Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

Default Comcast Dropping Usenet

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:44:11 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

I'm gonna miss these two groups more than most.

Thanks for all the help over the last 15+ years.

Read my sig.

Conversion was easy -- just the server name, userid, and password (the
last two they choose for you, and they're wierd -- although the
proper command depended I think on whether the internal article
number, within a newsgroup, was greater or less with APN than it had
been with Erols.

With less, I didn't have to do anything but get more headers, etc.
With more, I had to "Sample the latest 1000 headers", for example.

Forte Agent has this last command, but I don't know if other
newsreaders have an equivalent. At worst, you'll have to unsubscribe
from the newsgroup, discard the contents you've gotten so far, and
start from scratch, for those newsgroups where it doesn't just work
normally.
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.