alternative newserver? Preferably something
that doesn't cost too much.

Thanks.

While not pertaining to your request per se, I'm actually welcoming it
to some degree. While I find the Usenet groups very handy for
questions, I find the idea of paying 8 bucks a month to read SPAM,
trolls, and political posts in this group to not be worth it at all -
especially when the number of wood related questions is almost
non-existent.

Personally I'm going to drop all Usenet and see how it goes.

As I have posted ad nauseam, I paid astraweb $10 for 25 GB of download
http://www.news.astraweb.com/, to be used as I desire. Headers are not
included in the download quota. I paid June 20, 2008 and to date I have
used 91,372,146 bytes (0.09 GB), with 24,908,627,854 bytes (24.91 GB)
remaining, according to their website.

So that is far from $8/month.

--
Best regards