Nate Perkins

"Roger M." wrote in
:

Seriously........Why does one need a jointer??

I have made a beautiful desk, and other furniture that have stood up
to over 20 years of my abuse. I always buy my rough lumber with one
side cut straight, and I take it home to plane, and then rip on my
"General" contractors table saw. I use old fashioned pipe clamps to
hold my boards in place while gluing. When I take the boards to a
local saw shop for sanding even,. they always comment on how straight
and even they are ( and i don't use any type of biscuits or doweling).
I will purchase a jointer if u can tell me what benefits there are in
having one. I have wondered this for quite some years, and am hoping
someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

You only need a jointer if you aren't satisfied that your boards are
straight and square, without cup or twist.