Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Laurie Forbes

Default OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
reader

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats

etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

Remove the coyotes food sources (outdoor petfood, food scraps, garbage cans,
cats, dogs, etc)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats
etc. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other
than bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

One dead coyote will scare hell out of the rest of them. They'll come howl
one or two nights, then vacate the scene for a year.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Are your friends unwilling to harm the animals or are they just without
resourses or the ability to apply them?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hogleg

Since this is r.c.m, I suggest lead, jacketted in copper, sent thru a
rifled barrel, at 2800fps.

Once they have overcome the natural fear of humans, we need to
re-aquaint them to the fact that we are a predator that is higher in
the food chain. Otherwise they will continue to harrass small animals
and can move up to small humans. Not a good situation.

Sorry if this seems to be a bit too much of a dose of reality...

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Laurie Forbes wrote:

My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

Get bigger dogs....

Worked for my brother.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Hogleg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Since this is r.c.m, I suggest lead, jacketted in copper, sent thru a
rifled barrel, at 2800fps.

Once they have overcome the natural fear of humans, we need to
re-aquaint them to the fact that we are a predator that is higher in
the food chain. Otherwise they will continue to harrass small animals
and can move up to small humans. Not a good situation.

Sorry if this seems to be a bit too much of a dose of reality...

John

Don't be sorry. Your comments are right on target. As much as I like those
little wild dogs, they're a serious threat. There was a report recently of
one attacking a child. It may not happen often, but it's a reality.
They're smart and cunning animals that should be respected, and feared under
the wrong conditions.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:06:33 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Laurie Forbes wrote:

My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

Get bigger dogs....

There's fellow who crosses wolf hounds with grey hounds in
this locality. It's said his dogs are hell on four legs to a coyote.

ED

Worked for my brother.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:24:07 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats
etc. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other
than bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

One dead coyote will scare hell out of the rest of them. They'll come howl
one or two nights, then vacate the scene for a year.

Lloyd: You just failed the r.c.m reading comprehension test.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

We had this issue come up in our neighborhood recently. We're in a
suburban community which happens to not be in city limits (thank God).
Coyotes have been coming into backyards and making a racket, probably
thinning the cat population.
At a neighborhood association meeting we asked the sheriff's deputy
attending, for advice. "Shoot 'em. They aren't protected, they will eat
your pets and they can threaten humans".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote:
Lloyd: You just failed the r.c.m reading comprehension test.

Nope, the OP's friends didn't want to hurt them. A clean kill doesn't hurt,
and it's the best aversion therapy for coyotes. They're smart enough to pay
attention.

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:15:49 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

Right. "I'm not answering the question you asked, I'm answering the
question you _should have_ asked."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

IMHO I could care less if it hurts a coyote or not, as long as it
kills the SOB's........and not just scare it away.preferably a long
slow death....well not realy long and slow and quick would be best,
but I really hate those *******s with a passion. This area is loaded
with them. Even the state bombs them with poison baits from aircraft
and they stillmultiply like crazy. One year I shot 14 of them without
even trying. The kills were all accomplished on my way to or from
work or just by happen chance to see them when I had a gun handy.....I
imagine if I hunted them with a predator call etc I oucl deaily have
more than doubled that number.......

A few years back I found 3 little coyote pups in a den. Gave two away
and kept the third, a female.....it was not like a wolf or fox by
anymeans, and no matter how kind it ws treated, it wsa just as unreuly
and mean as a wild reared pup would have been. I gave it to the
wildlife officer up the road, who shot it in the end. None of the
other two pups were able to be trained either, and were also
destroyed......Its not uncommon to see them setting along the
interstate watching cars go buy without a care in the world.

wrote:

m...
wrote:
Lloyd: You just failed the r.c.m reading comprehension test.

Nope, the OP's friends didn't want to hurt them. A clean kill doesn't hurt,
and it's the best aversion therapy for coyotes. They're smart enough to pay
attention.

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

LLoyd

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote:

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

Right. "I'm not answering the question you asked, I'm answering the
question you _should have_ asked."

Many, many times in my career I've faced the task of guiding a client
through 'refining' his/her specifications on a system until they came at
least diagonally consistent with physical reality. G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

Hmmmmmmm
I think something along the lines of a M-79 grenade launcher with HE
or WP rounds as a minimum, or perhaps a 81 mm mortar with HE or
WP........preference would be call in an airstrike of my old buddies
in the 187th FW and let em put some JDAMS on target......or the U S
Army guard and their Apaches and lay down a barrage of
hellfire's.....Close would be close enough I would suspect ;-)

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:26:55 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:05:52 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:20:09 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article 2kJ8g.6230$zn1.995@clgrps13, says...
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

Anvils and wooden crates stencilled ACME prominently displayed around
the property.

