Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Avast fraud

"dadiOH" wrote in message news:lt9s87
stuff snipped

I also found a page discussing a third party support operator for
avast!.
Does this sound familiar?

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/294047...e-fake-av.aspx

More detail on the above:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/a...iyogi-support/

Great detective work. While others took the opportunity to throw some
stones you went out and got to the source of the problem. Four stars!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 07:36:08 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

The major
PC manufacturers will sell you a copy of the as-shipped software
for some reasonable fee, eg $40. For that you get not only Windows,
but also any other software that was bundled in, eg MSFT Office, etc.

I'd suggest Win7 users visit Digital River and get an image of Windows
SP1 without all the added trash from the maker. A clean image.

With a legal Product Key (sticker on the machine it will activate and
is authentic). Authorized images by MSFT. Pick the correct one!!!
Burn the ISO to DVD, boot and install it. Updates are fewer (G) with
SP1.

I fixed a laptop for my wife's friend that had a corrupted SSL
certificate. She loves me now G

I would not advise this for HB. Her hair may catch fire.

"...The Windows 7 ISO images hosted on Digital River is genuine and
official version, and the downloads from the server is legal. It’s
after all one of the official channel where end-users who purchase a
license (product key) for Windows 7 get the setup installation files."

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

https://tinyurl.com/3n2z5mk

It's a clean install as you can get - no trash...

BTDT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 22, 2014 7:02:18 PM UTC-7, Tony Hwang wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, August 22, 2014 9:01:31 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:

On 22 Aug 2014, Higgs Boson wrote in

alt.home.repair:

1. I bought Avast anti-virus and found their customer service

terrible. That is NOT what I was venting about.

2. On a call to Avast, a salesman-type sold me a "policy" by

which for $179/year Avast would "fix ANYTHING that went wrong with

the computer.".

You contradict yourself. You already admitted that the "company" that

sold you this (bogus) "policy" was NOT Avast. Please keep your fables

straight.

Avast does not sell any product such as you describe. You have not and

can not show us any official reference to any such product... because

it doesn't exist.

If you payed by credit card you can easily see who collected your

money. You might even be able to dispute the charge. I'm quite sure you

will see that you didn't pay Avast for this (bogus) service.

But in the end, I predict you will never get restitution. Deal with it,

take note of the lesson learned, and stop whining.

I STILL would like to know where in the computer world a person

could go to complain about what seems like shoddy business

practice Ombusman? Magazine? Regulatory body???

Scammers like the one who suckered you don't have "ombudsmen."

This is an example of the major differences in approaches to problems

between libs and conservatives. Libs think there should be an ombudsman,

a regulatory body, someone they can turn to because they are disatisfied

with a service. We should have people just sitting around, collecting

salaries, to be there for this kind of thing. Conservatives just say,

well, I probably shouldn't have bought that $179 support contract, learnb

from it and move on. Or, being more self-reliant, they may not have

bought it to begin with. I don't understand how anyone could honestly

believe that a phone support contract could be guaranteed to fix "anything" that's wrong with her PC.

I would think that maybe they could at least talk her through backing up

her files she wants to save, then doing a full restore of the PC to the

as-shipped load. That should fix any software problems, but she will have

to re-install any software. It's actually not a bad idea after several

years to get rid of all the crap that slowly winds up clogging and slowing

down most PCs. When I've done it, I've been amazed at how fast the PC

suddenly is.

Hi,

More than that. Every one is responsible for his(her) actions.

If I ever did make this dumb mistake coughing up 179.00, I'd just

tick it off as a learned lesson and move on rather than crying

out LOUD to the world; all the people around the world can read the

OP, some laughing, some feeling sorry, some wondering about her IQ

level. I wonder if there is an invoice and payment receipt?

See desired info on COURTEOUS new thread

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:33:05 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:25:58 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Does anyone know of an "ombudsman" type of person or site where I

could

upload my problems with Avast.

They sold me a policy to "fix anything wrong on computer".

Have you a link to whatever it is you bought?

Yes.
I've used avast! for many years...AFAIK, they have no such product.

They deal in software, not "policies".

Hi - I tried to explain earlier in this thread, but maybe it didn't go

through? Sorry, in my first "vent" I conflated TWO SEPARATE ISSUES:

1. I bought Avast anti-virus and found their customer service

terrible.

That is NOT what I was venting about.

