Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Oh Dear ...

What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back say
?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

Vox Manufacturing China ???? Is nothing sacred any more ?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about every
other 'practical' field ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news
What have we done ?
Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the
plate on the back say?
"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE
DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"
Vox Manufacturing China ???? Is nothing sacred any more?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about
every other 'practical' field ...

I just started a job at Microsoft Hardware. It's moving almost all its
production to China -- though under supervision of US engineers.

Readers who believe that the ONLY reason any business exists -- or should
exist -- is to make money, should read "Built to Last".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message
news
What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back

say
?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

Vox Manufacturing China ???? Is nothing sacred any more ?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about

every
other 'practical' field ...

Arfa

Shipping rates must have dropped or the price of these things shot up.
At one time the freight cost of chipboard boxes, to the west, excluded that
trade. Just cardboard boxes full of populated/ soldered and checked boards
made economic sense.
The wooden boxes then constructed over here

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back say
?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

Vox Manufacturing China ???? Is nothing sacred any more ?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about every
other 'practical' field ...

Arfa

Look for them to move to Vietnam next. China is starting to price
itself out of the market. Manufacturers are leaving there in droves,
leaving behind a glut of industrial waste and rising unemployment.

Eventually there will be no 3rd World countries left. Maybe things will
settle down then, but it might not happen in our lifetimes.
Alternatively, WE may end up being the 3rd World.....

jak
jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jakdedert" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Honestly I can see us being the third world some day.. Think about it What
do we do?? Nothing? About all that I can find made in the USA is Sharpie
markers, Solo brand disposable cups and plates, beer, and food.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
BH BH is offline

On Mar 7, 4:13*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back say
?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

Vox Manufacturing China ???? *Is nothing sacred any more ?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about every
other 'practical' field ...

Arfa

Hello:

What is more English than Wharfedale and they have been in China for
years now. Too,too bad.

Bruce
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"BH" wrote in message
[...]

I think the *actual* question is what USED to be more English than
Wharfedale? The name was sold years ago and it's now just a badge name for
any piece of (s)crap. There is a very great deal of that now, which just
plays on what were 'household names' to my generation, and my parent's
generation. I still know many people who would automatically say "Oh
Wharfedale ! That's a good make ... My dad used to have Wharfedale speakers
" and so on. OTOH, Vox still is a British company with an - up to now
anyway - uninterupted presence and manufacturing legacy in the UK, since
they were founded.

I find it very sad that 'globalisation' has led to this situation, both
here, and in the good old U.S. of A

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I think the *actual* question is what USED to be more English than
Wharfedale? The name was sold years ago and it's now just a badge name
for any piece of (s)crap. There is a very great deal of that now, which
just plays on what were 'household names' to my generation, and my
parent's generation. I still know many people who would automatically
say "Oh Wharfedale ! That's a good make ... My dad used to have
Wharfedale speakers " and so on. OTOH, Vox still is a British company
with an - up to now anyway - uninterupted presence and manufacturing
legacy in the UK, since they were founded.

Quad had an unsurpassed reputation for UK made Hi-Fi - both for
performance and service. Chinese owned now.

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I limey land, they are fixing to start paying $10.00 per gallon for
gasoline.
Sacred?
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Mar 7, 10:13 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back say
?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

another one bites the dust, as they say. we had this conversation a
few years ago here! :
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...5ac3a5cb444af0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I limey land, they are fixing to start paying $10.00 per gallon for
gasoline.
Sacred?
cuhulin

Your gallon is a little smaller than ours - 3.8 litres if I remember
correctly what it says on the public toilet flush handles over there. We are
currently paying around 1.05 GBP per litre, so that's 3.99 GBP per U.S.
sized gallon. Call it 4 for easy numbers. Current exchange rate is about 2,
so that's currently $8 per U.S. gallon, that we are paying for it over here.

I'm not sure where your "sacred" comes into it all. "Criminal" would be my
word ... :-\

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

I think the *actual* question is what USED to be more English than
Wharfedale? The name was sold years ago and it's now just a badge name for
any piece of (s)crap.

No, you're thinking of the likes of the Bush brand.

