Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil[_3_] Nil[_3_] is offline

Default Avast fraud

On 23 Aug 2014, "dadiOH" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

"dadiOH" wrote in message

I also found a page discussing a third party support operator for
avast!.
Does this sound familiar?
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/294047...e-fake-av.aspx

More detail on the above:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/a...iyogi-support/

Interesting. Maybe this is what happened after all. It sounds like
you would call Avast for support for their anti-virus products. Then
iYogi would try to sell you a contract for THEIR service, which
sounds suspiciously like the common scam where a fake Microsoft
representative would cold-call you and try to convince you that your
computer was infested with viruses that they would remove for a
hefty fee.

It sounds to me that if you fell for it, you would be paying iYogi,
not Avast, and that would be reflected on your credit card
statement.

I wish Higgs Boson would deign to answer the questions about those
points so we would know for sure.

In any case, I'm disappointed that Avast would partner with this
unscrupulous company. I like Avast Antivirus as a product, but not
this business practice.

I'm tempted to call the listed number and see what happens.