2. On a call to Avast, a salesman-type sold me a "policy" by which for

$179/year Avast would "fix ANYTHING that went wrong with the computer.".

Well, being naive, I bought it. Tried them once; they didn't fix

(minor)

problem, but after tying me up for an hour with "chat" at computer,

they

did a System Restore -- which I could have done myself -- and lost data.

Much later,t fed up with a rash of (minor but annoying) problems, I

decided to try Avast "policy" again. This time, I spent ***a good part

of

two days*** sitting at computer during "chats" with succesion of techs

who ***ed up even worse; finally bailed without notifying me.

Result: REALLY SERIOUS PROBLEMS which are messing me up badly. If I

took the electrons to list details, you would agree!

Sent email and wrote Certified letter to the local HQ in upper CA

(parent

company in Germany; hard to reach). Gave DETAILS of techs' sorry

performance and demanded that computer be restored to previous status.

Nothing.

Nearly two weeks later, yesterday unintellible phone msg. followed by

email. I answered by email. Awaiting developments. Computer still

barely functioning.

Other kind posters on this thread opine that I was just suckered by

outside vendor. But he made the sales pitch on a call to Avast months

ago about something else entirely!

Hope this makes things clear?

I STILL would like to know where in the computer world a person could go

to complain about what seems like shoddy business practice Ombusman?

Magazine? Regulatory body???

One place would be the avast! user forum. There are also sites that

publish consumer horror stories, mostly consumer products but some

services. Some of the sites seem to be monitored as there are replies

from the vendors. Here's a link that may get you to some...

https://www.google.com/search?client...est&gws_rd=ssl

Regarding your specific complaint, I did find a page at avast! that

mentions a "paid-for Premium Support Services" down near the bottom of the

page. It mentions things that are included butI didn't find any price

info nor a way to buy it. Is this what you bought?

Didn't see it. Don't think I was there. Here's license for anti-virus I originally bought.

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# AVAST Software License File: 104432106
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - ANY CHANGES WILL INVALIDATE THE LICENSE!
#
# Thank you for your purchase/trial of AVAST Software products.
#
# Should you have any questions about this file,
# please write to .
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Certificates]

#
# License file publisher
#
IssuedBy=AVAST Software a.s.

#
# Customer name (license holder)
#
CustomerName=Sara Meric

#
# Customer number
#
CustomerNumber=104432106

#
# Name of customer company
#
CustomerCompany=

#
# Number of licensed products (covered by this file)
#
CertificateCount=1

#
# Section for licensed product 1
#
[Certificate0]

#
# Name of product: avast! Internet Security
#
Feature=AV_AIS

#
# License creation date: Dec 25, 2013
#
Issued=1387934756

#
# License expiry date: never expires
#
ValidThru=0

#
# Update license expiry date: Dec 25, 2014
#
UpdateValidThru=1419470756

#
# Number of licensed items
#
LicenseCount=1

#
# License Identifier
#
LicenseId=7fea5b89-9dd1-4f2f-a1f8-c05de82e8d30

#
# Reseller Identifier
#
ResellerId=2392

#
# Product type
# 0 = Standard
# 1 = Non-profit organization
# 2 = Government/Healthcare
# 3 = OEM
# 7 = Not for resale
# 9 = Education
# 10 = Subscription (2339801)
# 12 = Avast recommendation
#
LicenseType=10

ASWSignA174314548A43EAAE0397E6CC44B48C948158188F6F 16C63801D27900E87438D99BA3A6BF1148E5B6ASWSignA
ASWSignA162EB40893F59E9C375C01AEEFA32C447B9E71B464 66D89926876C6B4BCA56BC22EAC83BDF84E7F3ASWSignA

Looking at it carefully, I noticed a couple of odd things: Mention of RESELLER,
and of NON-PROFIT - GOVERNMENT - HEALTH CARE. What??!!!!

I also found a page discussing a third party support operator for avast!.

Does this sound familiar?

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/294047...e-fake-av.aspx

Ay, chihuahua! That sounds almost like a play-by-play of my experience! Even unto the "Bomgard" bit!!! Thanks for the link!!

What's puzzling is that the three successive "techs" did seem to be busting their buns (probably just reading off a screen!) to do requested tasks. Would they have been dupes of the fraudster? Or? The plot thickens!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 2:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:33:05 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I also found a page discussing a third party support operator for avast!.

Does this sound familiar?

