Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

Hi all,

Having found an open primary in the small transformer providing standby
power to a Yamaha home theatre receiver, I want to source a replacement
of course.

The transformer is marked on the side:

XW608 AO
TAM M 0118

and has no voltage or power specs on it. On the schematic there is a
voltage shown across the secondary of 12.8V AC; the primary is 240VAC
since this is an Australian unit.

The transformer is physically small (about 30x30x30 mm, or roughly an
inch and a bit on each side) so I am guessing it has a rating in the
milliamp range for the standby switch, IR receiver and a relay to switch
on the main PSU.

Can anyone offer me guidance on sourcing a replacement? Searching for
the markings via Google hasn't turned up anything useful.

Thanks for any help,

Matthew.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

As a follow up, would this do if I can't get the same component?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MM2006

The output on the original is 12.8V but this is 12.6 - I don't know what
the tolerances are but I'm guessing it would be regulated in some way.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote in
:

Having found an open primary in the small transformer ....

That's strange. Transformer primaries don't open very often. I would be
inclined to dig deeper to find out why there's an open circuit (internal
fuse open? Bad connection? Melted wire?) and whether there is any fault
downstream of the transformer (shorted component?).
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Matthew Kirkcaldie" wrote in message
As a follow up, would this do if I can't get the same component?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MM2006

The output on the original is 12.8V but this is 12.6 - I don't know what
the tolerances are but I'm guessing it would be regulated in some way.

Near enough. What about Dick Smiths?

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Matthew Kirkcaldie"

As a follow up, would this do if I can't get the same component?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MM2006

The output on the original is 12.8V but this is 12.6 - I don't know what
the tolerances are but I'm guessing it would be regulated in some way.

** Looks ideal.

As would the similar DSE M2851

BTW both unit are made to " class 2 " or double insulation requirements.

Important if that Yamaha receiver is " class 2 " - as I bet it is.

..... Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jim Land wrote:

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote in
:

Having found an open primary in the small transformer ....

That's strange. Transformer primaries don't open very often. I would be
inclined to dig deeper to find out why there's an open circuit (internal
fuse open? Bad connection? Melted wire?) and whether there is any fault
downstream of the transformer (shorted component?).

Don't know the reason, but I have removed it from the board and there is
infinite resistance across the primary terminals and no visible damage
to the transformer or the board it's on. Fuse is intact. The unit
would be about 5-6 years old I reckon.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Phil Allison" wrote:

As would the similar DSE M2851

BTW both unit are made to " class 2 " or double insulation requirements.

Important if that Yamaha receiver is " class 2 " - as I bet it is.

Thanks Phil - there's no ground on the plug so I would guess double
insulated is the way to go.

The DSE part is cheaper and available locally - thanks!
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:
[...]

Any small transformer with an approximately 12V output should be fine.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Land wrote:
Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote in
:

Having found an open primary in the small transformer ....

That's strange. Transformer primaries don't open very often. I would be
inclined to dig deeper to find out why there's an open circuit (internal
fuse open? Bad connection? Melted wire?) and whether there is any fault
downstream of the transformer (shorted component?).

Small transformers are impedance protected, the windings can be damaged
by power surges or an overloaded secondary. If the unit works after
replacing the transformer, it was probably just a surge that popped it.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Land wrote:

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote in
:

Having found an open primary in the small transformer ....

That's strange. Transformer primaries don't open very often. I would be
inclined to dig deeper to find out why there's an open circuit (internal
fuse open? Bad connection? Melted wire?) and whether there is any fault
downstream of the transformer (shorted component?).

Don't know the reason, but I have removed it from the board and there is
infinite resistance across the primary terminals and no visible damage
to the transformer or the board it's on. Fuse is intact. The unit
would be about 5-6 years old I reckon.

Mebbe it has a faulty or tripped thermal protector ?

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Jim Land wrote:

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote in
:

Having found an open primary in the small transformer ....

That's strange. Transformer primaries don't open very often. I would be
inclined to dig deeper to find out why there's an open circuit (internal
fuse open? Bad connection? Melted wire?) and whether there is any fault
downstream of the transformer (shorted component?).

