Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum threshold on cement floor

I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 05:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

They are called "concrete screws"

I use them all the time and they are great. Most any H/W store will have
them. (They come in either flat head or hex head)

BTW: Don;t get the ones made out of concrete though (yes another one of
my stupid jokes)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 6:57 PM, philo wrote:

They are called "concrete screws"

I use them all the time and they are great. Most any H/W store will have
them. (They come in either flat head or hex head)

BTW: Don;t get the ones made out of concrete though (yes another one of
my stupid jokes)

Whew. Glad they are available. Are they near the
lead free lead anchors?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 06:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/24/2013 6:57 PM, philo wrote:

They are called "concrete screws"

I use them all the time and they are great. Most any H/W store will have
them. (They come in either flat head or hex head)

BTW: Don;t get the ones made out of concrete though (yes another one of
my stupid jokes)

Whew. Glad they are available. Are they near the
lead free lead anchors?

More than likely next to the snow tires...
get 'em before they melt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/24/2013 06:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
BTW: Don;t get the ones made out of concrete though (yes another one of
my stupid jokes)

Whew. Glad they are available. Are they near the
lead free lead anchors?

More than likely next to the snow tires...
get 'em before they melt.

I'll use them while I'm with my blow up doll,
and my roller skate, and my air compressor,
and my ball joint.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

The brand I use are called Tapcons. Pre-drill the
concrete using a masonry bit of the correct size
and lubricate the screws with bees wax.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:57:31 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/24/2013 05:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

They are called "concrete screws"

The most comman brand is "tap-con"

I use them all the time and they are great. Most any H/W store will have
them. (They come in either flat head or hex head)

BTW: Don;t get the ones made out of concrete though (yes another one of
my stupid jokes)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:UNouu.57430$Qi4.9346
@fx11.iad:

I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

They're Tapcons. Available in flat head like a wood screw or in hex head
like a bolt with an integrated washer. Predrill hole in concrete to a
specified size depending on the diameter of the Tapcon.

http://www.tapcon.com/products.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/24/2013 6:57 PM, philo wrote:

They are called "concrete screws"

I use them all the time and they are great. Most any H/W store will have
them. (They come in either flat head or hex head)

BTW: Don;t get the ones made out of concrete though (yes another one of
my stupid jokes)

Whew. Glad they are available. Are they near the
lead free lead anchors?

As others have said, Tapcon is a common brand of concrete screws. If you
haven't used them before, you might want to try them in a similar situation
to your job before you try them in "real life".

There are 2 types. Flatheads, for which you should countersink the
threshold, and hex head which will end up with the head proud of the
threshold. You might not want that, unless there's a track or groove that
will keep them below the surface.

One key tip: Tapcons are essentially a one shot deal. If you spin them in
too fast you can strip the hole. Once you do that, you can't use that hole
again unless you fill it with epoxy or something. You also usually can't
loosen the fastener and tighten it again. Concrete isn't as forgiving as
wood in that regard. It's basically "a screw them down tight and leave them
alone" operation.

I mention all this because the fasteners will be visible. If you mess one
up, you might have to drill another hole in the threshold which will also
be visible.

Check out this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=djotP-sR4mU
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Streets wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

The brand I use are called Tapcons. Pre-drill the
concrete using a masonry bit of the correct size
and lubricate the screws with bees wax.

Aaaahhh , beeswax ! Great idea , thanks . BTW Chris , when you drive these
use a brand new bit in your screw gun . They turn tough and if you cam the
bit outta the socket yer screwed .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:34:07 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

The Streets wrote:
[...]

Use epoxy instead of beeswax. It lubricates on the way in, and helps
prevent pullout later - - - - -.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:

I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

They're Tapcons. Available in flat head like a wood screw or in hex head
like a bolt with an integrated washer. Predrill hole in concrete to a
specified size depending on the diameter of the Tapcon.

http://www.tapcon.com/products.asp

They come in a kit with the required carbaloy bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 8:06 PM, The Streets wrote:

The brand I use are called Tapcons. Pre-drill the
concrete using a masonry bit of the correct size
and lubricate the screws with bees wax.