The Wharfedale stuff is still repsectable and they still make speakers. If
anything they've gone UPmarket since they're now doing pro-audio.
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Default...ype=6&IdLang=1

The current owners also bought the Quad and Mission brands. I suspect they're
brought more imaginative management to these old companies.
http://www.iaguk.co.uk/

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

I think the *actual* question is what USED to be more English than
Wharfedale? The name was sold years ago and it's now just a badge name
for any piece of (s)crap. There is a very great deal of that now, which
just plays on what were 'household names' to my generation, and my
parent's generation. I still know many people who would automatically
say "Oh Wharfedale ! That's a good make ... My dad used to have
Wharfedale speakers " and so on. OTOH, Vox still is a British company
with an - up to now anyway - uninterupted presence and manufacturing
legacy in the UK, since they were founded.

Quad had an unsurpassed reputation for UK made Hi-Fi - both for
performance and service. Chinese owned now.

They turned me down for the position of technical director at the age of 33
saying I was *too young*. That's the kind of attitude that kept them in the
doldrums until were bought by IAG, the current ownes of Wharfedale too.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

All our Warf PA gear, speakers and amps have Made In China stickers on
them. We've had to send back a couple power amps for replacement under
warranty.

I can't imagine their power amps being anything special. Wharfedale never had any
expertise in that area. They'll be stock design bought in (or copied) I expect.

Best to stick with what companies are good at.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:

Eventually there will be no 3rd World countries left. Maybe things will
settle down then, but it might not happen in our lifetimes.
Alternatively, WE may end up being the 3rd World.....

And British politicians seem to delight in the fact that the UK is now a
'post-industrial economy'. Yet the twits still expect kids to leard engineering !
What for ? There's bugger all manufacturing done here any more. We don't even
build P&O and Cunard's cruise liners, they're built in Germany, France and Italy.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news
What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back
say ?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

Vox Manufacturing China ???? Is nothing sacred any more ?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about
every other 'practical' field ...

Arfa

Until a few years ago, Mackie equipment was made right here in Woodinville,
WA. They eventually moved production to China in order to remain
competetive. Even some Fluke meters are now Chinese made.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message
news
What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back

say
?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

Vox Manufacturing China ???? Is nothing sacred any more ?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about

every
other 'practical' field ...

Arfa

AFAIK the last electronic component manufacturer in Hampshire went belly up
last month - well administration so far.
That is component maker rather than boards etc - Cambridge Capacitors,
Romsey

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 8, 4:13*pm, "N Cook" wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote in message

[...]

electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home..graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/- Hide quoted text -

But at the mean-time, China are rebuked by the Euro and USA countries
for what China have done such as too much surplus in foreign trade, it
is not fair, think about one example-there are many worldwide car
companies are setting up factories in China,these worldwide companies
are enjoying the low human-cost and high-profit and "contribute" more
and more surplus in trade for China , also which lead to more and more
unsatisfaction coming from the Euro and USA governments which is the
original of the car companies.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
Quad had an unsurpassed reputation for UK made Hi-Fi - both for
performance and service. Chinese owned now.

They turned me down for the position of technical director at the age of
33 saying I was *too young*.

Perhaps just a polite way of turning you down?

That's the kind of attitude that kept them in the
doldrums until were bought by IAG, the current ownes of Wharfedale too.

I don't remember them ever being in the doldrums. If you mean stagnant.
They were just a small family owned company which preferred to stay fairly
small rather than go for growth at any cost.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" skrev i en meddelelse
news
What have we done ?

Yesterday, a Vox passed across my bench. What did the plate on the back
say ?

"BUILT BY VOX MANUFACTURING CHINA UNDER THE DIRECTION OF VOX R&D ENGLAND"

Vox Manufacturing China ???? Is nothing sacred any more ?

I have to say that it wasn't too badly built, but when staunchly British
companies with a fame level like Vox start shifting their manufacturing
operations to China, then I reckon that the Western world is finished in
electronics construction, the same as it now seems to be in just about
every other 'practical' field ...

The good thing is that Peak Food is arriving just about NOW with China,
Vietnam, India Argentina, Mexico e.t.c. placing export restrictions on
various food items. The it also seems that the old favorite Peak Oil has
already arrived in Saudi Arabia; the Saudi's keep increasing the reserves
yet they cannot pump more oil (possibly because whatever they have left is
more like tar than oil). This will put a crimp on the profits in shipping
stuff across the planet.

The combine of the resulting mess of food riots and topping(!) of
middle-eastern governments will be The End of "Globalisation" and we
engineers can once again get real jobs on (re)-building our own crappy and
dillapidated infrastructure instead of telling a bunch of "foreigners" how
to do our jobs to make cheaper junk for our landfills.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

[...]

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore"
wrote in message ...

QUAD had an unsurpassed reputation for UK made Hi-Fi -- both for
performance and service. Chinese owned now.

