Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum threshold on cement floor (follow up)

On 1/23/2014 8:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I had a set of collars the slipped on both metal and masonry bits and
were held in place with a set screw. Another thing that works for depth
control is a stack of fender washers on the bit. It gives you a positive
stop when using a hammer drill on a concrete wall to keep you from
drilling through to the other side. ^_^

Hmm, a good idea I can steal, if I ever do any
work again... Of course in my world I would need
eight washers and only have five. Then drop one
into some place where it would never be found.

Buy a box of 100. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum threshold on cement floor

On 1/24/2014 8:23 AM, Alan Smith wrote:
A threshold is a strip across the bottom of a door opening that seals
it when the door is closed, so cold (or hot) air does not seep in
under the door. A threshold can be wood, metal or vinyl, but a
popular option is aluminum, which is resistant to rot or water
damage, cleans easily and requires no regular maintenance. Many
aluminum thresholds have rubber strips that flex when the door is
closed to provide a tighter seal. Replacing a threshold with a new
aluminum one is fairly simple.Measure the bottom of the doorway with
a tape measure and buy an aluminum threshold to fit; most entry doors
are about 36 inches wide. Match height of the new threshold to the
old; make sure the new threshold is no higher off the floor to avoid
door closing problems. Use a rubber-centered threshold if the old one
had such a piece. For more information
http://www.buyliquidroof.com/liquid-coatings.html

The most durable seal especially for commercial doors where there is a
lot of traffic, is a solid flat threshold and the seal on the bottom of
the door. A brush strip seal on both sides works very well. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 21:45:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 1/23/2014 8:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I had a set of collars the slipped on both metal and masonry bits and
were held in place with a set screw. Another thing that works for depth
control is a stack of fender washers on the bit. It gives you a positive
stop when using a hammer drill on a concrete wall to keep you from
drilling through to the other side. ^_^

Hmm, a good idea I can steal, if I ever do any
work again... Of course in my world I would need
eight washers and only have five. Then drop one
into some place where it would never be found.

Buy a box of 100. o_O

That's always been my plan (but getting increasingly difficult to do).
I probably have 20 boxes of 92 (in every size) around the house,
somewhere.