Roger M.

Default Why do i need a jointer?

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to over
20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut
straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards in
place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding
even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't
use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

--
Roger J. Matye

A woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke !
.......... Rudyard Kipling

Doug Miller

In article , "Roger M." wrote:
Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

To make straight and flat, things that are not. There are other ways of
achieving the same result.

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to over
20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut
straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards in
place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding
even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't
use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

If you're happy with the results you're getting without it, then you don't
need one.

--
Regards,

Paul Kierstead

Roger M. wrote:
I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

I am sorry, I do not understand your question. Are you asking what the
purpose of a jointer is? I don't think so; I would imagine someone with
said 20 years of build well knows the purpose of a jointer. Are you
asking if it is right for you? How would we know? You haven't even
listed your needs?

Or are you being "clever" and criticizing those who do use a jointer?

What is the purpose of your challenge?

PK
Todd Fatheree

"Roger M." wrote in message
Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to

over
20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut
straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards

in
place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding
even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't
use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

More than likely the lumber store used a jointer to get that straight edge,
so you're basically farming that out, which is why you don't need it for
that. It sounds to me like you're not buying rough lumber but S3S, which is
(or should be) ready to plane to your desired thickness and rip to width.
People who truly buy rough lumber use either a hand plane or a jointer to
get one of the faces flat and then either the hand plane again (more power
to them) or a planer to bring it to a consistent thickness. So, if you're
buying S3S, it's relatively easy to get around using the jointer.

todd

Leon

"Roger M." wrote in message
Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to
over 20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side
cut straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards
in place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for
sanding even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and
i don't use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer
if u can tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered
this for quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in
advance.

You do not.

If you were buying bowed, twisted, or warped wood it would help you flatten
or straighten the wood. I have a jointer and it is probably going to
disappear. Most the lumber that I buy is pretty good to start with as
apparently is yours.

loutent

Hi Roger,

I consider myself an amateur woodworker with
almost 20 years shop (hobby-type) time.

I convinced myself that I needed a jointer about 10
years ago while watching Norm. Set out to get the
best deal I could and eventually bought a Delta 6-incher.

I swear that next to the table saw, I use it more than almost
any other tool (ok, maybe the router is second!).

Anytime I want to shave off a 64th or 32th, guess what I
plug in? Sure, you can do it with a hand plane or
a TS (maybe), but for fast, accurate truing (sp?), I would
not trade the jointer for anything.

Certainly, you can do without it, but it is a great
piece of iron to have around when you need it.

After 20 years of working without one tho, I would
say just keep on doing what you're doing if you're happy
with the time & process you use. On the other hand, if you
have to ask, maybe you do need one!

Happy woodworking!

Lou

In article , Roger M.
wrote:

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to over
20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut
straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards in
place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding
even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't
use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Unisaw A100

Paul Kierstead wrote:
What is the purpose of your challenge?

I think he's somewhere between wanting to be a provocateur
and seeking an enabler.

At least that's the way it read to me. He did a lousy job
with it either way.

UA100, who hasn't used his jointer in a year or so but
that's onna 'count of the motor is sitting on the floor...

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:01:32 GMT, "Roger M." wrote:

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to over
20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut
straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards in
place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding
even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't
use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

jointers are bunk.

they don't really do anything. just another mysterious gadget invented
to separate unwitting woodworkers from their hard earned cash....
Ba r r y

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:09:59 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

UA100, who hasn't used his jointer in a year or so but
that's onna 'count of the motor is sitting on the floor...

So, pick it up!

Barry

Geoff

Time is money. After a couple of years I think I've finally recouped my
investment on the jointer. It definitely speeds things up.

In my experience, rough lumber with one side cut straight is never
truly square to the face of the board. It may appear so when you are
selecting the boards, but when you let it rest in your workshop you'll
probably get a bit of movement. A jointer will make quick work out of
re-straightening and re-squaring the boards. And if you need to cut
larger stock to smaller width with a bandsaw, you are going to release
some pressure in the stock which will surely make it move (depending on
the species you're working with).

