Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum threshold on cement floor

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 13:41:42 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3172065 Wrote:

One key tip: Tapcons are essentially a one shot deal. If you spin them
in
too fast you can strip the hole. Once you do that, you can't use that
hole
again unless you fill it with epoxy or something. You also usually
can't
loosen the fastener and tighten it again. Concrete isn't as forgiving
as
wood in that regard. It's basically "a screw them down tight and leave
them
alone" operation.

No, you can take the Tapcon out, and put 2 or 3 tooth picks in the hole
and drive the Tapcon back in. The toothpicks will act just like a
plastic or lead anchor, pressing against and gripping the rough sides of
the hole with soft wood that the Tapcon screw threads will also grip
well. Clear any dust out of the hole with a pipe cleaner first, cut the
toothpicks to length, and insert them pointy side up so that the screw
point automatically finds it's way in between the inserted toothpicks
for a uniform grip all around the screw.

While a toothpick might work in concrete for some period of time, I
wouldn't trust it as much as I would in wood. As I'm sure you know, it is
standard procedure is to use treated wood when there will be contact with
concrete. Why? Moisture.

Maybe I might consider slivers of PT wood if I had to R&R a Tapcon, but I
wouldn't trust a standard kitchen toothpick to last in concrete,

How about a couple of nylon tye-straps???