NoNameAtAll

Default Which 6" jointer?

I have settled on getting a jointer next and I'm looking for some advice on
which one to get. I've ruled out the 8" models because they're just too
expensive. With regard to 6" models, the ones in my price range that I've been
able to identify are the following:

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 31849-5VGA 7" INDUSTRIAL RABBETING JOINTER
WITH STAND ($219) (OK, I know this is 7" rather than 6" but it's still in my
price range)

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 30289-8VGA 6'' INDUSTRIAL RABBETING JOINTER
($270)

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 45253-0VGA 6'' JOINTER WITH STAND ($300)

Grizzly G1182Z 6" x 47" Super Heavy-Duty Jointer - Z Series ($325)

Grizzly G1182HW 6" x 47" Jointer With Handwheels ($325)

Grizzly G1182ZHW 6" x 47" Super Heavy-Duty Jointer with Handwheels - Z Series
($425)

Delta JT360 Shopmaster 6" Stationary Jointer ($450)

Grizzly G1182ZX 6" x 47" Heavy-Duty Jointer ($475)

Grizzly G1182ZXHW 6" x 47" Heavy-duty Jointer with Handwheels ($475)

To tell you the truth those last two are probably out of my price range. In
fact, I had hoped to spend less than $400 if I can still get a good machine for
that price. If everything that cheap is junk, then I'll just have to bit the
bullet and pay more. And of course, if I missed any models, by all means please
point them out to me.

Anyway, I spent a couple hours last night comparing the specs for these
machines and frankly I don't see much of a difference. Of course, I'm not sure
what I should be looking for in a jointer, so that inhibits my ability to
research them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for your
patience with all these newbie inquiries.
Edwin Pawlowski

"NoNameAtAll" wrote in message

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 31849-5VGA 7" INDUSTRIAL RABBETING

JOINTER
WITH STAND ($219) (OK, I know this is 7" rather than 6" but it's still in

my
price range)

There was mention of this one last week. The owner could not get good 7"
blades and is using another brand of 6".

Nothing from Harbor Freight impresses me.
Ed

Stephen M

That was me.

That was not the only problem.... the motor never worked... I eventually
ended up using a spare from an old table saw.

Stay away from the HF/CM machines.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"NoNameAtAll" wrote in message

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 31849-5VGA 7" INDUSTRIAL RABBETING

JOINTER
WITH STAND ($219) (OK, I know this is 7" rather than 6" but it's still

in
my
price range)

There was mention of this one last week. The owner could not get good 7"
blades and is using another brand of 6".

Nothing from Harbor Freight impresses me.
Ed

mttt

"NoNameAtAll" wrote in message

Anyway, I spent a couple hours last night comparing the specs for these
machines and frankly I don't see much of a difference. Of course, I'm not

sure
what I should be looking for in a jointer, so that inhibits my ability to
research them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for

your
patience with all these newbie inquiries.

Know the feeling - the specs will be similar to identical. What you cannot
get a sense for is "quality". Does the fence move easily? Are the relevant
parts flat? Are the parts that need to be tight and in tolerance, tight and
in tolerance?

Even tho' many of the machines are similar in appearnce; similar in
construction - the higher priced ones are usually built to higher quality
standards.

The great value in jointers seemto be the around: Sunhill, Yorkcraft and
Grizzly.

Believe me I *know* what it's like to be on a budget - but the Jointer will
become a critical piece of machinery in your shop. And they do a good job of
holding their value. Don't go too cheap here. I managed to find a great
deal on the Jet 6" model and I find myself turning it on all of the time
now...

Mike in Idaho

You didn't list the Sunhill ($400 with shipping). I absolutely love mine.
It has the single welded base (more sturdy less vibration) and handwheels --
easy to nudge them ever so slightly to get the outfeed table to be at the
right height relative to the blades (I've heard that can be difficult on the
lever type models, but I've never tried it...). Replacement knives were
CHEAP -- $20 for 3. I ordered a second set for when I get my main ones
sharpened (~$13).

My 2 cents...

[...]

Bridger

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:17:23 GMT, "mttt"
wrote:

[...]

if value is your consideration shop for older american made machinery.
for about the price of a new 6" taiwanese jointer I got an 8" jointer
made in the USofA in the early 70's.
Bridger
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:10:47 GMT, Chuck
wrote:

How about the Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer (JP0610) at the BORG? Last I
checked, it was around $329. I like mine.

As do I.

It does what I need it to do , for near Grizzly price, and I was able
to finger it before purchase.

Barry
Toller

"Chuck" wrote in message
How about the Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer (JP0610) at the BORG? Last I
checked, it was around $329. I like mine.

I just looked at the Ridgid. It was $399.
The dust chute has a bunch of openings in it, so i wouldn't expect a DC to
be particularly effective. What have you found?

Brian

"Mike in Idaho" wrote in message ...
You didn't list the Sunhill ($400 with shipping). I absolutely love mine.
It has the single welded base (more sturdy less vibration) and handwheels --
easy to nudge them ever so slightly to get the outfeed table to be at the
right height relative to the blades (I've heard that can be difficult on the
lever type models, but I've never tried it...). Replacement knives were
CHEAP -- $20 for 3. I ordered a second set for when I get my main ones
sharpened (~$13).