I use the jointer to generate a flat (albeit with circular cutter
waves) edge, then remove any cup on the face while at the same time
creating a square edge. Unfortunately you need to always calibrate your
jointer to make sure it is square to the fence.

If I'm joining boards into a panel, I find that the jointer really
isn't enough. It looks good, but there may be 0.01" or so gaps along
the edge of the boards. However, these edges are square.

I then take the 2 boards to be joined together and clamp them (facing
edges up) to the table. I use a long benchplane to smooth both edges
together. This removes circular marks from the jointer blade and makes
sure that the 2 edges match perfectly.

And forgive me, Norm, but if you do it this way you don't need to use
biscuits or an $800 Lamello biscuit jointer.

Nate Perkins

"Roger M." wrote in
:

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up
to over 20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one
side cut straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my
"General" contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to
hold my boards in place while gluing. When I take the boards to a
local saw shop for sanding even,. they always comment on how straight
and even they are ( and i don't use any type of biscuits or doweling).
I will purchase a jointer if u can tell me what benefits there are in
having one. I have wondered this for quite some years, and am hoping
someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

You only need a jointer if you aren't satisfied that your boards are
straight and square, without cup or twist.
Ba r r y

On 28 Dec 2004 20:55:53 -0800, "Geoff" wrote:

Unfortunately you need to always calibrate your
jointer to make sure it is square to the fence.

Right!

I carry a 6" combo square in my apron at all times, as I'm constantly
using it. Checking the jointer takes 5 seconds, I don't bother if I'm
face jointing.

If carrying the square dosen't suit your habits, why not buy a $4
drafting triangle and leave it at the machine?

Barry

Unisaw A100

So, pick it up!

But, it's heavy.

UA100
Swingman

"Geoff" wrote in message

Time is money. After a couple of years I think I've finally recouped my
investment on the jointer. It definitely speeds things up.

Bingo on all counts. My payback was a bit quicker. I basically paid for a
Powermatic 54a by milling free walnut 'scraps' from a sign shop into 3x3x36
leg blanks. For $11.75 b/f for S4S 3" walnut blanks, it didn't take long.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

igor

On 28 Dec 2004 20:55:53 -0800, "Geoff" wrote:

[snip]

If I'm joining boards into a panel, I find that the jointer really
isn't enough. It looks good, but there may be 0.01" or so gaps along
the edge of the boards. However, these edges are square.

I then take the 2 boards to be joined together and clamp them (facing
edges up) to the table. I use a long benchplane to smooth both edges
together. This removes circular marks from the jointer blade and makes
sure that the 2 edges match perfectly.

I s'pose I should not argue with success, but if the two boards have their
(soon-to-be) facing sides up for planing together, how does that make sure
that they match? Seems you would have mirror images in your result. Now,
the mirrors may be perfect so that they are perfectly tight when put
together. But if there is an error along the way, doing it your way
_seems_ to raise the propsect of a compounded error -- i.e., take a little
two much off along the way and when the edges face each other the gap will
be twice the amount you took off. OTOH, if your technique is as good as
your results suggest, then doing the two boards at once would seem to save
time and effort. But, again, doing it _this way_ would not seem to help
ensure a perfect match. My hunch is that _you_ would have a perfect match
even if you did the boards one at a time.

Caveat: I say all this having used neither a jointer nor one of these
high-f'luttin planes some of youse guys have. I'm just trying to follow
along. -- Igor
Swingman

"igor" wrote in message

Caveat: I say all this having used neither a jointer nor one of these
high-f'luttin planes some of youse guys have. I'm just trying to follow
along.

You're right, nothing is ever perfect (and the more expensive the wood, the
less perfect it is, particularly when you're on the last piece). But, if
done properly, the described method will give you "perfect enough" results
than you would get by doing the edges one at a time without some stable, and
repeatable reference, preferably perpendicular to the edge you're preparing.

Assuming the faces of the stock are parallel, the idea is to insure that the
joined edges, if not precisely 90 degrees each, are at least
'complementary', in that they add up to 90 degrees.

IME when planing with this method, which is limited, it works best when the
thickness of the two pieces clamped together is less than the width of blade
doing the cutting, so that both edges are cut all the away across on the
same stroke.