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/294047...e-fake-av.aspx

Ay, chihuahua! That sounds almost like a play-by-play of my experience! Even unto the "Bomgard" bit!!! Thanks for the link!!

What's puzzling is that the three successive "techs" did seem to be busting their buns (probably just reading off a screen!) to do requested tasks. Would they have been dupes of the fraudster? Or? The plot thickens!

HB

I guess nothing new under the sun.

Probably back in 1500, someone bulk
mailing out for service contracts on
abacus, repair any thing for a low
flat rate.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:02:05 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

# Customer name (license holder)
#
CustomerName=Sara Meric

So Sara, Todd now has his answer.

LMAO
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:02:05 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Anybody need AVAST activated? LMAO! What a hoot.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:02:05 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ay, chihuahua! That sounds almost like a play-by-play of my experience! Even unto the "Bomgard" bit!!! Thanks for the link!!

What's puzzling is that the three successive "techs" did seem to be busting their buns (probably just reading off a screen!) to do requested tasks. Would they have been dupes of the fraudster? Or? The plot thickens!

HB

Most of what I saw on the links on the other thread indicate that iYogi was
apparently pursuing false *sales tactics*. I didn't see anything about them
then not making any attempt to do the service after you bought it. Those
are two different things. It would be like a salesman using scare tactics
and lies to get you to believe you need undercoating on your car. After you
paid for it, whether you got the undercoating, was it of any benefit is a
second issue. Real shystering in one area though is very often associated
with shystering everywhere.

I can't help but think this is karma coming back to you after the vile,
despicable lies you posted here about John McCain. A liar getting lied to
and taken, imagine that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:29:17 PM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:02:05 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ay, chihuahua! That sounds almost like a play-by-play of my experience! Even unto the "Bomgard" bit!!! Thanks for the link!!

What's puzzling is that the three successive "techs" did seem to be busting their buns (probably just reading off a screen!) to do requested tasks. Would they have been dupes of the fraudster? Or? The plot thickens!

[....invective..]

If you are really interested in learning about the career of John McCain, you might try getting ahold of an old copy of Rolling Stone. Sorry I don't have the date handy; depends on your willingness to be open to facts vs opinion.

Can we drop this please?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 13:15:57 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:29:17 PM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:02:05 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ay, chihuahua! That sounds almost like a play-by-play of my experience! Even unto the "Bomgard" bit!!! Thanks for the link!!

What's puzzling is that the three successive "techs" did seem to be busting their buns (probably just reading off a screen!) to do requested tasks. Would they have been dupes of the fraudster? Or? The plot thickens!

[....invective..]

If you are really interested in learning about the career of John McCain, you might try getting ahold of an old copy of Rolling Stone. Sorry I don't have the date handy; depends on your willingness to be open to facts vs opinion.

Sara,

WTF does Rolling Stone have to do with Senator John McCain?

Can we drop this please?

HB

You brought it up. Did he cause this "fraud" you allege about Avast.

How much does an OZ cost for your good weed? We may be interested in
smoking some. OG Kush?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2014 11:40 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Does anyone know of an "ombudsman" type of person or site where I could upload my problems with Avast.

They sold me a policy to "fix anything wrong on computer". Not only do their techs not know their *** from their elbow, but their hours and hours of unsuccessful efforts have ****ed up my computer so badly I have lost valuable programs and documents.

They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are blowing me off. Maybe if some entity more powerful than Consumer Sucker leans on them?

I understand such "ombudsman" or whatever you call them, do exist, so maybe you resourceful people can direct me.

TIA

HB

Avast antivirus is free ... whats to buy?

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:15:57 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:29:17 PM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:02:05 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ay, chihuahua! That sounds almost like a play-by-play of my experience! Even unto the "Bomgard" bit!!! Thanks for the link!!

What's puzzling is that the three successive "techs" did seem to be busting their buns (probably just reading off a screen!) to do requested tasks. Would they have been dupes of the fraudster? Or? The plot thickens!

[....invective..]

If you are really interested in learning about the career of John McCain, you might try getting ahold of an old copy of Rolling Stone. Sorry I don't have the date handy; depends on your willingness to be open to facts vs opinion.

Can we drop this please?

