igor

On 28 Dec 2004 20:55:53 -0800, "Geoff" wrote:

[snip]

If I'm joining boards into a panel, I find that the jointer really
isn't enough. It looks good, but there may be 0.01" or so gaps along
the edge of the boards. However, these edges are square.

I then take the 2 boards to be joined together and clamp them (facing
edges up) to the table. I use a long benchplane to smooth both edges
together. This removes circular marks from the jointer blade and makes
sure that the 2 edges match perfectly.

I s'pose I should not argue with success, but if the two boards have their
(soon-to-be) facing sides up for planing together, how does that make sure
that they match? Seems you would have mirror images in your result. Now,
the mirrors may be perfect so that they are perfectly tight when put
together. But if there is an error along the way, doing it your way
_seems_ to raise the propsect of a compounded error -- i.e., take a little
two much off along the way and when the edges face each other the gap will
be twice the amount you took off. OTOH, if your technique is as good as
your results suggest, then doing the two boards at once would seem to save
time and effort. But, again, doing it _this way_ would not seem to help
ensure a perfect match. My hunch is that _you_ would have a perfect match
even if you did the boards one at a time.

Caveat: I say all this having used neither a jointer nor one of these
high-f'luttin planes some of youse guys have. I'm just trying to follow
along. -- Igor