Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gradual failure of gas grill regulator

I have a Weber Genesis Silver propane grill thats about 15 years old.
Its kept outside, but with a fabric cover when not in use.

Over the last year or two, it started running hotter and hotter, building
gradual, slowly enough that I was just pulled along. Things would come out
overcooked, and I would adjust the time and flame setting to compensate. It
recently got to the point that turning flame control knobs had little effect
- it was always way hotter than set. At which point I realized that something
had to be wrong.

Well, grills are pretty simple:

Propane? Tank 3/4 full, and running out doesnt usually cause it to run hot
anyway.

Flame height valves? All three do the same thing, they are made of solid
brass, and they all feel the same, and feel OK. Unlikely.

Burners? Nah.

Hmm. Only the gas pressure regulator is left, and this gradual rise in
temperature despite the valve settings could be explained if the output
pressure were to rise gradually as the regulator wore out.

Well, I had bought a new regulator a few years ago while I was having
spider-mite problems, and that regulator had been in inventory ever since.
Installed the new regulator.

Bingo! Temperatures returned to normal, flame controls now control the flame
height, and my cooking improved overnight.

The moral of the story is that regulators can wear out, giving trouble long
before they just fail. Im guessing that regulators should be replaced at
ten years.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a similar problem, the flame would start out very small but
increase as the grill heated. Changed the regulator and everything
became fine.

The old one was full of crud and oxidation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 21:44:30 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

[...]

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

--
GIFT CERTIFICATE:
From the office of Jack Kevorkian, M.D.
From:Me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 2016, Ignoramus27222 wrote
(in ):

I had a similar problem, the flame would start out very small but
increase as the grill heated. Changed the regulator and everything
became fine.

The old one was full of crud and oxidation.

I didnt notice an increase while heating, but I would start the grill and
come back in 10 to 15 minutes, so I would not have necessarily seen any
increase. But accumulation of crud and oxidation is certainly plausible.

I will cut the regulator apart and inspect the innards.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 10:00:53 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

On Sep 1, 2016, Ignoramus27222 wrote
(in ):

I had a similar problem, the flame would start out very small but
increase as the grill heated. Changed the regulator and everything
became fine.

The old one was full of crud and oxidation.

I didn’t notice an increase while heating, but I would start the grill and
come back in 10 to 15 minutes, so I would not have necessarily seen any
increase. But accumulation of crud and oxidation is certainly plausible.

I will cut the regulator apart and inspect the innards.

Joe Gwinn

Ill bet you find a hole or leak in the diaphram.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 2, 2016, Gunner Asch wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Sep 1, 2016, Ignoramus27222 wrote
(in ):

I had a similar problem, the flame would start out very small but
increase as the grill heated. Changed the regulator and everything
became fine.

The old one was full of crud and oxidation.

I didnt notice an increase while heating, but I would start the grill and
come back in 10 to 15 minutes, so I would not have necessarily seen any
increase. But accumulation of crud and oxidation is certainly plausible.

I will cut the regulator apart and inspect the innards.

Joe Gwinn

Ill bet you find a hole or leak in the diaphram.

Could be. Ill look.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook
it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

In January we do it to keep warm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook
it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

In January we do it to keep warm.

It keeps me out of the rain here.

--
GIFT CERTIFICATE:
From the office of Jack Kevorkian, M.D.
From:Me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 3 Sep 2016
03:12:07 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook
it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

In January we do it to keep warm.

I might believe it, if you had said that it was to keep your snacks
closer. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook
it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

In January we do it to keep warm.

It keeps me out of the rain here.

Why? You're always wet, anyway. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 3 Sep 2016
13:50:10 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

He had to replace the tires?
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

He had to replace the tires?

No, he's just retreaded. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop
models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin
roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys,
cook
it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

In January we do it to keep warm.

I might believe it, if you had said that it was to keep your
snacks closer. ;-)

Without even bringing this customized armless swivel recliner upright
I just turned and grabbed a slice of honey ham from the fridge.

After our usual arctic January and February the temperature of a
fridge is beach weather. As a kid I went swimming in the 40F North
Atlantic.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/1/2016 9:44 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a Weber Genesis Silver propane grill thats about 15 years old.
Its kept outside, but with a fabric cover when not in use.

I replaced the regulator on my Weber "Silver A" because I couldn't get
enough heat for a char. I replaced it with a 0-10psi model that does
exactly as expected excepts sounds like a jet engine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 03:12:07 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Ehh, it's a Westinghouse!

No one else remembers?

--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Ehh, it's a Westinghouse!

No one else remembers?

The penguin asked why he was in the fridge?

"I'm westing!"

And I'm trying to remember how old I was when I first heard
that. Not very. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook
it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

In January we do it to keep warm.

It keeps me out of the rain here.

Why? You're always wet, anyway. ;-)

All washed up, y'mean? I mean, I'm retar...um, retired.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

I ain't no chillun. I's all growed up.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 20:08:52 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 9/1/2016 9:44 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a Weber Genesis Silver propane grill that’s about 15 years old.
It’s kept outside, but with a fabric cover when not in use.

I replaced the regulator on my Weber "Silver A" because I couldn't get
enough heat for a char. I replaced it with a 0-10psi model that does
exactly as expected excepts sounds like a jet engine.

I can just see you now, wearing your aviator sunglasses and leather
helmet on your back porch. The Hawaiian shirt, short skirt, and
blinding white legs overpowering the brilliance of the exotic drink,
complete with straw and umbrella in it, wobbling on the 4" heels...

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/4/2016 8:19 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Except the helmet isn't leather, it's tin foil!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 10:34:40 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 9/4/2016 8:19 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 20:08:52 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 9/1/2016 9:44 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a Weber Genesis Silver propane grill that’s about 15 years old.
It’s kept outside, but with a fabric cover when not in use.

