Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Oh Dear ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Arfa Daily wrote:

I think the *actual* question is what USED to be more English than
Wharfedale? The name was sold years ago and it's now just a badge name
for any piece of (s)crap.

No, you're thinking of the likes of the Bush brand.

The Wharfedale stuff is still repsectable and they still make speakers. If
anything they've gone UPmarket since they're now doing pro-audio.
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Default...ype=6&IdLang=1

The current owners also bought the Quad and Mission brands. I suspect
they're
brought more imaginative management to these old companies.
http://www.iaguk.co.uk/

Well, one thing's for sure. Whover now owns the Wharfedale name sure as hell
isn't manufacturing the 111 products listed under their name at Argos.
Everything from cordless phones, through poor quality Freeview boxes, to big
LCD TV sets. So I think that you can be pretty sure that, whilst the "Pro"
division may still be manufacturing their own designs, the rest of the
company is trading on their once good name for things hifi, by badging
anything they can lay hands on. One of the service outfits that I do work
for, is a repair agent for Argos, so I am in the unfortunate position of
seeing some of this stuff. That's not to say that everything with the
Wharfedale name on it is rubbish. Some of the LCD sets are Vestel chassis
inside, the same ones being used by many big name Jap manufacturers. But
that said, don't run away with the idea that Wharfedale is not now just
another electrical barn badge-name, and that the quality of their products
won't vary between OK and absolute crap.

I wasn't aware of the phones and other nonsense.

I'd say that was very silly degrading the brand by associating it with that
garbage.

Graham