Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Oh Dear ...

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Eeyore"
wrote in message ...

QUAD had an unsurpassed reputation for UK made Hi-Fi -- both for
performance and service. Chinese owned now.

Are they Chinese-owned (as opposed to having their products made in
China)?

Chinese owned. I don't think the Walker family could have had stuff
manufactured in China while retaining the brand in name only. So they sold
up instead.

They turned me down for the position of technical director at the age
of

33
saying I was *too young*. That's the kind of attitude that kept them in

the
doldrums until were bought by IAG, the current ownes of Wharfedale,
too.

Would that all companies existed in such "doldrums". On a percentage
basis, QUAD has produced more "classic" products than any other hi-fi
company. How many loudspeakers introduced in 1957 are still considered
"good" speakers?

Indeed. Of course like any company they can't rest on their laurels.

QUAD is one of those rare companies that thoroughly researches the
products it introduces, and doesn't believe in annual model changes.

I dunno why they were sold - perhaps no one left in the family to carry on
the business.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.