Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
rebel rebel is offline

Default Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:19:49 +1100, Matthew Kirkcaldie
wrote:

Hi all,

Having found an open primary in the small transformer providing standby
power to a Yamaha home theatre receiver, I want to source a replacement
of course.

The transformer is marked on the side:

XW608 AO
TAM M 0118

and has no voltage or power specs on it. On the schematic there is a
voltage shown across the secondary of 12.8V AC; the primary is 240VAC
since this is an Australian unit.

The transformer is physically small (about 30x30x30 mm, or roughly an
inch and a bit on each side) so I am guessing it has a rating in the
milliamp range for the standby switch, IR receiver and a relay to switch
on the main PSU.

Can anyone offer me guidance on sourcing a replacement? Searching for
the markings via Google hasn't turned up anything useful.

The markings will be house numbering, either from Yamaha or their chinese part
supplier. The 0118 will be a date code - week (probably) 18 of 2001, and
googling that will not uncover anything helpful.

As others have said, any comparable unit with a 12v6 secondary will be fine.
Any downstream elctronics which are voltage sensitive will have some supply
regulation, to guard against mains input variation.

Apart from the Jaycar unit mentioned, Altronics have one which has dimensional
info at http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...item&id=M2851L.. 'tis a tad
weightier, implying to me that it has more iron or copper - both good things.

Even Trickie Dickie has one
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/M2851

Which one is for you depends on how critical size is, and how near you are to
the supplier.