Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Have British Gas (BG) recommended a good heating system for me.

BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed system
as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in loft.
Recommended a British Gas 330 boiler which I think might be Glow Worm
HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a mansion!).

BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

We are changing the system for two reasons. Firstly people seem to be
against hot air heating and we are worried about future resale
(especially with the new seller packs and all that). Secondly we want
to add an extension and it is not easy to extend the hot air system (so
Johnson & Starley say). BG salesman said the boiler would take another
three radiators ok.

The sales man said that the engineers would make good all the floor
boards that they take up - the small print says that it is the
customers responsibility to make good!

I am sorry for all the waffle but really would appreciate views from
those that knows - many many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HelpDiy wrote:
[...]

Search the archives, for british gas, then run away a mile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:33:59 UTC, "HelpDiy"
wrote:

BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good).

I can't comment on the boiler, but please get some other quotes as well.
BG are notorious for being expensive and also for not adapting their
'standard' systems to teh benefit of the customer. Remember, they are no
longer the 'gas board' and subcontract the work anyway.

We had a BG quote last year for replacement boiler and a few other
things. In my opinion they mis-sized the boiler (all the other quotes
got it right) and I think this may have been because they would have had
to upgrade some extra gas piping.

Their quote was £3875 (but with a 'discount' for no apparent reason)
which made it £3275. Two other quotes were £1948 and £1880 (the latter
for slightly less work). I took the £1948, the work was done at once,
and the standard was very high. My experience of BG in the past has
sometimes been quite bad.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"HelpDiy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Vastly overpriced. I bet it was a sales person on commission trying to flog
you that. I bet he offered finance too. What they will do is charge you
about 3 times too much and get a subcontractor in instead.
Look elsewhere unless you have made a decision to be ripped off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"HelpDiy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

First of all you need to get a couple more quotes and then look at the
numbers. Almost certainly BG will be significantly more expensive. Be
aware that just because BG has quoted doen't mean "BG" will install, almost
certainly a subcontractor. One thing I notice at least they have quoted a
hot water cylinder. Others may quote a combi which is intrinsically
cheaper. Make sure you understand the limitations of a combi system,
especially with poor mains water flow.

Installation is not straightforward in a furnished house. Make sure the
responsibilities for moving furniture, lifting and relaying carpets, the
location of radiators and the routing of pipework to radiator is clearly
spelled out in any contract. I think that is as important as the numbers.
I would also suggest not going for a rebadged boiler such as BG has
suggested. Chose a known brand and pencil in the same manufacturers
maintenance contract in your budget. Your local plumbers merchants will be
able to tell you what brand of boiler local installers are (currently)
favouring.

The proposed BG spec seems "OK" as a starting point. Get a towel rail
catalogue from the plumbers merchants and decide how space you require to
hang your towels. The 6ft one will be bl**dy expensive.

HTH

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
HelpDiy writes
BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed system
as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in loft.
Recommended a British Gas 330 boiler which I think might be Glow Worm
HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a mansion!).

BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

SEVEN THOUSAND AND HOW MUCH???

So why haven't you gone to other people for a quote ?

Have you never heard the bad press about BG ?

does that answer your question ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the responses. In answer to the last post SEVEN THOUSAND AND HOW
MUCH. I only got this quote today and I certainly won't be handing over my
dosh to BG. Going to get further quotes next week.

I think the BG salesman realised he was on to a loser when my wife passed
out and fell off the chair. I had of course asked her to do this as part of
my negotiating tactics but as it turned out she didn't have to fake it so to
speak!

"HelpDiy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:18:51 UTC, "NewDiy"
wrote:

I think the BG salesman realised he was on to a loser when my wife passed
out and fell off the chair. I had of course asked her to do this as part of
my negotiating tactics but as it turned out she didn't have to fake it so to
speak!

Ours realised that before he came in the door. I told him he was one of
five people quoting, and that he had half an hour. At this point he said
"Oh, you have to go out?" I said: "No, you've just got half an hour". I
really only got him in to have fun and find out if what I had heard was
true!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-13 23:20:57 +0000, "Bob Eager" said:

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:18:51 UTC, "NewDiy" wrote:

I think the BG salesman realised he was on to a loser when my wife
passed out and fell off the chair. I had of course asked her to do this
as part of my negotiating tactics but as it turned out she didn't have
to fake it so to speak!

Ours realised that before he came in the door. I told him he was one of
five people quoting, and that he had half an hour. At this point he said
"Oh, you have to go out?" I said: "No, you've just got half an hour".

