Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
mm mm is offline

Default Comcast Dropping Usenet

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:00:52 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

On 2008-09-21, William Sommerwerck wrote:
But if I dropped Comcast (as Scarlett said) -- Where would I go? What would
I do? Satellite doesn't provide Internet service. * And I can't go back to
dial-up.

Internet service is available via satellite, a friend of mine in a rural
area has it.

Good to know. Plus Verizon at least has internet via cell phone
towers.

I still use dialup. Nothing wrong with dialup, it teaches one the virtue
of patience, and with the right provider it is very inexpensive!

I agree.

I have dsl for a year now. WRT email and Usenet, the extra speed
means next to nothing. Its good that webpages are faster, but I used
to dl webpages while reading my email or the newsgroups.

What is nice about dsl is it's easier to play radio; and even tv such
as the political conventions, where it started even earlier than
public tv. But I don't have cable tv

I got a good deal on dsl for teh first 2 years, but I have no idea
what they will want to charge me a year from now.

Some of the money spent on the Iraq war might have been spent to install a
universal fiber-optic infrastructure.

I don't really have any interest in having a fiber optic connection to my
home, and do not believe taxpayer dollars should be spent on such a thing.

They put in fios here about 3 months ago, and based on the colored
dots on teh grass, it seems at least one of my neighbors has
subscribed. I live in a middle middle income townhose n'hood and I
don't think anyone here can really afford it, but some will buy it.
--
A tribute to Erols/RCN/Starpower which took away newsgroups,
without giving any notice, in advance or when they did it!!

And a real tribute to https://www.forteinc.com/apn/subscribe.php
which starts at 3 dollars for 12 gigs a month,
including alt, misc, the big 8 and everything else, 12 gigs is
far more than someone who dl's mostly text should ever need.