HB

Sure, as soon as you apologize for the vile lies. As for Rolling Stone,
is your Google broken? I found it in about 30 secs. It's a scurrilous piece
of crap, written in that lib rag sheet, when McCain was running for
president, in a desperate attempt to discredit him. Here, for the audience, is one great example of how fair and objective they we

"The next day, McCain embarked on his fateful 23rd mission, a bombing raid on a power plant in downtown Hanoi. McCain had cajoled his way onto the strike force -- there were medals up for grabs.

It was a dangerous mission -- taking the planes into the teeth of North Vietnam's fiercest anti-aircraft defenses. As the planes entered Hanoi airspace, they were instantly enveloped in dark clouds of flak and surface-to-air missiles. "

So, we're supposed to believe that McCain is a coward, but yet he
cajoled his way into what they admit was a dangerous mission just
because he *might* win a medal? It's also obvious that anyone making that charge would have to be a mind reader or have a witness that says McCain
told them that was why he wanted in. They have no witness. It's pure fiction.

You claimed McCain was well treated during his captivity. Yet, from your own
RS:

"There is no question that McCain suffered hideously in North Vietnam. His ejection over a lake in downtown Hanoi broke his knee and both his arms. During his capture, he was bayoneted in the ankle and the groin, and had his shoulder smashed by a rifle butt. His tormentors dragged McCain's broken body to a cell and seemed content to let him expire from his injuries. For the next two years, there were few days that he was not in agony."

In the company of his fellow POWs, and later in isolation, McCain slowly and miserably recovered from his wounds. In June 1968, after three months in solitary, he was offered what he calls early release. In the official McCain narrative, this was the ultimate test of mettle. He could have come home, but keeping faith with his fellow POWs, he chose to remain imprisoned in Hanoi.

What McCain glosses over is that accepting early release would have required him to make disloyal statements that would have violated the military's Code of Conduct. If he had done so, he could have risked court-martial and an ignominious end to his military career. "

I see. So, they acknowledge that McCain turned down early release. But
they are able to be mind readers again and know that it was for some
self-centered purpose, so it's just not good enough. How nice that works.
I'd like to step on the balls of the scum that wrote that piece for a few
minutes and see what he says and does.

"On the Fourth of July 1968, when he rejected the offer of early release, an officer nicknamed "Cat" got so mad, according to McCain, that he snapped a pen he was holding, splattering ink across the room.

"They taught you too well, Mac Kane," Cat snarled, kicking over a chair. "They taught you too well."

The brutal interrogations that followed produced results. In August 1968, over the course of four days, McCain was tortured into signing a confession that he was a "black criminal" and an "air pirate."

Did you read the part about "brutal interrogations? Two years in constant
pain? And then you buy that crap and **** all over a hero?
Hell, you believed a huckster on the phone that promised to fix anything
wrong with your PC for $180. If you're dumb enough to believe that, you're
dumb enough to believe anything I guess.

Why don't you contact Rolling Stone about your PC problem? They seem
very interested in writing wrongs and getting the truth out.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 5:26 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Gee, whiz. I had no idea that Sara was such a
despicable liar, and slander of character of a
Republican. Thanks for bringing that to light.
I'll keep this in mind, and hope everyone else
will, as Sara writes other hit pieces in the
future.

Now, I'll go back to clubbing baby seals, and
lighting kittens on fire, if you don't mind.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2014 4:15 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

If you are really interested in learning about

the career of John McCain, you might try getting
ahold of an old copy of Rolling Stone. Sorry I
don't have the date handy; depends on your
willingness to be open to facts vs opinion.

Can we drop this please?

HB

Is this what passes for facts? Rolling Stoned?

So, where do you go for your facts, Madge the
Palmolive lady? You're soaking in it!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:00:56 PM UTC-7, John wrote:
On 8/19/2014 11:40 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Does anyone know of an "ombudsman" type of person or site where I could upload my problems with Avast.

They sold me a policy to "fix anything wrong on computer". Not only do their techs not know their *** from their elbow, but their hours and hours of unsuccessful efforts have ****ed up my computer so badly I have lost valuable programs and documents.

They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are blowing me off. Maybe if some entity more powerful than Consumer Sucker leans on them?

I understand such "ombudsman" or whatever you call them, do exist, so maybe you resourceful people can direct me.

TIA

HB

Avast antivirus is free ... whats to buy?

Avast sells various anti-virus programs. Mine is a paid one.

