Blake McCully

Default jointer question

I'm very new to woodworking. I've been scrolling for a little over a year.
I know what a planer does and how to use it, but I've never really known
what a "jointer" did. I thought it was something like a biscuit cutter or
something. Last nite I was reading a book and the writer was describing
that you needed to run your wood through a planer (know what that is) then a
jointer to make snug joins. Well, I had an epiphany!! A jointer does the
same thing that a planer does, except it does it on the edges rather than
the face.

Well, I thought that I could use something like that, cause let's face it,
scrolling a long straight line leaves something to be desired. I usually
try to straighten out the edges on my belt sander, but that doesn't work too
well, especially if the piece is too long to use the disk side.

OK, here's the question, thanks for your patience. If I am scrolling the
sides of a box, let's say, and I want to run the finished pieces through a
jointer, will I be successful if neither edge is "machined". Geez, I'm not
sure I'm making sense. Anyway, I cut out the top and the bottom edge of a
box. They both turn out to be sorta wavy, if I put them through a jointer,
will that work?

Yeow, anyway, please send me an answer to removing the
nospam first.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Blake

Edwin Pawlowski

"Blake McCully" wrote in message
Well, I had an epiphany!! A jointer does the
same thing that a planer does, except it does it on the edges rather than
the face.

Sort of. It will do one edge and one face. The yo can use your table saw
for the other edge and the planer for the other face to get them both
parallel. Using a planer only, it is possible to get both faces flat, but
not parallel to each other.

Do a google search and you will find detail discussion of the purpose of
both tools.

OK, here's the question, thanks for your patience. If I am scrolling the
sides of a box, let's say, and I want to run the finished pieces through a
jointer, will I be successful if neither edge is "machined". Geez, I'm

not
sure I'm making sense. Anyway, I cut out the top and the bottom edge of a
box. They both turn out to be sorta wavy, if I put them through a

jointer,
will that work?

You want to run the finished box over the jointer? If it is narrow (less
than the width of the jointer), it may work, but I defer that question to to
others with more experience.

, please send me an answer to removing the
nospam first.

Nah, that's a PITA to do. Read it here.
Ed

CW

Main Entry: 1par·al·lel
Pronunciation: 'par-&-"lel, -l&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin parallelus, from Greek parallElos, from para beside +
allElOn of one another, from allos... allos one... another, from allos
other -- more at ELSE
Date: 1549
1 a : extending in the same direction, everywhere equidistant, and not
meeting parallel rows of trees

Now what part parallel doesn't a planer do?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

Using a planer only, it is possible to get both faces flat, but
not parallel to each other.

Attached Images

Bay Area Dave

rather than reinvent the wheel, do a Google on this beaten to death
subject, CW. A planer is not going to guarantee parallel surfaces. I'm
too lazy to explain to you why.

dave

Date: 1549
1 a : extending in the same direction, everywhere equidistant, and not
meeting parallel rows of trees

Now what part parallel doesn't a planer do?

Damn, I wish I had a dicshurery like urs.

But know that we know what parallel means, we can easily figure out how a
planer will not easily make a parallel surface when you start out with a
warped board.

Thanks for the tip. It is truly appreciated.
Ed

Tomeshew

Don't run the box across the jointer, as it's meant to run with the grain only,
and likewise for the planer. You may have more excitement than you're willing
to absorb..Tom Blake wrote:OK,
here's the question, thanks for your patience. If I am scrolling the
sides of a box, let's say, and I want to run the finished pieces through a
jointer, will I be successful if neither edge is "machined". Geez, I'm not
sure I'm making sense. Anyway, I cut out the top and the bottom edge of a
box. They both turn out to be sorta wavy, if I put them through a jointer,
will that work?

Yeow, anyway, please send me an answer to removing the
nospam first.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Blake

Mike G

Steps for truing stock.

Absolutely necessary. A flat face to work from.

Joint (make flat and straight) one face (reference face) so you have
something to true (reference) the remaining three sides to. Not to be done
on a planer because the feed rollers will push out any warp and it will
reappear as the stock exits the planer. For the same reason use very little
down force when jointing.

Joint one edge with the reference face against the jointers fence. This will
give you a straight edge that is at 90 degrees to the reference face. Also
an edge to reference the next edge.,

Rip a second edge on the table saw with the reference face against the table
and the reference edge against the fence. Try to do it on the jointer and it
will give you a straight edge but not one necessarily parallel to the first
edge.

Now you can plane the piece to a proper thickness with the reference face
flat down on the planers feed table. Since the reference face is flat the
planer has no warp to press out so the face being planed will be not only be
flat but parallel to the reference face.

The jointer performs the two most critical steps in the process (the
reference face and edge) but, with sufficient dicking around, there are work
arounds. but, without the dicking around, the planer will not perform the
functions of a jointer and the jointer will not perform the functions of a
planer.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
[...]

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:46:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
pixelated:

"CW" wrote in message
Now what part parallel doesn't a planer do?

Damn, I wish I had a dicshurery like urs.

But know that we know what parallel means, we can easily figure out how a
planer will not easily make a parallel surface when you start out with a
warped board.

Hey, Clinton's allowed to be right occasionally. That
warped board will be parallel between the faces. What
you meant is that it may not be -flat-.

Turn in your slide rule, son.

- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? -
http://diversify.com Full Service Web Application Programming