Nice.

I really only got him in to have fun and find out if what I had heard was true!

Cruel but he should have qualified you first by suggesting how long the
meeting might take and getting your agreement to that when arranging
the appointment.

To top it off, he demonstrates an assumption of getting your business,
or at least being in pole position for it by thinking that the only
reason that the meeting would be shorter than would suit him is because
you were going out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

I think the BG salesman realised he was on to a loser when my wife passed
out and fell off the chair. I had of course asked her to do this as part of
my negotiating tactics but as it turned out she didn't have to fake it so to
speak!

Ours realised that before he came in the door. I told him he was one of
five people quoting, and that he had half an hour. At this point he said
"Oh, you have to go out?" I said: "No, you've just got half an hour". I
really only got him in to have fun and find out if what I had heard was
true!

I'm still annoyed that I was too lazy to get BG in for a quote with my
camcorder running and the new boiler outside the back door

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"HelpDiy" wrote:
BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

If I were you I would get 3 more quotes and not use BG at all. If that
system is OK a local firm will do it cheaper, which is what BG will do and
take at least 2 grand for their commission. Also visit
http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/h...quotations.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I feel I must preak up in support of British Gas here.

I've used them twice in Oxfordshire and found them helpfull,
knowledgeable and competetive. Their work was carried out when they
said and to a high standard. The fitters were helpfull and worked hard.
I priced them against other suppliers and they came out best on both
occasions.
I must admit I was surprised by this having heard the tales but now I
would use them again willingly (after competetively pricing again of
course).

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I feel I must speak up in support of British Gas here.

I've used them twice to replace CH boilers here in Oxfordshire. On both
occasions they gave the best price. Their staff were knowledgeable and
helpfull. The installers arrived on time and worked hard. All in all
they did a good job and I find it difficult to fault them.
When I told the fitter who replaced my own boiler that I was intending
to fit a gass range cooker, he oversized the gas pipe to allow for it
in future. Really good service.

Don't let a few bad cases spoil the whole large organisation. Like all
such companies, BG are only as good as their staff and these will vary
across the country. Of course, their good work rarely gets publicised.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oops
Sorry for the double post.
My mistake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NewDiy" wrote in message
Thanks for the responses. In answer to the last post SEVEN THOUSAND AND
HOW MUCH. I only got this quote today and I certainly won't be handing
over my dosh to BG. Going to get further quotes next week.

I think the BG salesman realised he was on to a loser when my wife passed
out and fell off the chair. I had of course asked her to do this as part
of my negotiating tactics but as it turned out she didn't have to fake it
so to speak!

Hello Sado!

Sylvain.

snip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HelpDiy wrote:
BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed
system as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in
loft. Recommended a British Gas 330 boiler which I think might be
Glow Worm HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a
mansion!).

If it's a 70's house,the mains pressure should be fine, he's ripping the
p!$$.

BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

not bad, only overpriced by about five grand.

We are changing the system for two reasons. Firstly people seem to be
against hot air heating and we are worried about future resale
(especially with the new seller packs and all that). Secondly we want
to add an extension and it is not easy to extend the hot air system
(so Johnson & Starley say). BG salesman said the boiler would take
another three radiators ok.

He's bound to say this.

The sales man said that the engineers would make good all the floor
boards that they take up - the small print says that it is the
customers responsibility to make good!

He's bound to say this.

I am sorry for all the waffle but really would appreciate views from
those that knows - many many thanks.

BG contract their work out to other installers, so you may as well cut out
the middleman and get a different installer from the start....there's one
around here that does a new condensing Glow worm boiler and 6 rads with
TRV's fitted in one day for £1800 + vat...you should be looking at about
2.5k approx.
http://www.bartonsheatingcontracts.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
HelpDiy wrote:
BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed
system as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in
loft. Recommended a British Gas 330 boiler which I think might be
Glow Worm HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a
mansion!).

If it's a 70's house,the mains pressure should be fine, he's ripping the
p!$$.

Pressure and flow rate are very different. My house was built in
60's/70's (not too sure exactly which). The mains pressure is fine but
our flow rate is quite low. It's on my list of things to investigate so
not too sure why yet.

BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

not bad, only overpriced by about five grand.

It depends on the amount of work involved. It sounds rather high at
first sight but the only way to check is to get real quotes.