Are they Chinese-owned (as opposed to having their products made in China)?

They turned me down for the position of technical director at the age of

33
saying I was *too young*. That's the kind of attitude that kept them in

the
doldrums until were bought by IAG, the current ownes of Wharfedale, too.

Would that all companies existed in such "doldrums". On a percentage basis,
QUAD has produced more "classic" products than any other hi-fi company. How
many loudspeakers introduced in 1957 are still considered "good" speakers?

QUAD is one of those rare companies that thoroughly researches the products
it introduces, and doesn't believe in annual model changes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote
in message news:MTpAj.2364$Mp4.594@trndny02...

Until a few years ago, Mackie equipment was made right here
in Woodinville, WA. They eventually moved production to China
in order to remain competetive. Even some Fluke meters are
now Chinese-made.

I interviewed Mackie about a decade ago. It was nice to see inexpensive
products being made in the US. Mackie employees seemed to have a good
attitude about the company and its products.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Oh Dear ... OT thread drift

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Honestly I can see us being the third world some day.. Think about it What
do we do?? Nothing? About all that I can find made in the USA is Sharpie
markers, Solo brand disposable cups and plates, beer, and food.

This is 'quite interesting'

http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
"BH" wrote in message
[...]

I think you might find that Roland took over the Vox badge some time
ago. of course they were never the same after those pesky printed
circuits were introduuced

Wharfedale make some very nice professional stage monitor speakers, not
to be confused with the chipbaord crap they churn out for the MI market.

Ron(UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

I think the *actual* question is what USED to be more English than
Wharfedale? The name was sold years ago and it's now just a badge name for
any piece of (s)crap.

No, you're thinking of the likes of the Bush brand.

The Wharfedale stuff is still repsectable and they still make speakers. If
anything they've gone UPmarket since they're now doing pro-audio.
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Default...ype=6&IdLang=1

I think it`s the TwinX series, with dualconcentric drivers, that are
good, excellent real plywood boxes and lovely sounding speakers. Rather
highly priced tho for something with a Wharfedale badge on it.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

I think the *actual* question is what USED to be more English than
Wharfedale? The name was sold years ago and it's now just a badge name
for
any piece of (s)crap.

No, you're thinking of the likes of the Bush brand.

The Wharfedale stuff is still repsectable and they still make speakers. If
anything they've gone UPmarket since they're now doing pro-audio.
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Default...ype=6&IdLang=1

The current owners also bought the Quad and Mission brands. I suspect
they're
brought more imaginative management to these old companies.
http://www.iaguk.co.uk/

Graham

Well, one thing's for sure. Whover now owns the Wharfedale name sure as hell
isn't manufacturing the 111 products listed under their name at Argos.
Everything from cordless phones, through poor quality Freeview boxes, to big
LCD TV sets. So I think that you can be pretty sure that, whilst the "Pro"
division may still be manufacturing their own designs, the rest of the
company is trading on their once good name for things hifi, by badging
anything they can lay hands on. One of the service outfits that I do work
for, is a repair agent for Argos, so I am in the unfortunate position of
seeing some of this stuff. That's not to say that everything with the
Wharfedale name on it is rubbish. Some of the LCD sets are Vestel chassis
inside, the same ones being used by many big name Jap manufacturers. But
that said, don't run away with the idea that Wharfedale is not now just
another electrical barn badge-name, and that the quality of their products
won't vary between OK and absolute crap.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote:

QUAD had an unsurpassed reputation for UK made Hi-Fi -- both for
performance and service. Chinese owned now.

Are they Chinese-owned (as opposed to having their products made in China)?

Yes, part of IAG.

They turned me down for the position of technical director at the age of
33 saying I was *too young*. That's the kind of attitude that kept them in
the doldrums until were bought by IAG, the current ownes of Wharfedale,

too.

Would that all companies existed in such "doldrums". On a percentage basis,
QUAD has produced more "classic" products than any other hi-fi company. How
many loudspeakers introduced in 1957 are still considered "good" speakers?

QUAD is one of those rare companies that thoroughly researches the products
it introduces, and doesn't believe in annual model changes.

But sadly also somewhat unadventurous. Or, rather it had become so.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

I wasn't aware of the phones and other nonsense.

I'd say that was very silly degrading the brand by associating it with that
garbage.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Eeyore"
wrote in message ...

QUAD had an unsurpassed reputation for UK made Hi-Fi -- both for
performance and service. Chinese owned now.

Are they Chinese-owned (as opposed to having their products made in
China)?