Don't know the reason, but I have removed it from the board and there is
infinite resistance across the primary terminals and no visible damage
to the transformer or the board it's on. Fuse is intact. The unit
would be about 5-6 years old I reckon.

Mebbe it has a faulty or tripped thermal protector ?

Thermal protectors are fitted to prevent overheating etc. Usaully you
can by pass same, and "fix" them, but as theyre fitted for a reason( not
used to our extreme heat?) they often fail. The tranny suggested is
probly close enough.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:19:49 +1100, Matthew Kirkcaldie
wrote:

[...]

The markings will be house numbering, either from Yamaha or their chinese part
supplier. The 0118 will be a date code - week (probably) 18 of 2001, and
googling that will not uncover anything helpful.

As others have said, any comparable unit with a 12v6 secondary will be fine.
Any downstream elctronics which are voltage sensitive will have some supply
regulation, to guard against mains input variation.

Apart from the Jaycar unit mentioned, Altronics have one which has dimensional
info at http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...item&id=M2851L.. 'tis a tad
weightier, implying to me that it has more iron or copper - both good things.

Even Trickie Dickie has one
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/M2851

Which one is for you depends on how critical size is, and how near you are to
the supplier.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Land" wrote in message
. 3.44...
Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote in
:

Having found an open primary in the small transformer ....

That's strange. Transformer primaries don't open very often. I would be
inclined to dig deeper to find out why there's an open circuit (internal
fuse open? Bad connection? Melted wire?) and whether there is any fault
downstream of the transformer (shorted component?).

In my professional repair life, I replace trannies in hifi units all the
time, that have primaries that have gone open for no apparent reason. Yes,
sometimes there is a thermal fuse in the primary, and yes, sometimes it's
connected across a couple of external pins so can be temporarily bridged for
test purposes, but I find it rare to then come across a fault downstream,
that has caused a genuine overheat that has led to the failure.

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Matthew Kirkcaldie" wrote in message
As a follow up, would this do if I can't get the same component?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MM2006

The output on the original is 12.8V but this is 12.6 - I don't know what
the tolerances are but I'm guessing it would be regulated in some way.

That tranny will work just fine. The only thing that I would say is that
power transformers in domestic equipment are usually what's known as a
"designated safety component". This means that they formed part of the
original design approval which declared the unit physically safe - it won't
set fire to your house in the event of it failing - and electrically safe -
it won't make the equipment live in the event of a breakdown of the
insulation on the winding wire or terminations. You can identify components
which form part of a safety spec, and are thus "designated", because they
have an exclamation mark inside a triangle, marked by them on the schematic.

If you do substitute a non-Yamaha transformer for the original, this would
almost certainly compromise the original safety approvals for the equipment,
and if there were any unforseen unfortunate consequences down the line,
Yamaha would have no liability at all.

Almost certainly, replacing this tranny with a substitute, will cause no
problems at all, but I think that you should be aware of exactly what you
are doing for your own peace of mind. For what its worth, as a professional
repairer with a legal duty of care to the public, I would never substitute a
transformer that is going to run 24 hours a day, as a standby tranny is, nor
would I recommend others to do so. At the very least, I would try to check,
through the suppliers or even directly with the manufacturers, that any
tranny you intend to use is rated for continuous operation. I would also
contact a Yamaha spares agent to check the price and availability of a
genuine replacement, after you have proven that all is well by checking with
your substitute in place. Not trying to put you off or anything, just advice

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Almost certainly, replacing this tranny with a substitute, will cause no
problems at all, but I think that you should be aware of exactly what you
are doing for your own peace of mind. For what its worth, as a professional
repairer with a legal duty of care to the public, I would never substitute a
transformer that is going to run 24 hours a day, as a standby tranny is, nor
would I recommend others to do so. At the very least, I would try to check,
through the suppliers or even directly with the manufacturers, that any
tranny you intend to use is rated for continuous operation. I would also
contact a Yamaha spares agent to check the price and availability of a
genuine replacement, after you have proven that all is well by checking with
your substitute in place. Not trying to put you off or anything, just advice

Thanks Arfa, wise words there and I will certainly think it over.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Arfa Dialy = Scum of the Planet

"Arfa Daily" = Dodgy Advice Par Excellence Merchant

That tranny will work just fine. The only thing that I would say is that
power transformers in domestic equipment are usually what's known as a
"designated safety component".