We are changing the system for two reasons. Firstly people seem to be
against hot air heating and we are worried about future resale
(especially with the new seller packs and all that). Secondly we want
to add an extension and it is not easy to extend the hot air system
(so Johnson & Starley say). BG salesman said the boiler would take
another three radiators ok.

He's bound to say this.

Extending a hot air system isn't easy. Ducts are bigger and more
difficult to install than pipes.
If the salesman says a boiler will run the extra radiators, he's
working from tables based on maufacturers data and typical heat losses
for houses of that age.

The sales man said that the engineers would make good all the floor
boards that they take up - the small print says that it is the
customers responsibility to make good!

He's bound to say this.

I would certainly get this confirmed in writing. It's a normal
exclusion since some removals may not be reversible.

Those are normally extras.

I am sorry for all the waffle but really would appreciate views from
those that knows - many many thanks.

BG contract their work out to other installers, so you may as well cut out
the middleman and get a different installer from the start....there's one
around here that does a new condensing Glow worm boiler and 6 rads with
TRV's fitted in one day for £1800 + vat...you should be looking at about
2.5k approx.
http://www.bartonsheatingcontracts.co.uk/

When I had my boiler changed, the fitter was a BG employee.
I would be wary of prices such as these. If they are so good, why does
the customer have to contact them for a quote? They are frequently
unrealistically low designed to attract interest. How many jobs have
they done for that price? Again, the only way to compare prices is to
get multiple quotes for exactly the same work.

I've just noticed the type of boiler the O/P is suggesting. FWIW, we've
had one of those and it's broken every year for three years. PC board
failed, valve block split and PC board fuse blew.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:33:59 -0800, HelpDiy wrote:

[...]

Have a look through the BoilerChoice FAQ.

Measure or get measured the mains water pressure. You almost certainly
have enough pressure for a sealed primary system (see FAQ), which is not
the same as an unvented hot water system (which most houses don't have a
good enough supply for).

I think many independents would _probably_ charge you no more than £5000
and possible somewhat less. Making good included.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:05:30 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:33:59 -0800, HelpDiy wrote:

BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed system
as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in loft.
Recommended a British Gas 330 boiler which I think might be Glow Worm
HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a mansion!).

BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

The price is a bit scary IMHO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NewDiy wrote:

I am sorry for all the waffle but really would appreciate views from
those that knows.

Are you the OP?

Get a quote for a couple of en suites if you are thinking of selling.
It's daft to consider replumbing the house without thinking about a
valuable upgrade like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:33:59 -0800, HelpDiy wrote:

BG have quoted to replace hot airheatingsystem with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed system
as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in loft.
Recommended aBritishGas330 boiler which I think might be Glow Worm
HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a mansion!).

BG quoted £7100 forBritishGas330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

The price is a bit scary IMHO- Hide quoted text -

im amazed at how many "experts" knock british gas quotes when they
havent seen the actual contents of the quote,
a few pointers.. direct labour can be specified by the customer... the
quote will include free home care... the 330 boiler has substantial
upgrades.. vat is included because british gas cant "do a discount for
cash" and then forget to declare the vat.the radiators have extended
warranty. the engineers wont **** in your water tanks (ever see
watchdog ?).. the boilers that are supplied have a parts availability
guarantee.. the engineers wont suddenly disappear half way through
the job or once they have your cash. ive seen british gas
jobs completed and ive seen independent jobs completed. enough said.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

im amazed at how many "experts" knock british gas quotes when they
havent seen the actual contents of the quote,
a few pointers.. direct labour can be specified by the customer... the
quote will include free home care... the 330 boiler has substantial
upgrades.. vat is included because british gas cant "do a discount for
cash" and then forget to declare the vat.the radiators have extended
warranty. the engineers wont **** in your water tanks (ever see
watchdog ?).. the boilers that are supplied have a parts availability
guarantee.. the engineers wont suddenly disappear half way through
the job or once they have your cash. ive seen british gas
jobs completed and ive seen independent jobs completed. enough said.

Is this the same british gas that installed a new gas meter in my mums house
a few years ago, resulting in the house filling with gas? - the nut's were
not even finger tight, how the house didn't end up several hundred feet away
i do not know, the transco chaps who came out at midnight said that the
connecting nuts were the wrong size, so instead of the BG bloke doing
something about it at the time (early morning), he just went home and left
it.

or is it the same british gas that charge £300 per year for ch cover
(included as you mention above, even though it's not specifically requested)
and then refuse to do any work on the system once it reaches a few years
old?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HelpDiy wrote:
[...]

