Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum threshold on cement floor

On 12/24/2013 11:47 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:34:07 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

The Streets wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold for commercial
doors. About six inches wide, and runs the width of two 36 inch
steel doors. One half of the threshold is loose, and needs
maybe four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look a bit like
drywall screws, but have really aggressive threads. Anyone know
what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as not to be a
trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

-- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

The brand I use are called Tapcons. Pre-drill the concrete using
a masonry bit of the correct size and lubricate the screws with
bees wax.

Aaaahhh , beeswax ! Great idea , thanks . BTW Chris , when you
drive these use a brand new bit in your screw gun . They turn tough
and if you cam the bit outta the socket yer screwed .

Use epoxy instead of beeswax. It lubricates on the way in, and helps
prevent pullout later - - - - -.

You can get the dual tube anchor adhesive from the industrial supply
house or what I've used for big screws and bolts which it the glass
capsule epoxy that you put into a cleaned out hole then install the
anchor using a drill attachment that breaks the glass tube containing
the epoxy and catalyst which mixes and spreads inside the hole around
the anchor. The epoxy is stronger than the concrete. Hilti uses a
plastic capsule but a number of manufacturers sell a dual tube system
wkich uses a long disposable mixing nozzle. ^_^

http://www.unisorb.com/pdf/gc24.pdf

TDD