Chinese owned. I don't think the Walker family could have had stuff
manufactured in China while retaining the brand in name only. So they sold
up instead.

They turned me down for the position of technical director at the age
of

33
saying I was *too young*. That's the kind of attitude that kept them in

the
doldrums until were bought by IAG, the current ownes of Wharfedale,
too.

Would that all companies existed in such "doldrums". On a percentage
basis, QUAD has produced more "classic" products than any other hi-fi
company. How many loudspeakers introduced in 1957 are still considered
"good" speakers?

Indeed. Of course like any company they can't rest on their laurels.

QUAD is one of those rare companies that thoroughly researches the
products it introduces, and doesn't believe in annual model changes.

I dunno why they were sold - perhaps no one left in the family to carry on
the business.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote
in message news:MTpAj.2364$Mp4.594@trndny02...

Until a few years ago, Mackie equipment was made right here
in Woodinville, WA. They eventually moved production to China
in order to remain competetive. Even some Fluke meters are
now Chinese-made.

I interviewed Mackie about a decade ago. It was nice to see inexpensive
products being made in the US. Mackie employees seemed to have a good
attitude about the company and its products.

I can see there being a problem making budget gear in a high wage etc
economy, but with high end stuff is the labour cost of manufacture really
impossible to absorb? Or is it just a question of maximising profits
regardless?

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote
in message news:MTpAj.2364$Mp4.594@trndny02...

Until a few years ago, Mackie equipment was made right here
in Woodinville, WA. They eventually moved production to China
in order to remain competetive. Even some Fluke meters are
now Chinese-made.

I interviewed Mackie about a decade ago. It was nice to see
inexpensive products being made in the US. Mackie employees
seemed to have a good attitude about the company and its products.

I can see there being a problem making budget gear in a high wage
etc economy, but with high end stuff is the labour cost of manufacture
really impossible to absorb? Or is it just a question of maximising

profits
regardless?

At the time I visited, the boards were populated and soldered automatically.
The assembly line did not comprise a huge number of workers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote

Until a few years ago, Mackie equipment was made right here
in Woodinville, WA. They eventually moved production to China
in order to remain competetive. Even some Fluke meters are
now Chinese-made.

I interviewed Mackie about a decade ago. It was nice to see inexpensive
products being made in the US. Mackie employees seemed to have a good
attitude about the company and its products.

I can see there being a problem making budget gear in a high wage etc
economy, but with high end stuff is the labour cost of manufacture really
impossible to absorb? Or is it just a question of maximising profits
regardless?

Mackie isn't high-end.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote

Until a few years ago, Mackie equipment was made right here
in Woodinville, WA. They eventually moved production to China
in order to remain competetive. Even some Fluke meters are
now Chinese-made.

I interviewed Mackie about a decade ago. It was nice to see
inexpensive
products being made in the US. Mackie employees seemed to have a good
attitude about the company and its products.

I can see there being a problem making budget gear in a high wage etc
economy, but with high end stuff is the labour cost of manufacture
really
impossible to absorb? Or is it just a question of maximising profits
regardless?

Mackie isn't high-end.

Graham

Why are you hanging in my area dummy? Why don't you go back to your
hydrogen NG?

--
Service to my evil master? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD666 to
prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

Mackie gear is not does not enjoy a very good reputation here in the UK
Ron(UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

I'm struggling to get parts for two units right now ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message

Mackie gear is not does not enjoy a very good reputation
here in the UK Ron (UK)

In what respect? Because it is (was) from the US?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore"
wrote in message ...

Mackie isn't high-end.

It "sounds good". When I bought mine, I let it "break in" for a day, then
ran bypass tests on the mic preamps cum line outputs. I couldn't hear the
unit. J. Gordon Holt, who founded Stereophile, ran a similar test on a
Mackie he purchased, and was similarly surprised at the unit's transparency.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

Mackie gear is not does not enjoy a very good reputation here in the UK

I'm struggling to get parts for two units right now ...

What parts ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Why are you hanging in my area dummy? Why don't you go back to your
hydrogen NG?

YOUR area ?

Graham

Dear Abby RickH Home Repair 5 August 21st 07 09:24 PM
Dear :-) Home Repair 0 March 26th 07 04:36 PM
Oh dear, a new boiler now Bob Eager UK diy 30 October 22nd 06 08:04 PM
Dear Odinn... admin Woodworking 12 July 12th 06 07:15 PM
Dear Bush Cliff Metalworking 14 January 20th 06 12:54 AM