Have to see if I can find those. Wonder if they
come in flat head? Don't want big cap heads, that
will stick up over the surface of the threshold.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 8:35 PM, Red Green wrote:

They're Tapcons. Available in flat head like a wood screw or in hex head
like a bolt with an integrated washer. Predrill hole in concrete to a
specified size depending on the diameter of the Tapcon.

http://www.tapcon.com/products.asp

Sounds like the right item. I didn't see
flat head, but maybe they do have em?

Another mouse click or two, and I see
pictures of flat head phillips.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 9:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Score! Online video training. Best reply yet, thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 11:34 PM, Snag wrote:

Aaaahhh , beeswax ! Great idea , thanks . BTW Chris , when you drive these
use a brand new bit in your screw gun . They turn tough and if you cam the
bit outta the socket yer screwed .

Wonder where I'd get bees wax?

And, yes, the new screw driver bit is also
a great idea. I've heard that thunk-thunk-thunk
noise a few times.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

Tapcons (brand of concrete screw) come in blue or black AFAIK. IMO, either
is going to look crummy in a threshold; not only becuse of the color but
because the head will stick up slightly unless you are able to perfectly
countersink them, not always an easy task on thin aluminum.

Let me ask you, how was the threshold originally attached? I'd try to do it
the same way. One way that is common is to lay down a piece of PT, tapcon
it in and attach the threshold to it with smaller wood screws.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

On 12/24/2013 11:34 PM, Snag wrote:

Aaaahhh , beeswax ! Great idea , thanks . BTW Chris ,
when you drive these use a brand new bit in your screw
gun . They turn tough and if you cam the bit outta the
socket yer screwed .

Wonder where I'd get bees wax?

And, yes, the new screw driver bit is also
a great idea. I've heard that thunk-thunk-thunk
noise a few times.

One of the best things to turn in tapcons is a brace with appropriate
bit...plenty of leverage, lets you turn in slow and to the proper torque,
That's particulatry important with a threshold because if you torque too
much you are going to deform the (probably) hollow threshold (unless it has
a support under it).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 7:06 PM, The Streets wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold for commercial doors.
About six inches wide, and runs the width of two 36 inch steel
doors. One half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe four or
so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look a bit like drywall
screws, but have really aggressive threads. Anyone know what I need
for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as not to be a trip
hazard. Can't have hex heads. --

The brand I use are called Tapcons. Pre-drill the concrete using a
masonry bit of the correct size and lubricate the screws with bees
wax.

I use "saw wax" cutting lubricant which looks like a big chap stick and
can be pushed out of the tube from one end. I keep a stick in the
toolbox to lube all sorts of cutting tools, drills, self tapping screws
and even drawer slides and sliding windows. You can find it or a similar
product wherever cutting tools and drills bits are sold. ^_^

http://www.detroitbandsaw.com/catalog.asp?prodid=690709

http://preview.tinyurl.com/krx7dop

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use "saw wax" cutting lubricant which looks like a big chap stick and
can be pushed out of the tube from one end. I keep a stick in the
toolbox to lube all sorts of cutting tools, drills, self tapping screws
and even drawer slides and sliding windows. You can find it or a similar
product wherever cutting tools and drills bits are sold. ^_^

http://www.detroitbandsaw.com/catalog.asp?prodid=690709

http://preview.tinyurl.com/krx7dop

TDD

I've seen those wax sticks, but never quite connected
in my mind. Sadly, as a Mormon, I've been smoking, off
the side of a circle saw blade. So, the saw wax may get
multiple uses, after I finish power screwing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

Another way is with duct tape. That would be so ****in' awesome!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 7:54 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Let me ask you, how was the threshold originally attached? I'd try to do it
the same way. One way that is common is to lay down a piece of PT, tapcon
it in and attach the threshold to it with smaller wood screws.

Not totally sure, how the original fasten.
I do see silver phillips flat head screws
on the original side. Beyond that, not sure.