** In Class 2 equipment only - you PITA pommy panic merchant.

This means that they formed part of the original design approval which
declared the unit physically safe

** In Class 2 equipment only - you PITA pommy panic merchant.

- it won't set fire to your house in the event of it failing

** What does this paranoid know nothing ****ing ASS imagine the damn AC
fuse is for .....

If you do substitute a non-Yamaha transformer for the original, this would
almost certainly compromise the original safety approvals for the
equipment,

** Only in Class 2 equipment - you PITA panic merchant.

Then only if the replacement is not a Class 2 compliant device.

Both the suggested subs ARE !!!!

** Yamaha supplied the POS that ****ing failed - you dumb as dog ****
pommy ****.

Almost certainly, replacing this tranny with a substitute, will cause no
problems at all, but I think that you should be aware of exactly what you
are doing for your own peace of mind.

** Whaaaaaaaattt ??

This anonymous pommy **** is not balming anyone's piece of mind.

Cos the paranoid **** is damn well out of his !!!

** Shame YOU have NO ****ing idea what professionalism is all about.

Else you would not be posting such ** ****e ** under a stupid pseudonym.

I would never substitute a transformer that is going to run 24 hours a
day, as a standby tranny is, nor would I recommend others to do so.

** That would be entirely because you are an autistic, knee trembling, know
nothing, ****ing pile of pommy puke.

Well, at least tat is so on your good days .. ...

At the very least, I would try to check, through the suppliers or even
directly with the manufacturers, that any tranny you intend to use is
rated for continuous operation.

** LOL

Does so this annoynous PITA paranoid pommy **** have proof there are any
that are NOT ??

Won't hold my breath !!!

I would also contact a Yamaha spares agent to check the price and
availability of a genuine replacement, after you have proven that all is
well by checking with your substitute in place. Not trying to put you off
or anything, just advice

** Pile of ASD ****ed, human garbage like " Arfur Daily" are regularly
taken out to a dark spot at night and kicked to death here in Australia

The decent blokes who do it deserve a medal.

........ Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily"

In my professional repair life,

** ROTFLMAO !!

What "professional life "' ?????????????

I replace trannies in hifi units all the time, that have primaries that
have gone open for no apparent reason.

** Well, there is always a simple reason for such events.

But nothing is "apparent " to a congenitally BRAIN DEAD **** !!.

Yes, sometimes there is a thermal fuse in the primary, and yes, sometimes
it's connected across a couple of external pins so can be temporarily
bridged for test purposes, but I find it rare to then come across a fault
downstream, that has caused a genuine overheat that has led to the
failure.

** LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might jus be becos the PROBLEM is UPSTREAM !!'

In the hands of the pommy IDIOT who owned and abused the stinking slope
head built POS.

.... Phil Allison

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

[...]

Read properly what I said you half baked antipodean ****

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow"

"Arfa Daily" = Dodgy Advice Par Excellence Merchant

Problem is, Arfa is right 99.9% of the time.

** LOL - says who ???

Someone who is also wrong 99.9% of the time.

........ Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily"

Read properly what I said you half baked antipodean ****

** I did - asinine fools like you make me puke.

--------------------------------------

[...]

Well, at least that is so on your good days ...

At the very least, I would try to check, through the suppliers or even
directly with the manufacturers, that any tranny you intend to use is
rated for continuous operation.

** LOL

Does so this anonymous PITA paranoid pommy **** have proof there are any
that are NOT so rated ??

Won't hold my breath !!!

I would also contact a Yamaha spares agent to check the price and
availability of a genuine replacement, after you have proven that all is
well by checking with your substitute in place. Not trying to put you off
or anything, just advice

** Pile of ASD ****ed, human garbage like " Arfur Daily" are regularly
taken out to a dark spot at night and kicked to death here in Australia

The decent blokes who do it deserve a medal.

........ Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily"

Read properly what I said you half baked antipodean ****

** I did - asinine fools like you make me puke.

Well Allison, that's GOOD, because with any luck you'll choke on it, and we
can all laugh as you die, foaming at that filthy mouth of yours. In the
meantime, take your sorry in-bred criminal descended arse back to
aus.stupid.****s where we sent your unwanted ancestors in the first place,
and crawl back under that rock that you call home. You're not clever, you're
stupid, and show yourself to be with every post that you make. Nobody is
interested in anything that you have to say, and never has been. You delude
yourself when you think that your cronies are laughing with you. They are in
fact laughing AT you, you dumb piece of kangaroo ****. Now **** OFF.

[...]

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

**Yamaha are usually pretty helpful and not stupidly priced for spare parts.
Try them. The part will fit like a glove.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Well Allison, that's GOOD, because with any luck you'll choke on it, and
we can all laugh as you die, foaming at that filthy mouth of yours.

Just killfile him Arfa. His signal to noise is about the highest of any
newsgroup contributor so really not worth wading through for the 1% of
useful stuff he posts.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Trevor Wilson wrote:
**Yamaha are usually pretty helpful and not stupidly priced for spare
parts. Try them. The part will fit like a glove.

I've not had cause to use them for audio parts, but their computer side is
one of the worst I've ever come across and put me off them as a company.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily Scum of the Planet MORON "

Give it up and walk away with a bit of dignity, you poor sad medicated fool.
You had a pop at me once before on a different group, and eventually came
off worst. Perhaps I am the scum of the planet, and if that's what you
believe, then by all means, carry on calling me it - I really don't care,
but with each increasingly pathetic post, which follows in your normal
pattern of first unleashing an unwarranted tirade of filth, you make
yourself look less and less credible.

Having read your posts in your more lucid moments, I don't doubt that you
have technical expertise, but any respect that you might build up for
yourself in the on-line electronics service community in between 'episodes',
is immediately blown again when those deformed neurons in your addled brain,
start firing randomly again.

I don't care if you disagree with something I post, and it's fine to say
so - it's what debate amongst SANE people is about, but when you start in
this way, you are just out of line. *I* certainly don't want to see it on
here, and I'm sure that most other regulars don't. Using the ultra foul
language that you do, in the extremely angry way that you do, might be the
norm in the community that you live in, but don't inflict it on internet
newsgroups, where there are likely to be much more sensitive souls than me,
and worse, children reading it.

Now go and take your meds, and if you don't have meds to control this
behaviour, I would STRONGLY recommend that you go and get some professional
help before you do something a lot more serious than abusing the pivileges
that you ISP provides you with ...

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Dave Plowman = Worse Scum

"Dave Plowman (News)"

Arfa Daily

Just killfile him Arfa.

** Excellent idea.

Then I can get stuck into this despicable, gutless pile of pommy excrement
with no interference.

....... Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily"

** I know the exactly the sort of vile pommy **** you ARE !!

Hundreds of clones just like you are living right here in Sydney.

Aussies call the evil, narcissistic pukes: " Ten Pound Poms ".

Cos that is how much they paid for their passage here in some rusting pommy
tub.

Shame we cannot deport the whole disgusting lot.

[...]

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily"

** I know the exactly the sort of vile pommy **** you ARE !!

Hundreds of clones just like you are living right here in Sydney.

Aussies call the evil, narcissistic pukes: " Ten Pound Poms ".

Cos that is how much they paid for their passage here in some rusting
pommy tub.

Shame we cannot deport the whole disgusting lot.

Which, I would venture to suggest, makes you EXACTLY what I first said you
were - descended from the real scum and criminals that we originally
DEPORTED to that arsehole of the world that you call home, because they
weren't wanted here. And you call me a moron ...

****.

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Trevor Wilson wrote:
**Yamaha are usually pretty helpful and not stupidly priced for spare
parts. Try them. The part will fit like a glove.

I've not had cause to use them for audio parts, but their computer side is
one of the worst I've ever come across and put me off them as a company.

**Your lack of local knowledge is duly noted. Matthew posts from Australia.
The local Yamaha distributor provides an excellent backup for their
products.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

I would highly recommend killfiling him also, my enjoyment of
the group went up considerably after doing so,
and as a bonus, I do get to see pieces of his inane posts but
only when much more sane people are 'replying' to him! :-)

--
Cheers,

Marc

* My email address requires the identical words and
* underscores removed to email me

Arfa Daily wrote:
Well Allison, that's GOOD, because with any luck you'll choke on it, and
we can all laugh as you die, foaming at that filthy mouth of yours.