My 2 cents...

I ordered a Sunhill in early December. It has been on backorder ever
since. They keep telling me "next week" and at this point I think
they're just dicking me around. I'm about ready to cancel the order.
We'll see. I'll probably hang in there for another week or two and
then look elsewhere.

Brian.
avthokie

The great value in jointers seemto be the around: Sunhill, Yorkcraft and
Grizzly.

My Yorkcraft was delivered about two weeks ago and I have only cut ~24
feet of board, but so far I like it. It was ~$350 delivered.

Toller

"Tony" wrote in message
I've had my Yorkcraft for about a year, Have never had a problem. Mine

was
$299 + $82 for delivery......

Tony
avthokie wrote in message
m...

The great value in jointers seemto be the around: Sunhill, Yorkcraft

and
Grizzly.

My Yorkcraft was delivered about two weeks ago and I have only cut ~24
feet of board, but so far I like it. It was ~$350 delivered.

How effective is the DC port? Some have so many openings that you don't get
much of any suction. How about the Yorkcraft?

Tony

Hi, I don't have a dust collector, I let it fall on the floor and sweep and
vacuum it up. The Jointer is VERY similar to the Delta 6" pro jointer,
looks the same, except for color and switch location. The dust chute is a
square port, seems to be well sealed and it comes with a plastic 4" dust
port that you can attach a hose to.

Tony
Toller wrote in message
news

"Tony" wrote in message
I've had my Yorkcraft for about a year, Have never had a problem. Mine

was
$299 + $82 for delivery......

Tony
avthokie wrote in message
m...

The great value in jointers seemto be the around: Sunhill, Yorkcraft

and
Grizzly.

My Yorkcraft was delivered about two weeks ago and I have only cut ~24
feet of board, but so far I like it. It was ~$350 delivered.

How effective is the DC port? Some have so many openings that you don't

get
much of any suction. How about the Yorkcraft?

I just posted a 6" sears craftsman jointer / plainer for 300.00 .
but i ami north east michigan. very little use . sells for 589.99 new

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:26:14 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just looked at the Ridgid. It was $399.
The dust chute has a bunch of openings in it, so i wouldn't expect a DC to
be particularly effective. What have you found?

My Ridgid has a few screw holes in the dust chute. They don't seem to
affect the chip removal at all.

Barry

Brian Mahaney

Brian wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't think they are dicking you around. The same thing happened to me
last year. It's just that they wait for the next shipment and sell them all
before they even arrive (that's my impression). I imagine that's one way
they keep the cost so low and the quality good. I love mine. It was worth
the wait.

Brian

James T. Kirby

If you have seen the Delta and like it, look up the Yorkcraft at Wilke
Machinery. I have one, and like it. sells for 299 + shipping.

Jim Kirby

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

NoNameAtAll

If you have seen the Delta and like it, look up the Yorkcraft at Wilke
Machinery. I have one, and like it. sells for 299 + shipping.

Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately Wilke charges over $100 for shipping, so
that rules them out. I'm only halfway across the country from them, so I can't
imagine what it must cost to ship something all the way to the east coast.
Edwin Pawlowski

"NoNameAtAll" wrote in message
If you have seen the Delta and like it, look up the Yorkcraft at Wilke
Machinery. I have one, and like it. sells for 299 + shipping.

Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately Wilke charges over $100 for

shipping, so
that rules them out. I'm only halfway across the country from them, so I

can't
imagine what it must cost to ship something all the way to the east coast.

They have had "sales" on shipping at times. But, 299 + 100 = 399. Delta
is 549
Ed

Anonymoose

"Tony" wrote in
:

Hi, I live in Knoxville, TN, shipping from the warehouse in PA to here
was $82.

That's odd...I live half that distance (Manassas, VA) from them and it cost
me $88! I bought the Bridgewood, but I can't imagine it making that much
diff.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Anonymoose" Ihatespam wrote in message
"Tony" wrote in
:

Hi, I live in Knoxville, TN, shipping from the warehouse in PA to here
was $82.

That's odd...I live half that distance (Manassas, VA) from them and it

cost
me $88! I bought the Bridgewood, but I can't imagine it making that much
diff.

Many of these companies will deliver anywhere for a set price. See Grizzly
for examples of "anywhere in the country for $XX". Wilke does the same
thing from what I know.
Ed

NoNameAtAll

Many of these companies will deliver anywhere for a set price. See Grizzly
for examples of "anywhere in the country for $XX". Wilke does the same
thing from what I know.

You're right about Grizzly, but I don't think Wilke does it that way. I had to
tell them my ZIP code. Then they came back a few moments later with a shipping
price that was more than $100. People from around the country have reported
several different shipping rates from Wilke.

Mounted biscuit jointer JR Woodworking 3 December 7th 03 06:55 PM
Jointer Safety Help Mark Jerde Woodworking 34 October 21st 03 06:20 PM
jointer question Blake McCully Woodworking 9 August 21st 03 03:47 AM