Ned Simmons

12 guage shotgun and rock salt. If that doesn't work, substitute
buckshot.

12-Ga Sting-ball rounds or rubber baton rounds would be perfect, you
want to get their attention and let them know that hanging around
where people live isn't safe. But you may have to go through your
friend at the Police or Sheriff Dept. to get them.

They have some nice 40mm and 50mm rubber riot rounds with a CS or
Pepper Gas payload that releases on impact, and I'd think that would
make a much more lasting impression... But if you want to try that
route you need to borrow the grenade launcher to go with them.

-- Bruce --

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:28:31 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Right. "I'm not answering the question you asked, I'm answering the
question you _should have_ asked."

Many, many times in my career I've faced the task of guiding a client
through 'refining' his/her specifications on a system until they came at
least diagonally consistent with physical reality. G

nod-nod yup. Even better if you can get them to do this and think it
was their idea all along.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats
etc. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other
than bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Two come to mind. FidoShock and motion activated sprinklers.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"ED" wrote

There's fellow who crosses wolf hounds with grey hounds in
this locality. It's said his dogs are hell on four legs to a coyote.

ED

Actually, the best cross breed is a pit bull and a collie. It will rip your
arm off, but then it will go for help.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
says...

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

This is the corollary to "don't try to compensate for somebody
else's stupidity. It just encourages more of the same."

Ie. don't work too hard to fix somebody else's dumb design or
stupid mistake.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Frankly I'd rather have the coyotes than the darn neighbor cats and
dogs around craping in the yard.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I refer to that is the Engineer providing "value added" during the
project specification stage.

wrote:

Sometimes, the best solution ignores some design parameters.

Right. "I'm not answering the question you asked, I'm answering the
question you _should have_ asked."

Many, many times in my career I've faced the task of guiding a client
through 'refining' his/her specifications on a system until they came at
least diagonally consistent with physical reality. G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:01:05 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"ED" wrote

There's fellow who crosses wolf hounds with grey hounds in
this locality. It's said his dogs are hell on four legs to a coyote.

ED

Actually, the best cross breed is a pit bull and a collie. It will rip your
arm off, but then it will go for help.

A medium sized pack of coyotes will make short work of a pit bull,
or rottweiler type dog.

I've seen a single coyote come out and actually
lure a dog to come after him only to have the rest of the pack laying
in wait back in the brush. I know of a rottie getting mugged and
killed a few years ago by a pack using this ploy.

My inlaws go out with the coyote houndsman who runs these grey hound
crosses. They cruise ranch country with the dogs in the
truck bed. When they jump up a coyote they sic the
hounds on em. These dogs have the heart of a lion...
the pelts pay for some of the dogs food and gas...the
ranchers also give them hunting rights for other game in turn. Sweet.

ED

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"ED" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:01:05 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"ED" wrote

[...]

Sounds as exciting as wild pigs in Texas.

Steve

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Mike" wrote in message
Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

I have seen coyote scat. Looks like they could pass a beer can. Please
explain how this sponge thing works.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Mothballs in a perforated tin can . Or Paradichlorobenzine(sp?) Anyway
they do not like the smell . Personally I am for shooting them but I
realize not everyone has a 220 Swift :-) . Luck
Ken Cutt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

Larry you think along the same lines as I do.....

Regards

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:14:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:16:51 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Laurie, have your neighbors contact wildlife protectors in your area
and have them trapped (yes, and the coyotes, too) and relocated 100+
miles away. Cha CHING!

Frankly I'd rather have the coyotes than the darn neighbor cats and
dogs around craping in the yard.

Wait until the coyotes take out the pets, _then_ shoot them. I wish
some coyotes would take out a certain barker across the highway from
me. The idiot owners allow it to bark for hours at a time all hours of
the day and night without quieting it.

There are times I'd like to stake the owner to the yard for a day with
the barker a foot away from his ear. He might glean a new perspective,
I reckon.

---
-=Everything in Moderation, including moderation.=-
---
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) laptop privacy/glare guards

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

I would forego the sponge and bacon grease thing ands go with a chunk
of cork, ground up or crushed up to crumble sized pieces. ONe or two
miller or budweiser beer bottles, busted up into pieces about 1/8 x
1/2 or just some small shards about like a pea or so.1/2 pound of
hamburger meat.