Just killfile him Arfa. His signal to noise is about the highest of any
newsgroup contributor so really not worth wading through for the 1% of
useful stuff he posts.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily"

** I know the exactly the sort of vile pommy **** this is.

Hundreds of clones of him are living right here in Sydney.

[...]

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Oh dear oh dear. You really are losing it aren't you ? Now you're posting
stuff that you already did a couple of days ago ....

Truth is, you amuse me no end, but you know what Allison ? You don't have
the intellect to do this. No really. You don't. You have the literary skills
of a 10 year old and, apart from the filth that rattles round in your
porcine head, a vocabulary to match. But hey - do I care ? Not a bit. I've
been called worse in my long life, by far better than you, so you just carry
on doing it, and I'll carry on putting you down until it doesn't amuse me
any more. In the meantime, I might just run this past a very good friend of
mine who is in the police force. I'm sure that some of his colleagues down
your neck of the woods might be very interested to find out what you know
about any unsolved kickings to death ...

You know you really are one sorry excuse for a human being. I should think
that every good Australian - and there are many - who read your mindless
ravings, squirm with embarrassment at coming from the same place, and having
to put up with you as an ambassador for the country.

You are thick, and not only that, you are stupid in the most literal sense
of the word. Why ? Because I say so, that's why.

And you are still a ****.

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily"

** I know the exactly the sort of vile pommy **** this is.

Hundreds of clones of him are living right here in Sydney.

Aussies call the evil, narcissistic pukes: " Ten Pound Poms ".

Cos that is how much they paid for their passage here in some rusting
pommy tub. Shame we cannot deport the whole disgusting lot.

Oh dear oh dear. You really are losing it aren't you ? Now you're posting
stuff that you already did a couple of days ago ....

** I will keep posting it over and over until YOU make some attempt to
respond to the issues raised therein.

Or publicly admit you to being utter ****ing moron and have not the faintest
bloody clue how.

It is worth repeating:

Piles of ASD ****ed, human garbage like " Arfa Daily" are regularly taken
out to a dark spot at night and kicked to death here in Australia & the
decent blokes who do it deserve a medal.

........ Phil

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Way to go Phool - sorry - Phil !! Keep it coming. We're all having a VERY
jolly time laughing our cocks off at you ... And we'll laugh harder still
when it's you that winds up in a dark spot all dead like, because even your
own countrymen can't put up with you ... And yet STILL a **** !!

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Can you two loverboys please get a room? We don't
want to listen to your lovesick panting any more.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

You didn't raise any issues WORTH responding to. You see that's just what I
mean. You don't even understand your own limited vocabulary. All you have
actually done is loose off a tirade of filthy-mouthed abuse, as you always
do, and as anyone who has frequented this group, or one of the others since
the last time you forgot to take your meds, actually knows, and tried to
play that stupid game of "my cock's bigger than yours pal". The 'points'
that you raise, are, as always, stupidly naiive, and just an excuse to "have
a go". Most of the people that you have picked on over the years get all
indignant with you, and start ranting back about their abilities trying to
justify themselves. I have neither the need nor desire to do that. I don't
care what you think of me, because it can't possibly have any foundation in
fact. You don't know me. You don't know anything about me. You are just
throwing utterly senseless accusations around the 'net to try to make
yourself look big and clever, which you are not.

I was quite happy to carry on making you look stupid for as long as it took,
and as long as it provided some light entertainment to others, but there has
now been another complaint, so I will take that as my cue to stop. Your
repeated reposting of the same old stuff has now ceased to amuse me anyway.

Arfa

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Clifford Heath" wrote in message
Can you two loverboys please get a room? We don't
want to listen to your lovesick panting any more.

The day I love that half-arsed plank is the day that hell freezes over, but
no worries, point taken. I was only carrying on with it just for the
amusement of winding him up, but his repeated posting of the same few lines
has become tiresome now anyway. As an Aussie yourself, doesn't his behaviour
as an ambassador of your country on here embarrass you ? Just interested ...

Arfa