John McCoy

Default Which 6" jointer?

ntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in
:

I have settled on getting a jointer next and I'm looking for some
advice on which one to get. I've ruled out the 8" models because
they're just too expensive. With regard to 6" models, the ones in my
price range that I've been able to identify are the following:

snip list

Well, the most important feature in a jointer is the length
of the table (plus it's flatness, of course). Second most
important is the length of the fence, I'd say. But I suspect
all jointers in the class you're looking at are the same in
those respects.

So you pretty much come down to convenience features (handwheels
versus levers, etc) and the makers reputation for a quality
product. Delta & Jet lead Grizzly in that regard, while Grizzly
in turn is a long way ahead of Harbor Freight.

My personal preference is for a closed stand model, and for
handwheels rather than levers. So I'd be attracted to the
Grizzly models(*) (not that I can figure out the difference
between them, all the G1182 varients look the same to me).

John

(* were I in your situation. I actually have a Jet)