Slowhand

"Roger M." wrote in message
Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up to
over 20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one side
cut straight.

There you go. Try getting those edges straight when you come across a gloat
of 1500 bf of insert wood species here. It's been my experience that all
edges are rough (if not in raw log form), twisted, and need to be jointed.
Try doing that on your General. Soooo, you keep buying your expensive
lumber and you don't need a jointer. Good on ya.
SH - Still wanting the 16" man machine.