It's a back door of a store, no customers
will see it, we hope.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 8:01 AM, dadiOH wrote:

One of the best things to turn in tapcons is a brace with appropriate
bit...plenty of leverage, lets you turn in slow and to the proper torque,
That's particulatry important with a threshold because if you torque too
much you are going to deform the (probably) hollow threshold (unless it has
a support under it).

I'm old enough to know what is a "bit brace". Don't
have one, and not one with phillips tip. The drill
driver on slow, bees wax, and new tip will maybe do.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 10:11 AM, Red Green wrote:

Let me ask you, how was the threshold originally attached? I'd try to
do it the same way. One way that is common is to lay down a piece of
PT, tapcon it in and attach the threshold to it with smaller wood
screws.

Another way is with duct tape. That would be so ****in' awesome!

I wonder if I can get Duck Dynasty tape,
and really do it right?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 09:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/25/2013 8:01 AM, dadiOH wrote:

One of the best things to turn in tapcons is a brace with appropriate
bit...plenty of leverage, lets you turn in slow and to the proper torque,
That's particulatry important with a threshold because if you torque too
much you are going to deform the (probably) hollow threshold (unless
it has
a support under it).

I'm old enough to know what is a "bit brace". Don't
have one, and not one with phillips tip. The drill
driver on slow, bees wax, and new tip will maybe do.

It does not actually have to be bees wax...and old candle or a bar of
soap will do just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

Another way is with duct tape. That would be so ****in' awesome!

Do they make double sided duct tape ???

If not , might be a good idea for a new product.

Might call it double barrel duck dynasty tape.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:01:58 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

On 12/24/2013 11:34 PM, Snag wrote:

Aaaahhh , beeswax ! Great idea , thanks . BTW Chris ,
when you drive these use a brand new bit in your screw
gun . They turn tough and if you cam the bit outta the
socket yer screwed .

Wonder where I'd get bees wax?

And, yes, the new screw driver bit is also
a great idea. I've heard that thunk-thunk-thunk
noise a few times.

One of the best things to turn in tapcons is a brace with appropriate
bit...plenty of leverage, lets you turn in slow and to the proper torque,
That's particulatry important with a threshold because if you torque too
much you are going to deform the (probably) hollow threshold (unless it has
a support under it).

And just a wee bit past that, you break off the tapcon. Tapcons are
like drywall screws - if they give AT ALL they snap. Not made to be
used where any lateral stress/movement can occur.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Streets wrote:
[...]

You can get the dual tube anchor adhesive from the industrial supply
house or what I've used for big screws and bolts which it the glass
capsule epoxy that you put into a cleaned out hole then install the
anchor using a drill attachment that breaks the glass tube containing
the epoxy and catalyst which mixes and spreads inside the hole around
the anchor. The epoxy is stronger than the concrete. Hilti uses a
plastic capsule but a number of manufacturers sell a dual tube system
wkich uses a long disposable mixing nozzle. ^_^

http://www.unisorb.com/pdf/gc24.pdf

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 07:54:50 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

I've had pretty good luck on a few just blasting them full of low
expansion (window and door mounting) urethane spray foam. It sticks
like snot to anything and keeps the threshold from depressing/bouncing
as a bonus.. If mounting a new aluminum threshold to concrete, just
get urethane windsheild mounting compound and lay 2 beads on the
(clean and dry) concrete, and drop the threshold in place. It is there
"for the count".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 5:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold for commercial doors.
About six inches wide, and runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors.
One half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe four or so
anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look a bit like drywall
screws, but have really aggressive threads. Anyone know what I need
for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as not to be a trip
hazard. Can't have hex heads.

I installed a lot of thresholds when I worked on automatic and
commercial door systems. I used the blue plastic anchors because sooner
or later some Goomba would come along and damage the threshold which
required replacement. The plastic anchors could be dug out easily which
is not the case with those that are glued in. If the screw in the
plastic anchor was stuck, a flat bar can be hammered under the threshold
to pry it up. Think forward. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2013 10:36 AM, philo wrote:

I'm old enough to know what is a "bit brace". Don't
have one, and not one with phillips tip. The drill
driver on slow, bees wax, and new tip will maybe do.