My problem is not with the anti-virus; it's with a separate "support" program that I bought, which turns out to be very possibly fraudulent.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:26:09 PM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:15:57 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:29:17 PM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 2:02:05 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ay, chihuahua! That sounds almost like a play-by-play of my experience! Even unto the "Bomgard" bit!!! Thanks for the link!!

What's puzzling is that the three successive "techs" did seem to be busting their buns (probably just reading off a screen!) to do requested tasks. Would they have been dupes of the fraudster? Or? The plot thickens!

[....invective..]

If you are really interested in learning about the career of John McCain, you might try getting ahold of an old copy of Rolling Stone. Sorry I don't have the date handy; depends on your willingness to be open to facts vs opinion.

Can we drop this please?

[...]

Textbook example of cherry-picking. Anyone who read the WHOLE article about his life *before Vietnam and after his release* -- when the image-making machine cranked into motion, would see quite a different picture. In addition to cited article, there are many sources on-line.

It can be painful to have an image shattered.

No further comment.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:27:32 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Your specific claim was that McCain was a "phony war hero" who was
treated well by his captors, given special treatment, etc. That has
nothing to do with his life before or after Vietnam. It only concerns
what occured while at war for his country. As for "image making",
I've never seen McCain brag about his war experience, or even
talk about it publicly. He probably has, when asked about it, but
it sure wasn't the center piece of his presidential campaign.

It can be painful to have an image shattered.

What's painful is years of captivity, lack of medical treatment,
torture, and living with the resulting disabilities for the rest of
your life. And listening to idiots like you try to lie about it.

No further comment.

Yes, that figures. Defame a hero and then run away.

Let's look at another intersting claim made by you and Rolling Stone.
You claimed that McCain getting shot down was a result of his being
incompetent and disobeying orders. Here's what RS said:

"It was a dangerous mission -- taking the planes into the teeth of North Vietnam's fiercest anti-aircraft defenses. As the planes entered Hanoi airspace, they were instantly enveloped in dark clouds of flak and surface-to-air missiles. Still cocky from the previous day's kills, McCain took the biggest gamble of his life. As he dived in on the target in his A-4, his surface-to-air missile warning system sounded: A SAM had a lock on him. "I knew I should roll out and fly evasive maneuvers," McCain writes. "The A-4 is a small, fast" aircraft that "can outmaneuver a tracking SAM."

But McCain didn't "jink." Instead, he stayed on target and let fly his bombs -- just as the SAM blew his wing off."

There are a hell of a lot of other vets who evaluated the circumstances
and made a split second decision to take addtional risk to carry on and
complete the admission. Most Amreicans call them heros, and don't smear them
with lies. And think about this. If what McCain did was really disobeying
orders, reckless, etc, why in the world would he say what happened? No
one but McCain knew that he heard the missle warning go off in the cockpit.
If his actions were so out of line, all he had to do was keep his mouth
shut, instead of telling the truth about what actually happened.

Here is some more fair and objective stuff from RS:

"Off duty on his Mediterranean tours, McCain frequented the casinos of Monte Carlo, cultivating his taste for what he calls the "addictive" game of craps...

With a close friend at the base, an alcoholic Marine captain, McCain formed the "Key Fess Yacht Club," which quickly became infamous for hosting toga parties in the officers' quarters and bringing bands down from Memphis to attract loose women to the base. Showing his usual knack for promotion, McCain rose from "vice commodore" to "commodore" of the club."

Wow, naval aviators, playing craps, throwing parties, attracting women.
How shocking! Who would ever think they or any other soldiers on leave
would ever do that? What ground breaking reporting from RS!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Aug 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

No, I'd say you're an example of lib denial. Do you deny that
conservatives believe more in self reliance, responsibility for
one's own actions, while libs believe that more govt agencies,
more govt programs, more govt spending will fix everything? How's
that working with say, welfare and the war on poverty?

I'd say that the fact that you brought this irrelevant screed up in
this discussion and in response to my post says that you're paranoid,
close-minded, obsessed, and looking for someone else ("libs") to blame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2014 6:45 PM, Nil wrote:
On 23 Aug 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

No, I'd say you're an example of lib denial. Do you deny that
conservatives believe more in self reliance, responsibility for
one's own actions, while libs believe that more govt agencies,
more govt programs, more govt spending will fix everything? How's
that working with say, welfare and the war on poverty?

I'd say that the fact that you brought this irrelevant screed up in
this discussion and in response to my post says that you're paranoid,
close-minded, obsessed, and looking for someone else ("libs") to blame.