I replaced the regulator on my Weber "Silver A" because I couldn't get
enough heat for a char. I replaced it with a 0-10psi model that does
exactly as expected excepts sounds like a jet engine.

I can just see you now, wearing your aviator sunglasses and leather
helmet on your back porch. The Hawaiian shirt, short skirt, and
blinding white legs overpowering the brilliance of the exotic drink,
complete with straw and umbrella in it, wobbling on the 4" heels...

Except the helmet isn't leather, it's tin foil!

WHAT? I took you for a leather kind of girl.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Why? You're always wet, anyway. ;-)

All washed up, y'mean? I mean, I'm retar...um, retired.

Tell us something that we don't already know! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Without even bringing this customized armless swivel recliner upright
I just turned and grabbed a slice of honey ham from the fridge.

After our usual arctic January and February the temperature of a
fridge is beach weather. As a kid I went swimming in the 40F North

The fridge is on the other end of the house, so I have to get up and
walk there an back. It cuts down on snacking by 70% or more. I had a
fridge in my room at several different places, when I was healthy. I go
to bed hungry, quite often, to keep my blood sugar where it belongs.

I worked outside at -20 in a tee shirt and fatigue pants, after a
winter that was rarely above -40. My metabolism was running wide open.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Ehh, it's a Westinghouse!

No one else remembers?

Yes, and I also remember one of their large, air cooled power
transformers catching on fire at my high school. We went most of the
school year while waiting for them to build a replacement. We had to run
temporary lines to the older part of the building, and that left us with
just lights. Anything else would trip the 400A, three phase thermal
breakers.

That transformer was only a couple years old, and under warranty.
Westinghouse finally admitted they had screwed up the transformer, when
they built it. Luckily, the school used steam for heat and passive
radiators.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Sat, 03 Sep 2016
20:13:49 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

I ain't no chillun. I's all growed up.

I's an adult - I can act like a child anytime I want.

Worse - I have my own money.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 4 Sep 2016
15:42:57 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

I ain't no chillun. I's all growed up.

And out? ;-)

Isn't that what they mean by "Middle Aged" - you've stopped
growing up, and now are growing "out"?

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 3 Sep 2016
16:19:57 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

He had to replace the tires?

No, he's just retreaded. ;-)

Retreaded, eh? I don't know how one survives being treaded in the
first place.

Well, maybe it depends on what they were treaded for in the first
place, nicht wahr?

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4 Sep 2016 01:45:48 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-09-04, William Bagwell wrote:

Ehh, it's a Westinghouse!

No one else remembers?

The penguin asked why he was in the fridge?

"I'm westing!"

And I'm trying to remember how old I was when I first heard
that. Not very. :-)

Not finding it on Youtube or with a Google search... Bugs Bunny!
Elmer Fudd opens the refrigerator and Bugs says the line. Could
probably find it if I could remember the exact quote.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 15:47:59 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Yes, and I also remember one of their large, air cooled power
transformers catching on fire at my high school. We went most of the
school year while waiting for them to build a replacement. We had to run
temporary lines to the older part of the building, and that left us with
just lights. Anything else would trip the 400A, three phase thermal
breakers.

That transformer was only a couple years old, and under warranty.
Westinghouse finally admitted they had screwed up the transformer, when
they built it. Luckily, the school used steam for heat and passive
radiators.

Remember my Vo Tech welding instructor warning us to never buy a
Westinghouse welder. "They don't care, sell you a crappy welder this
year and a crappy (appliance) next year". Could have said air
conditioner, washing machine or refrigerator. About 1977 so my
memory has faded a bit...

He did *not* mention Bugs Bunny;-)
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

I ain't no chillun. I's all growed up.

And out? ;-)

A bit. I graduated high school weighing 192 and am now 215.
You?

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

I ain't no chillun. I's all growed up.

I's an adult - I can act like a child anytime I want.

Bueno, bwana.

Worse - I have my own money.

Ooh, ooh! Me want!

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 15:41:56 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Without even bringing this customized armless swivel recliner upright
I just turned and grabbed a slice of honey ham from the fridge.

After our usual arctic January and February the temperature of a
fridge is beach weather. As a kid I went swimming in the 40F North

The fridge is on the other end of the house, so I have to get up and
walk there an back. It cuts down on snacking by 70% or more. I had a
fridge in my room at several different places, when I was healthy. I go
to bed hungry, quite often, to keep my blood sugar where it belongs.

I worked outside at -20 in a tee shirt and fatigue pants, after a
winter that was rarely above -40. My metabolism was running wide open.

70+ years ago we went swimming May 1st whether there was ice in the
lake or not, just so long as the water was open at our swimming hole
near the outlet.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How about Elmer Fudd? He was the head of Westinghouse Quality
Control, after all. They couldn't get self proclaimed genius Whyle
Coyote. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Fun story. I've never had that problem because my BBQs rust out
before the regulator can go bad. They're just $25 tabletop models
since I'm single, but they can handle a 5# teriyaki pork loin roast
pretty easily, or 6 petite sirloins. I always buy large qtys, cook it
all up, and freeze what I can't eat during a week in the fridge.

I'm afraid to ask, but why do you spend a week in the fridge?

Maybe he's just chillin'?

He's always doing that, now that he's retired.

He had to replace the tires?

No, he's just retreaded. ;-)

Retreaded, eh? I don't know how one survives being treaded in the
first place.

Well, maybe it depends on what they were treaded for in the first
place, nicht wahr?

Actually, they just glued some old inner tubes on him, so he still
doesn't get a lot of traction on cold days. ;-)