Ba r r y

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:14:09 GMT, "Roger M." wrote:

A simple thanks to those who gave me wise-ass comments

You're very welcome.

Barry
GregP

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:55:15 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"GregP" wrote in message

Each new generation is a reflection of the one that raised it.

Maybe before the Gutenberg Press ... but mass media and instant
communication are distorting that "reflection" with increasing speed since.

Makes you wonder what reflection the "eParenting" generation will cast.

If that is truly your attitude towards raising your children (and
if you do have children, I suspect that it's not), then you have
abrogated your responsibilities. Each generation has had
cause to blame things beyond their control.
GregP

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:48:29 -0600, "Doug Brown"
wrote:

probably true but I fear there was precious little "raising" done by most
our my/our contemporaries. Too few people know or understand that "parent"
is both a noun and verb.

We hire a good number of people straight out of school.
Most of them do not reflect your view. The ratio is at least
as good as it was 20 years ago.
Swingman

"GregP" wrote in message

Each new generation is a reflection of the one that raised it.

Maybe before the Gutenberg Press ... but mass media and instant
communication are distorting that "reflection" with increasing speed

since.

Makes you wonder what reflection the "eParenting" generation will cast.

If that is truly your attitude towards raising your children (and
if you do have children, I suspect that it's not), then you have
abrogated your responsibilities. Each generation has had
cause to blame things beyond their control.

Can I buy some of whatever it is you're taking?

Where/how the hell do you get that is "your attitude towards raising your
children" from my above reply??

Or is it "a reflection of the way you were raised" that would cause such a
convoluted, way-out-in-left-field interpretation?

Sheeesh!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

GregP

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:21:32 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Can I buy some of whatever it is you're taking?

Too much work to do thru the holidays...you can have
as much of it as you want :-)

Where/how the hell do you get that is "your attitude towards raising your
children" from my above reply??

Or is it "a reflection of the way you were raised" that would cause such a
convoluted, way-out-in-left-field interpretation?

Well, it sounded like the complaint you see all of the time
that the media is corrupting our youth. If they have been
instilled with decent values, that is not anywhere near as
likely to happen than if they weren't. YMMV. But if that's
not where you were going, I apologize.

Swingman

"GregP" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:21:32 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Can I buy some of whatever it is you're taking?

Too much work to do thru the holidays...you can have
as much of it as you want :-)

Where/how the hell do you get that is "your attitude towards raising your
children" from my above reply??

Or is it "a reflection of the way you were raised" that would cause such

convoluted, way-out-in-left-field interpretation?

Well, it sounded like the complaint you see all of the time
that the media is corrupting our youth. If they have been
instilled with decent values, that is not anywhere near as
likely to happen than if they weren't. YMMV. But if that's
not where you were going, I apologize.

If that is what you meant, I apologize also ... didn't look like it, but I
certainly agree with what you say above.

I've almost finished raising two ... if you ever do "finish" that job, that
is. A good example of the media's "influence" is the recent outcry about
Abercrombie & Fitch and their catalog aimed at the teen market a year or so
back. My youngest, 19 now, while she didn't fall for it, had lot's of
friends who did ... or parents who didn't care, or notice, or who ignored
it.

That's not to say that I did not feel that I had to "refresh" her training a
bit on the matter, so we had a discussion about what I felt was "wrong" with
pitching sex to young teens in advertisements.

I also reinforced, at the time, that she could spend her own money where she
wished, but that _my_ money was not going to be spent supporting the type of
thinking and values that company portrayed in their advertisements ... and I
that I would be disappointed if she did not feel the same way.

As far as I know, she has never been back to A & F.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04