OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

Old May 11th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats
etc. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other
than bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Two come to mind. FidoShock and motion activated sprinklers.

Steve

Old May 11th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ED" wrote

There's fellow who crosses wolf hounds with grey hounds in
this locality. It's said his dogs are hell on four legs to a coyote.

ED

Actually, the best cross breed is a pit bull and a collie. It will rip your
arm off, but then it will go for help.

Steve

Old May 11th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
says...

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

This is the corollary to "don't try to compensate for somebody
else's stupidity. It just encourages more of the same."

Ie. don't work too hard to fix somebody else's dumb design or
stupid mistake.

Jim

please reply to:
Old May 12th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Frankly I'd rather have the coyotes than the darn neighbor cats and
dogs around craping in the yard.
...lew...
Old May 12th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I refer to that is the Engineer providing "value added" during the
project specification stage.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:15:49 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
wrote:

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

Right. "I'm not answering the question you asked, I'm answering the
question you _should have_ asked."

Many, many times in my career I've faced the task of guiding a client
through 'refining' his/her specifications on a system until they came at
least diagonally consistent with physical reality. G

LLoyd

Old May 12th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

Old May 12th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:01:05 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"ED" wrote

There's fellow who crosses wolf hounds with grey hounds in
this locality. It's said his dogs are hell on four legs to a coyote.

ED

Actually, the best cross breed is a pit bull and a collie. It will rip your
arm off, but then it will go for help.

A medium sized pack of coyotes will make short work of a pit bull,
or rottweiler type dog.

I've seen a single coyote come out and actually
lure a dog to come after him only to have the rest of the pack laying
in wait back in the brush. I know of a rottie getting mugged and
killed a few years ago by a pack using this ploy.

My inlaws go out with the coyote houndsman who runs these grey hound
crosses. They cruise ranch country with the dogs in the
truck bed. When they jump up a coyote they sic the
hounds on em. These dogs have the heart of a lion...
the pelts pay for some of the dogs food and gas...the
ranchers also give them hunting rights for other game in turn. Sweet.

ED

Steve

Old May 12th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sounds as exciting as wild pigs in Texas.

Steve

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old May 12th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike" wrote in message
Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

I have seen coyote scat. Looks like they could pass a beer can. Please
explain how this sponge thing works.

Steve

Old May 12th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Mothballs in a perforated tin can . Or Paradichlorobenzine(sp?) Anyway
they do not like the smell . Personally I am for shooting them but I
realize not everyone has a 220 Swift :-) . Luck
Ken Cutt