I would have absolutely nothing to do with BG if I were you. The
latest advert is a remarkable case of spin doctoring any useful
information out of the ad. You can get them to do a job for you if you
are not insured with them or so you'd think.

But in reality, they pass the work on to a bunch of ******* and when
the ******* don't turn up, who you gonna call?

If it's British Gas they will fob you off with ****. And there is
nothing worse than some call centre arsehole banditing any bridge
between you and the ******* you wish to strangle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
wrote:
im amazed at how many "experts" knock british gas quotes when they
havent seen the actual contents of the quote,
a few pointers.. direct labour can be specified by the customer... the
quote will include free home care... the 330 boiler has substantial
upgrades.. vat is included because british gas cant "do a discount for
cash" and then forget to declare the vat.the radiators have extended
warranty. the engineers wont **** in your water tanks (ever see
watchdog ?).. the boilers that are supplied have a parts availability
guarantee.. the engineers wont suddenly disappear half way through
the job or once they have your cash. ive seen british gas
jobs completed and ive seen independent jobs completed. enough said.

It's good to see someone being loyal to their company no matter how
misguided they are in fact.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Feb, 15:15, "Phil L" wrote:

[...]

no its not, transco change meters not british gas. boiler care is not
£300 per year its £14 per month. for £ 300 you get plumbing drainage
AND central heating care AND electrical cover (parts and labour
included)... refuse to do any work ! , now thats not true and you
know it. and as for your comment about homecare being included but not
requested, let me ask you this, if you bought a car and they gave you
a free 10000 mile service that you did not ask for....... would you
complain????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 5 Feb, 15:15, "Phil L" wrote:

[...]

It's not free, it's worked into the price.
and in any case, where do you think transco sprang up from? - they just
split the company down the middle and named the donkey work side of it
'transco', same people, different overalls.
And i know people who have paid into this scheme since boiler was new and BG
refuse to repair anything over a few years old, with the old line, 'this
boiler's not up to today's standards luv, but i can get you a quote for a
new one', which is usually a few grand, needless to say, the customers
cancel their cover, ring a competent plumber who repairs it for ninety quid
and they continue getting HW & CH for many years, but by this time, BG have
ripped them for hundreds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 19:22, "Phil L" wrote:
wrote:
On 5 Feb, 15:15, "Phil L" wrote:

[...]

ripped them for hundreds- Hide quoted text -

so you know "some" people who may have had that happen, is that a fair
representation of the entire customer base of british gas ??. i know
"some" people who have boilers that are 15yrs old and still being
repaired by british gas so that kind of negates your argument.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm not in the trade, but personally know of three people who were
told - falsely - that their boiler was too old to get spares for while
being under one of their service contracts.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 00:01:22 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Well, I'm not in the trade, but personally know of three people who were
told - falsely - that their boiler was too old to get spares for while
being under one of their service contracts.

And I know of one...me.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well, I'm not in the trade, but personally know of three people who were
told - falsely - that their boiler was too old to get spares for while
being under one of their service contracts.

And I know of one...me.

Me too, when I had a Thorn Olympic boiler a few years ago.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well, I'm not in the trade, but personally know of three people who
were told - falsely - that their boiler was too old to get spares
for while being under one of their service contracts.

And I know of one...me.

Me too, when I had a Thorn Olympic boiler a few years ago.

So hardly a rare occurrence. Perhaps Mr Bates would pass it on to his
management for comment.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 09:30, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

wrote:

Well, I'm not in the trade, but personally know of three people who
were told - falsely - that their boiler was too old to get spares
for while being under one of their service contracts.

And I know of one...me.

Me too, when I had a Thorn Olympic boiler a few years ago.

So hardly a rare occurrence. Perhaps Mr Bates would pass it on to his
management for comment.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

certainly will , although i work for trading standards not british gas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well, I'm not in the trade, but personally know of three people who
were told - falsely - that their boiler was too old to get spares
for while being under one of their service contracts.

And I know of one...me.
Me too, when I had a Thorn Olympic boiler a few years ago.

So hardly a rare occurrence. Perhaps Mr Bates would pass it on to his
management for comment.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

certainly will , although i work for trading standards not british gas.

It is possible as I see it that you are seeing the worst of the nonBG gas
fitters as part of your work. This may give you a skewed view.

Likewise I'm seeing the customers who are displeased with BG and have come
looking for an alternative so I may also be getting a differently skewed
view.