Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

On Sun, 14 May 2006 06:32:35 GMT, "Diamond Jim"
wrote:

Also I understand that a adopting a pair of Greyhounds from the racetracks,
will solve a coyote problem fairly quickly too. In the early '60 I saw a
group of people hunting coyotes with greyhounds in the high desert around 29
Palms, Yucca Valley, Apple Valley Calif. They would load the pickups with
their greyhounds and take plenty of beer, and just drive around. Whenever
they saw a coyote they would let a few greyhounds out and watch them run the
coyote down and kill it. Just took a couple of minutes. Can't say I like
that method of hunting but what they did was legal at that time.

Using greyhounds was pretty common in Nevada in the mid 70s, there
were a couple government hunters using them on coyotes around the Ely
and Currant Ranch area. They also used em on mountain lions. Course
around the cats, got em treed on a rock up up a bush and kept em there
till the hunter could deliver the coup de gras.

Btw...greyhounds, particularly those retired racing greyhounds make
pretty good pets, and are surprisingly good in apartments. So so
around small children but are great family dogs as the kids get past
the crawling stage.

Oh yeah another advantage of the Karakachan's is they also kill the fox's
and leave the cotton tail rabbits alone. We have some great rabbit hunting
now.

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,