Place hamburger meat in frying pan, and add crushed ground up cork,
and glass.. Stir well and brown and simmer until its soaked into the
cork........Using gloves make a few patties, and place in conspicuous
spots for coyotes to find..........They eat these burger patties, and
during digestion the grease is supposed pulled out of the cork and it
makes it swell up (so I am told) which causes binding or impaction of
some degree to the intestinal tract. Gut and intestinal tract action
combined with glass shards cuts intestines and creates internal
hemorageing......and of course peritonitis.

I supose the sponge deal works about the same way but just causes
blockage without cutting the intestines and making them bleed and leak
thus creating peritonitis
On Thu, 11 May 2006 17:32:23 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

I have seen coyote scat. Looks like they could pass a beer can. Please
explain how this sponge thing works.

Steve

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

Not too many critters can take a head shot with a .22 cal LR and its
as deadly when hit as it is with a 06' I have always heard theonly
feeling a person feels if shot in the head is where the skin and meat
is compromised, and that the brain itself has no nerve endings and
doesnot feel any pain itself, so hell a 22 even if it did not outright
kill the critter, is not gonna feel all that much, even if its doing
all kinds of death throes..........it only feels the hole the 22 made,
and the rest is just nerve reactions making it look grossly like a lot
of pain.

On Thu, 11 May 2006 17:47:15 -0700, Ken Cutt
wrote:
Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Mothballs in a perforated tin can . Or Paradichlorobenzine(sp?) Anyway
they do not like the smell . Personally I am for shooting them but I
realize not everyone has a 220 Swift :-) . Luck
Ken Cutt

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:16:51 GMT, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Laurie Forbes wrote:
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats etc.
Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other than
bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

Laurie Forbes

Frankly I'd rather have the coyotes than the darn neighbor cats and
dogs around craping in the yard.
...lew...

The city contractor for animal control has offered to provide live
traps for me to catch sh*tty cats on my property. I have been talking
this up in the neighbourhood. My next step will be to post signs
facing both streets (corner lot):

MISSING CAT?
check with animal
control at xxx-xxxx
That is where I take
any I catch on my
property.

We do have a bylaw requiring people to license and confine cats.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme

Roy,

I am curious so I would ask you a question. How big is your dick?

Thank you.

wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

I have seen coyote scat. Looks like they could pass a beer can.
Please
explain how this sponge thing works.

Steve

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy

Well asshole in inches it would still be higher than your IQ no
matter how big it is, and for the record, your momma loves it just
fine, as does your sister and wife...now run along and go back to the
rec.ponds forum like a good little sock puppet. Guess with me doing
your mom and wife and sister is keeping you form getting any huh?

wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

I have seen coyote scat. Looks like they could pass a beer can.
Please
explain how this sponge thing works.

Steve

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme

Roy,

It was a serious question. I would really like to know how big your dick
is.

I am not trying to provoke you or insult you so, there really is no need to
try to insult me either.

Thank you.

wrote:
Roy,

I am curious so I would ask you a question. How big is your dick?

Thank you.

t...

wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Pieces of sponge dipped in bacon grease ought to fix them up

I have seen coyote scat. Looks like they could pass a beer can.
Please
explain how this sponge thing works.

Steve

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
snip----

We do have a bylaw requiring people to license and confine cats.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

As it should be!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

~Roy wrote:
Not too many critters can take a head shot with a .22 cal LR and its
as deadly when hit as it is with a 06' I have always heard theonly
feeling a person feels if shot in the head is where the skin and meat
is compromised, and that the brain itself has no nerve endings and
doesnot feel any pain itself, so hell a 22 even if it did not outright
kill the critter, is not gonna feel all that much, even if its doing
all kinds of death throes..........it only feels the hole the 22 made,
and the rest is just nerve reactions making it look grossly like a lot
of pain.

You may be right but I have heard the sound of an individual brain cell
as it dies . Sounds just like a human scream . It was the brain cell of
a lab rat . Not sure if that matters . About the only thing I shoot with
a 22LR is Grouse . I was given an old Cooey single shot when I was a boy
and have used it for grouse ever since . I used to shoot a lot of
gophers when I was young but there are none near where I now live sadly
.. In open fields it is a lot easier with the Swift for coyotes .
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
snip----

We do have a bylaw requiring people to license and confine cats.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

As it should be!

Harold

I used to do a lot of wrought iron work. People would have me make fences
and fence extensions and gates and all manner of stuff to "keep their cats
in the yard."

You need a really high wall, or a roofed enclosure to confine a cat.

I'd build it for them, and know it wouldn't work.

Steve