It does not actually have to be bees wax...and old candle or a bar of
soap will do just fine.

Aparently the bees wax "chap stick" might do
the job. Looks like convenient size, too.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

I installed a lot of thresholds when I worked on automatic and
commercial door systems. I used the blue plastic anchors because sooner
or later some Goomba would come along and damage the threshold which
required replacement. The plastic anchors could be dug out easily which
is not the case with those that are glued in. If the screw in the
plastic anchor was stuck, a flat bar can be hammered under the threshold
to pry it up. Think forward. ^_^

TDD

The foam stuff sounded like a thing to try, if this
doesn't do. Plenty more cement under the six inch by
double 36 threshhold, if I have to put in more
anchors. If these snap off, or some thing.

Hoping not many goombas, here.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDad03 View Post
One key tip: Tapcons are essentially a one shot deal. If you spin them in
too fast you can strip the hole. Once you do that, you can't use that hole
again unless you fill it with epoxy or something. You also usually can't
loosen the fastener and tighten it again. Concrete isn't as forgiving as
wood in that regard. It's basically "a screw them down tight and leave them
alone" operation.
No, you can take the Tapcon out, and put 2 or 3 tooth picks in the hole and drive the Tapcon back in. The toothpicks will act just like a plastic or lead anchor, pressing against and gripping the rough sides of the hole with soft wood that the Tapcon screw threads will also grip well. Clear any dust out of the hole with a pipe cleaner first, cut the toothpicks to length, and insert them pointy side up so that the screw point automatically finds it's way in between the inserted toothpicks for a uniform grip all around the screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3172065 Wrote:

[...]

While a toothpick might work in concrete for some period of time, I
wouldn't trust it as much as I would in wood. As I'm sure you know, it is
standard procedure is to use treated wood when there will be contact with
concrete. Why? Moisture.

Maybe I might consider slivers of PT wood if I had to R&R a Tapcon, but I
wouldn't trust a standard kitchen toothpick to last in concrete,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2013 06:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold
for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and
runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look
a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive
threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as
not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

Plastic inserts and stainless steel screws are the only way to go.

If I caught someone using Tapcons on a door threshold, I'd go get my baseball bat and .... oh, never mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 13:41:42 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3172065 Wrote:

[...]

How about a couple of nylon tye-straps???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3172065 Wrote:

[...]

Actually, that might not be a bad idea.

Of course, in my lifetime I don't recall ever having to take a Tapcon out
and put it back in. Anything I've attached with a Tapcon was meant to be
permanent, like a sill plate to a concrete floor, wire mesh for parging
cement block, etc.

Now, I have stripped one or two while installing them, but since they were
eventually going to be hidden, I simply drilled another hole nearby and
tried again.

BTW.. I just found this in a FAQ at the website listed below. My assertion
that Tapcons were a one shot deal was based on my experience, not on
anything I had read. I'm glad I found something to substantiate my comment.

Are these cement screws removable?

Yes, they are removable from the hole in which they are installed. However,
reusing the screw in the same hole is not advisable because the holding
values may be decreased or non-existent.

- See more at:
http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc....ZSan332j.dpuf

Of course, using some sort of material to improve the "holding values"
might work. Luckily I've never had to try anything like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 18:30:08 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

One
half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe
four or so anchors.

I read the replies. So this is a repair, right?

Remove the screws and have a peek under the TH. Chances there could
be some old silicone caulk and plastic anchors in the holes already
drill in the concrete. Clean all the off well.

Put new anchors in, run a couple of beads of silicone caulk (draft and
water intrusions prevention under the TH).

Buy screws which are the same as present used on the TH being
repaired.

My take is this is not a new install....
Posted to alt.home.repair

I find blowing through a fairly long straw the best way to clean dust out of a drilled hole in concrete. Just be prepared to protect your eyes as the dust really circulates everywhere if you blow vigorously enough to really clear the dust out of the hole.