Default Can you paint an aluminum threshold?

We ordered some doors for our house. We specified dark bronze hinges
and threshold. They arrived at the job and were installed before we
were able to check them. They arrived with silver aluminum or
stainless thresholds and brass hinges. I contacted the door mfg and
they can send me the bronze hinges to subsitute. However, since they
are installed, the thresholds can't be changed without removing the
doors and trim. Can I paint the thresholds and, if so, what kind of
paint will stick to the aluminum?
Roger Taylor

Most hardware and paint stores sell primers especially for galv. steel and
aluminum. Just clean threshold with 409 or Fantastic, very lightly sand
with 220 sandpaper or fine steel wool, wipe dry, and prime on a warm day,
but out of the sun. Any exterior finish canned paint can be used to cover
the primer. Or, you could mask off the primed area, then use a spray can of
preferred color, as this is a tiny area to cover, and won't drip, since it
is horizontal..

wrote in message
We ordered some doors for our house. We specified dark bronze hinges
and threshold. They arrived at the job and were installed before we
were able to check them. They arrived with silver aluminum or
stainless thresholds and brass hinges. I contacted the door mfg and
they can send me the bronze hinges to subsitute. However, since they
are installed, the thresholds can't be changed without removing the
doors and trim. Can I paint the thresholds and, if so, what kind of
paint will stick to the aluminum?

Many oil based (or epoxy based) paints are designed for painting metal
surfaces, however, if it is a high traffic area the painted surface
will not hold up as well as you would like. As long as your willing to
repaint every so often, the paint solution could work.

m Ransley

pay when you are happy is good advise

Hopkins

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but this is brand new
material. You have to kill the slick shiny surface. oil primer is not
always best -- ask a few paint stores for primers that really bond. i
know Porter has a really good latex primer, so I'm sure others do.
Porter even has a latex for painting directly to metal -- gotta say, it
stuck like glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Hopkins, Eric Hays wrote:
DTM with an automotive grey primer. Work on Heavy traffic areas. Regardless of
what others comment I'm saying its been done and works. I own a remodeling
company and we have done it with several different applications that work.
Check out my site for step by step illistrated instructions.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...old-66374-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, Eric Hays wrote:
replying to Hopkins, Eric Hays wrote:
DTM with an automotive grey primer. Work on Heavy traffic areas. Regardless of
what others comment I'm saying its been done and works. I own a remodeling
company and we have done it with several different applications that work.
Check out my site for step by step illistrated instructions.

The issue I see is that you need to evaluate if it's worth it. Once
painted, it will have to be periodically repainted, while if left as
an aluminum surface, it doesn't have to be. Same as a concrete porch
or similar. But if you're OK with that, then I'd paint it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Eric Hays, J Franklin wrote:
Our door sills/thresholds arrived silver anodized aluminum and NOT the bronze
we ordered. They are installed and my wife wants them painted and not replaced
due to the cost and hassle. Could you email me how you prep and paint
??(Check out my site for step by step illistrated instructions. ) Thx in
advance!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...old-66374-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Eric Hays, jph2431 wrote:
Can you please send me your site so that I can hear details and instructions
on how to paint and aluminum threshold thank you

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...old-66374-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Eric Hays, John wrote:
automotive grey primer

Can you please post your website address? I also have a silver threshold that
should have been bronze. The builder didn't check the specs before installing
and then it was too late to replace without a lot of work. This threshold is
in a high traffic area. Am assuming that we'll have to repaint in a few
years, even with your method? Thanks so much for your help!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...old-66374-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to J Franklin, coffeymugs wrote:
I am wanting the step-by-step procedure too.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...old-66374-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2020 6:14 PM, coffeymugs wrote:
replying to J Franklin, coffeymugs wrote:
I am wanting the step-by-step procedure too.

First thing is you must get permission from your HOA.Â* They'll also tell you what color to paint it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Oveur" wrote in message
On 5/12/2020 6:14 PM, coffeymugs wrote:
replying to J Franklin, coffeymugs wrote:
I am wanting the step-by-step procedure too.

First thing is you must get permission from your HOA. They'll also tell
you what color to paint it.

So much for the land of the free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 12 May 2020 19:58:20 -0400, Roger Oveur
wrote:

On 5/12/2020 6:14 PM, coffeymugs wrote:
replying to J Franklin, coffeymugs wrote:
I am wanting the step-by-step procedure too.

Why would you want to paint it? Then if you step on it, you'll ruin
the paint.

First thing is you must get permission from your HOA.* They'll also tell you what color to paint it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 13 May 2020 12:36:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"

Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Can you paint an aluminum threshold? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 July 9th 05 02:37 AM
Can you paint an aluminum threshold? [email protected] Woodworking 18 July 8th 05 10:41 AM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
how to paint a small Aluminum box? ahgu Woodworking 17 January 14th 05 03:21 PM