Posted to rec.woodworking
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Off Topic - Comcast Newsgroups Alternatives

"dadiOH" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:

While not pertaining to your request per se, I'm actually welcoming
it to some degree. While I find the Usenet groups very handy for
questions, I find the idea of paying 8 bucks a month to read SPAM,
trolls, and political posts in this group to not be worth it at all -
especially when the number of wood related questions is almost
non-existent.
Personally I'm going to drop all Usenet and see how it goes.

So where are you going to get all your questions answered? Home Depot?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

I sure ask a lot of questions, that I know, but so far I haven't asked about
how evil Republicans are, or how the country is bankrupt and it's all the
Republican's fault, or even how Sarah Palin will bring about armageddon. I
guess when I get to that stage I'll come back. But for now, oh well. If I
have a question about something I'll ask the people I should ask - friends,
family, or my own personal experiences.

We'll see, maybe forcing people to pay for Usenet will clean out the trolls,
OT posts, and bring it back to an advice oriented forum. I doubt that, in
fact I suspect that making people pay will reduce the members to an even
smaller subset - further reinforcing the notion that the forum is "theirs"
and making it even less approachable to strangers. There are quite a few
groups out in Usenet land that have such tight memberships that newbies get
roughed up at the slightest transgression. Read comp.lang.c for a taste of
how bad it can get. There are also more than plenty of groups that have
been taken over by trolls - to the point where new questions are not
advisable.