Actually, you don't even need to go out to the shop to see the principle in
action. Grab a piece of paper and scissors and cut out two virtual
tubafours. Lay them on top of each other and snip one end off with the
scissors, either straight across, or at a slight angle. Now join the two
snipped ends and they should match.

You can do the same thing on a jointer, and remove any small error in the
fence being 90 degrees to the tables, by alternating good-face-in,
good-face-out, when jointing for long grain edge to edge glue-ups.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Ba r r y

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:12:52 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

So, pick it up!

But, it's heavy.

Get help!

Barry

Duane Bozarth

"Roger M." wrote:

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

If your work habits are pleasing to you and you can accomplish what you
want w/o one, I'm not going to try to persuade you otherwise...

If, otoh, you're interested in purchasing lumber rough sawn and/or want
to take on more or larger work and perhaps do some of the routine work
more quickly, then a jointer may be of some advantage. However, if
you do decide on one, I would recommend that nothing less than an 8" one
will satisfy for the long run unless small work is all you do, but even
there being able to face joint something wider than 6" is a real
benefit.

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc., ...
Bob G.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:01:32 GMT, "Roger M." wrote:

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to over
20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut
straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards in
place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding
even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't
use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

=========================
What can I say except that I have been creating sawdust for 20 years
LONGER then you and I need a ...Jointer.

It just seems to me that anyone who would go to the trouble to have
his supplier put one straight edge on his rough lumber then " plane"
that same rough lumber (by hand or not) then glue up a panel
would also take the time to grab the resulting glued up panel and
plane and sand it himselp....

Maybe my definition of rough lumber is different then yours...

Somehow I think you are starting with lumber that is surfaced on 3
sides ...(that is not rough cut lumber by my definition) then gluing
it up then hauling it to a local shop to have the faces sanded
flat......

Just my thought...

Bob Griffiths

jo4hn

Ba r r y wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:12:52 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

So, pick it up!

But, it's heavy.

Get help!

Barry

Just kneel down. It's a lot easier. Trust me (old Swedish saying).
j4
Unisaw A100

Get help!
Barry

Like sikotherapee?

UA100
GregP

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:30:06 GMT, igor wrote:

I s'pose I should not argue with success, but if the two boards have their
(soon-to-be) facing sides up for planing together, how does that make sure
that they match? Seems you would have mirror images in your result. Now,
the mirrors may be perfect so that they are perfectly tight when put
together. .....

I think that he means the angle of the edge. I sympathize
with that: I find it much harder to maintain a 90 deg angle
than I do in obtaining a "straight edge" (or something very
close).

Slowhand

"Roger M." wrote in message
Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to
over 20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side
cut straight.

There you go. Try getting those edges straight when you come across a gloat
of 1500 bf of insert wood species here. It's been my experience that all
edges are rough (if not in raw log form), twisted, and need to be jointed.
Try doing that on your General. Soooo, you keep buying your expensive
lumber and you don't need a jointer. Good on ya.
SH - Still wanting the 16" man machine.

Frank

"Roger M." wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like you don't need a jointer but have some money to spend. So why
not spend the money on a drum sander then you don't have to take it to
someone else to finish off your projects?

Silvan

GregP wrote:

I think that he means the angle of the edge. I sympathize
with that: I find it much harder to maintain a 90 deg angle
than I do in obtaining a "straight edge" (or something very
close).

Just don't try that on a chess board. It reallllly matters. I had
everything smooth as glass and perfectly adjoining, at whatever not quite
perfect angle it happened to be until it fit right.

Actually, the fit wasn't the problem, but the thickness. I wasn't thinking.
I wound up with random width boards. Looked really stupid after the second
cut, with every "square" a different size.

Oops.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Brian Henderson

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:31:22 -0500, Paul Kierstead
wrote:

I am sorry, I do not understand your question. Are you asking what the
purpose of a jointer is? I don't think so; I would imagine someone with
said 20 years of build well knows the purpose of a jointer. Are you
asking if it is right for you? How would we know? You haven't even
listed your needs?

I would assume that someone with 20 years of building experience would
know that "u" is not a word.