Trader is more on topic than most poster,
such as Higgy / Sara and her wandering.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Aug 2014, rbowman wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I'm not sure where 'pulled pork' came from. It looks like barbecue
to me. To clarify, barbecue only refers to a pig, and there are
two kinds, chopped and sliced. Also, tomato products are not
involved in any way, shape, or form.

"Pulled pork" seems to be pork (ribs, usually) that's cooked a long
time until the meat can easily be pulled off the bone. Of course it can
be barbeque!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Aug 2014, "dadiOH" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

"dadiOH" wrote in message

I also found a page discussing a third party support operator for
avast!.
Does this sound familiar?
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/294047...e-fake-av.aspx

More detail on the above:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/a...iyogi-support/

Interesting. Maybe this is what happened after all. It sounds like
you would call Avast for support for their anti-virus products. Then
iYogi would try to sell you a contract for THEIR service, which
sounds suspiciously like the common scam where a fake Microsoft
representative would cold-call you and try to convince you that your
computer was infested with viruses that they would remove for a
hefty fee.

It sounds to me that if you fell for it, you would be paying iYogi,
not Avast, and that would be reflected on your credit card
statement.

I wish Higgs Boson would deign to answer the questions about those
points so we would know for sure.

In any case, I'm disappointed that Avast would partner with this
unscrupulous company. I like Avast Antivirus as a product, but not
this business practice.

I'm tempted to call the listed number and see what happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2014 7:10 PM, Nil wrote:

[...]

1) Might not be authorized by Avast.
2) Typical troll behavior. Throw a problem out,
don't provide enough information.
--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

# Customer name (license holder)
#
CustomerName=Sara Meric

So Sara, Todd now has his answer.

LMAO

Higgs is a girl !?!?!? I though he was a penguin.

Actually Sara is a pretty name. I wonder why she doesn't
use it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

I also found a page discussing a third party support operator for avast!.
Does this sound familiar?
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/294047...e-fake-av.aspx

More detail on the above:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/a...iyogi-support/

Hi Pops,

Excellent research.

I do love Krebs' web site. Have him on an RSS feed.

Had a customer once that bought the $150 extended warranty from Dell.
Though that included everything too and they no longer needed me.

But, I do know that Dell is very clear that the warranty only covers
hardware. I called Dell sales and handed the phone to the customer.
The customer was really, really ****ed, including at me too! She
argued with Dell for a good 20 minutes over it too.

Had another customer who had a guy in a suit walk into his
business and promise him for $100 (or so I remember) that he
would clean off all his viruses, etc.. The ass hole infected
him with some ransomware. I made about $200 cleaning it off.
I told the customer to call the police next time. He had the
guy right there in his physical presence.

I think for these schemes to work, a person's greed has to over
ride their common sense.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/23/2014 04:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, I'll go back to clubbing baby seals, and
lighting kittens on fire, if you don't mind.

Hi Stormin',

I though you used those for clay pigeons when you went skeet
shooting. Oh well. Some misconceptions die hard.

And clubbing baby seals, why! why! I am incensed!
How could you do such a thing !?!?!

:-)

-T

Have any extra Seal meat I could mooch off you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

[...]

Never underestimate stupity

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:
On 22 Aug 2014, rbowman wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I'm not sure where 'pulled pork' came from. It looks like
barbecue
to me. To clarify, barbecue only refers to a pig, and
there are
two kinds, chopped and sliced. Also, tomato products are
not
involved in any way, shape, or form.

"Pulled pork" seems to be pork (ribs, usually) that's
cooked a long
time until the meat can easily be pulled off the bone. Of
course it
can be barbeque!

No, pulled pork is usually made from a Boston Butt or a
picnic/shoulder and the only way to get it to "pull" is to
smoke it at 225 degrees until it hits at least 195 degrees
internal temps. Usually at least 10 hrs, YMMV depending on
the size. Anything less and it will slice but not pull. Of
course it *HAS TO BE* que'd or otherwise its just pork
Right, Ed !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

# Customer name (license holder)
#
CustomerName=Sara Meric

So Sara, Todd now has his answer.

LMAO

Higgs is a girl !?!?!? I though he was a penguin.

Actually Sara is a pretty name. I wonder why she doesn't
use it?

