Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Have British Gas (BG) recommended a good heating system for me.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:33:59 -0800, HelpDiy wrote:

BG have quoted to replace hot air heating system with a wet system and
I really would be grateful for opinions on whether it sounds a good
system (is the boiler any good). They said could not have sealed system
as mains water pipe is too small and so need header tank in loft.
Recommended a British Gas 330 boiler which I think might be Glow Worm
HXi. Our house is a 4 bed 70's style detached (its not a mansion!).

BG quoted £7100 for British Gas 330 boiler (condensing), 10 radiators
and a towel rail (6ft towel rail sounded a bit excessive in our small
bathroom!), new water cylinder, radio controlled thermostat in hall,
thermostat on each radiator except the hall one, digital controller
box.

We are changing the system for two reasons. Firstly people seem to be
against hot air heating and we are worried about future resale
(especially with the new seller packs and all that). Secondly we want
to add an extension and it is not easy to extend the hot air system (so
Johnson & Starley say). BG salesman said the boiler would take another
three radiators ok.

The sales man said that the engineers would make good all the floor
boards that they take up - the small print says that it is the
customers responsibility to make good!

I am sorry for all the waffle but really would appreciate views from
those that knows - many many thanks.

Have a look through the BoilerChoice FAQ.

Measure or get measured the mains water pressure. You almost certainly
have enough pressure for a sealed primary system (see FAQ), which is not
the same as an unvented hot water system (which most houses don't have a
good enough supply for).

I think many independents would _probably_ charge you no more than £5000
and possible somewhat less. Making good included.