Silvan

Brian Henderson wrote:

I would assume that someone with 20 years of building experience would
know that "u" is not a word.

Well, actually, it *is* a word in at least one language. It means "or" in
Spanish, if it comes before a word starting with the letter O. As in, "uno
u otro."

In English, however, it is generally indicative of someone who's even more
whippersnapperier than I am; 20-somethings and teenies. It's these punk
new generation kiddies with their stupid online gaming who are changing the
shape of our language 4ever. I fear u and i are fighting a l00zin9 battl3,
and all these w0rdz are going to make it into the dictionary sooner, rather
than l8tr. Then we wont be able to win "that's not a word" arguments, and
these punks will dance on the grave of what used to be a respectable and
dignified language.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Swingman

"Silvan"

In English, however, it is generally indicative of someone who's even more
whippersnapperier than I am; 20-somethings and teenies. It's these punk
new generation kiddies with their stupid online gaming who are changing

the
shape of our language 4ever. I fear u and i are fighting a l00zin9

battl3,
and all these w0rdz are going to make it into the dictionary sooner,

rather
than l8tr. Then we wont be able to win "that's not a word" arguments, and
these punks will dance on the grave of what used to be a respectable and
dignified language.

u r rite.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Phisherman

A jointer is the table saw's best friend. Anyone can do without a
jointer, with the tradeoff in time. I love my DJ-20. I have built
many pieces of furniture using only hand tools, but it takes patience
and a little skill.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:01:32 GMT, "Roger M." wrote:

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to over
20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side cut
straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my "General"
contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to hold my boards in
place while gluing. When I take the boards to a local saw shop for sanding
even,. they always comment on how straight and even they are ( and i don't
use any type of biscuits or doweling). I will purchase a jointer if u can
tell me what benefits there are in having one. I have wondered this for
quite some years, and am hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

GregP

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:21:07 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

In English, however, it is generally indicative of someone who's even more
whippersnapperier than I am; 20-somethings and teenies. It's these punk
new generation kiddies with their stupid online gaming who are changing the
shape of our language 4ever. I fear u and i are fighting a l00zin9 battl3,
and all these w0rdz are going to make it into the dictionary sooner, rather
than l8tr. Then we wont be able to win "that's not a word" arguments, and
these punks will dance on the grave of what used to be a respectable and
dignified language.

Each new generation is a reflection of the one that raised it.
Doug Brown

probably true but I fear there was precious little "raising" done by most
our my/our contemporaries. Too few people know or understand that "parent"
is both a noun and verb.
wrote:

In English, however, it is generally indicative of someone who's even

more
whippersnapperier than I am; 20-somethings and teenies. It's these punk
new generation kiddies with their stupid online gaming who are changing

the
shape of our language 4ever. I fear u and i are fighting a l00zin9

battl3,
and all these w0rdz are going to make it into the dictionary sooner,

rather
than l8tr. Then we wont be able to win "that's not a word" arguments,

and
these punks will dance on the grave of what used to be a respectable and
dignified language.

Each new generation is a reflection of the one that raised it.

Swingman

"GregP" wrote in message

Each new generation is a reflection of the one that raised it.

Maybe before the Gutenberg Press ... but mass media and instant
communication are distorting that "reflection" with increasing speed since.

Makes you wonder what reflection the "eParenting" generation will cast.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

It's these punk new generation kiddies with their stupid
online gaming who are changing the shape of our
language 4ever.

Maybee they're following in the footsteps of the greats. I have heard/read
that when Wm. Shakespear needed a word that rhymed, he invented one. ;-)

-- Mark

Roger M.

A simple thanks to those who gave me a sensible answer.....and to those who
gave me wise- ass comments........U HURT MY FEELINGS ! I will use the
money I save on not buying a jointer for more walnut, cherry etc...
"Roger M." wrote in message
[...]

Todd Fatheree

"Roger M." wrote in message
A simple thanks to those who gave me a sensible answer.....and to those

who
gave me wise- ass comments........U HURT MY FEELINGS ! I will use the
money I save on not buying a jointer for more walnut, cherry etc...

Thanks for the update.

todd