Likely comes from an old sailing family. "Avast, matey!
We been ripped off the mains'l. The Higgs Boson came
unsecured from the f'o'castle deck, and ripped the bottom
sail. Lash her down to the deck, mate, afore we lose
the jib and cross wind sails, too."

With the roar of the surf and the salt spray in her
history, it's only fitting she'd take a moniker that
harkens to the sea.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2014 12:20 AM, Todd wrote:
On 08/23/2014 04:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now, I'll go back to clubbing baby seals, and
lighting kittens on fire, if you don't mind.

Hi Stormin',

I though you used those for clay pigeons when you went skeet
shooting. Oh well. Some misconceptions die hard.

And clubbing baby seals, why! why! I am incensed!
How could you do such a thing !?!?!

:-)

-T

Have any extra Seal meat I could mooch off you?

Of course, you remember last week when you and I
were both SKitten shooting? That was a blast! Hey,
thanks so much for offering to buy me a beer after
the round, but Mormons don't drink alcohol. Make it
a diet coke, and I'll buy the next round.

I've got a chest freezer full of tenderized seal meat,
that's been broken down so it's nice if you pan fry it.
Pop over any time, I'll give you a couple pounds. We had
it shipped home from my last vacation in Alaska. I think
the TSA guys took a bunch, they had a gas grill going
out back of the terminal. No loss, I palmed the Glock
pistol they left on the table, and sold it to a guy in
bright colors and bling right outside the terminal.
Know I'm sayin, home?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:56:06 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 22 Aug 2014, rbowman wrote in

alt.home.repair:

I'm not sure where 'pulled pork' came from. It looks like barbecue

to me. To clarify, barbecue only refers to a pig, and there are

two kinds, chopped and sliced. Also, tomato products are not

involved in any way, shape, or form.

"Pulled pork" seems to be pork (ribs, usually) that's cooked a long

time until the meat can easily be pulled off the bone. Of course it can

be barbeque!

Wrong. Pulled pork is shredded pork that comes from pork butt or similar cuts. I've never seen anyone shred ribs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:17:38 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 24 Aug 2014, Stormin Mormon wrote in

alt.home.repair:

Trader is more on topic than most poster,

such as Higgy / Sara and her wandering.

In this case I would say Not. Not even close.

His paranoid rant had nothing at all to do with the topic at hand or my

post.

It wasn't a rant, just a brief observation. It does have something to do
with it. HB is a classic lib. She's looking for some "ombudsman" or govt agency to solve her problem. She refuses all help from the many folks here that have offered to help her solve her PC problem if she would just tell
them what's wrong. And then it turns out, she's being dishonest herself, claiming in her first post that Avast was ignoring her, then the next day, telling us that Avast had responded both in writing and with a phone call. Then, in typical fashion, not telling us what they said.

The basic claim that it's fraud sounds like a stretch too. They sold her a service, she admits they provided phone support for a previous problem and helped her restore her PC. But she says that resulted in some lost data. Any bets that the lost data was because HB didn't have stuff properly backed up?
Or didn't back it up properly before doing the restore? And in this
incident, she says they spent several hours trying to help her. Anyone want
to bet that after trying the obvious, they suggested that she restore the PC
to the as-shipped software load, but she refused? I know if I was providing software phone support and guaranteeing to fix *anything*, that
would be one of my suggestions, because it not only works, it's a CYA to
meet the alleged claim that you can fix anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2014 8:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:17:38 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 24 Aug 2014, Stormin Mormon wrote in

alt.home.repair:

Trader is more on topic than most poster,

such as Higgy / Sara and her wandering.

In this case I would say Not. Not even close.

His paranoid rant had nothing at all to do with the topic at hand or my

post.

It wasn't a rant, just a brief observation.

It does have something to do
with it. HB is a classic lib. She's looking

for some "ombudsman" or govt agency to solve her
problem.

One time when I'd been declined for a job, I
mentioned that in passing to my sister, the
lib. Just like the rest of you libs (like Sara),
she suggested that I contact some govt agency,
and see if I could force them to give me a job.
I figured heck with that, if they were forced,
the company would find a thousand ways to make
this here government forced hire miserable.

Affirmative action hires are for you libs.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:56:06 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 22 Aug 2014, rbowman wrote in

alt.home.repair:

I'm not sure where 'pulled pork' came from. It looks like barbecue

to me. To clarify, barbecue only refers to a pig, and there are

two kinds, chopped and sliced. Also, tomato products are not

involved in any way, shape, or form.

"Pulled pork" seems to be pork (ribs, usually) that's cooked a long

time until the meat can easily be pulled off the bone. Of course it
can

be barbeque!

Wrong. Pulled pork is shredded pork that comes from pork butt or
similar
cuts. I've never seen anyone shred ribs.

Ever eat kalua pig? The whole pig is cooked (steamed, basically) in an
imu which is an underground pit. Once cooked, ALL the meat is like pulled
pork.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:30:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 6:56:06 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 22 Aug 2014, rbowman wrote in

alt.home.repair:

I'm not sure where 'pulled pork' came from. It looks like barbecue

to me. To clarify, barbecue only refers to a pig, and there are

two kinds, chopped and sliced. Also, tomato products are not

involved in any way, shape, or form.

"Pulled pork" seems to be pork (ribs, usually) that's cooked a long

time until the meat can easily be pulled off the bone. Of course it can

be barbeque!

Wrong. Pulled pork is shredded pork that comes from pork butt or similar cuts. I've never seen anyone shred ribs.

Plus, Nil is wrong about BBQ only being pork. Beef brisket qualifies
as BBQ when smoked at low temps. As does beef ribs.

May he thinks cooking ribs on a grill is BBQ - it ain't

Nil,

_Perfect Pulled Pork Recipe _

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Sauce by regions.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_articles/history_of_bbq_sauce.html

Never heard of smoked black mullet? (fish)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 25, 2014 11:23:43 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message

[...]

Yes I have. IDK what they specifically did with the ribs, but I guess they
could shred it too. But then they don't call it pulled pork either.
My point was that in most of the USA, pulled pork is not
typically made from ribs. It doesn't make sense because the ribs are worth more
sold as ribs and other cuts of meat, eg butt is cheaper and better suited to shredding for pulled pork.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
On Monday, August 25, 2014 11:23:43 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Yes I have. IDK what they specifically did with the ribs, but I guess they
could shred it too. But then they don't call it pulled pork either.
My point was that in most of the USA, pulled pork is not
typically made from ribs. It doesn't make sense because the ribs are worth more
sold as ribs and other cuts of meat, eg butt is cheaper and better suited to shredding for pulled pork.

Up until the marketing programs in the early 70's, the ribs were considered
a waste cut. They still are a waste cut, just one that can be monitized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

# Customer name (license holder)
#
CustomerName=Sara Meric

So Sara, Todd now has his answer.

LMAO

Higgs is a girl !?!?!? I though he was a penguin.

Actually Sara is a pretty name. I wonder why she doesn't
use it?

Um, 'cause people can find her??

--- (house number modified for here safety)

(XXXX) Pacific Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Find on map
Show street view
Owner: SARA MERIC TR TRUST
Total land value: $63,690 (it was $60,906 in 2009)
Total building value: $14,307 (it was $13,683 in 2009)
Total value for property: $77,997 (it was $74,589 in 2009)
Recording date: 01/06/1992
Year built: 1927
Effective year built: 1927
Area of property: 1,415 square feet
Assessment for fiscal year: 2012/2013
---
It prevents "Avast fraud".
--
"The definition of a liberal, a liberal is somebody that doesn't care what you do as long as it's mandatory". -- Charles Krauthammer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Aug 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

It wasn't a rant, just a brief observation.

So, several off-topic, 100-plus-line political screeds isn't a rant,
eh?

"Oh, no! I'm not ranting!", he says as he continues to rant.

I think she's barking up the wrong tree, too, but it's obvious that
you're trying to nurse your continuing grudge against her by bringing
it into unrelated threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:50:57 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 25 Aug 2014, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

It wasn't a rant, just a brief observation.

So, several off-topic, 100-plus-line political screeds isn't a rant,
eh?

Google postings cause thread lines into the thousands of lines. Look
it up. I said it right here before.

"Oh, no! I'm not ranting!", he says as he continues to rant.

Define his rant in 100 lines OR less. Sentences if you can manage the
task. Fewer lines are better.

I think she's barking up the wrong tree, too, but it's obvious that
you're trying to nurse your continuing grudge against her by bringing
it into unrelated threads.

I think you do not actually know what tree too bark up.

I'd be really interested to see about what you call a "grudge". Help
me out so I understand.

You libs don't know what pulled pork is, do you?